·
Registered
1,831 Posts
End netting period.

Thanks for the report G.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
this needs to make the news and push for the end of netting, they should take off the poundage from there season quota that way all waterman lose out, good and bad, that will start getting the culperts caught.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Never fails, eventually the good guy get's hurt . Being fair or not, I don't think you can ever get a handle on it unless you end netting. Even if the good guy talks, you catch one and there's always going to be another one out there.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
no wonder theres not that many left. For the last 5 years it seems like a steady decline. very sad news

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
really sad really really sad....:nono:
It's really sad for the hard working honest watermen. Not only do they lose the amount of poached fish from their quota but get looked upon as criminals. This is a BIG case and a hard blow to them and I believe that THEY will find out who has set these nets and turn them in. I do believe in the past that they have looked the other way and not turned on their own but this has gotten WAY out of hand. I'm sure this has been going on for a long time and there are still plenty of nets out there just as the fishery has been miss managed a long time. Things don't change for the better until it gets REAL bad..............Gary

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
10 tons in 3 days? who handles the sale for DNR? Are they keeping 'em nICE? Can they move that much product? I could use the vig.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
More nets were found after this article was written ...

By JACK SHAUM Staff Writer The Star Democrat | 0 comments

BLOODY POINT Several tons of rockfish caught illegally in anchored gill nets off the southern tip of Kent Island have been recovered by Maryland Natural Resources Police.

The first of a series of nets tied together beneath the surface of the water about 900 yards long was discovered Monday afternoon. More were found Tuesday and Wednesday, said Sgt. Art Windemuth, spokesman for NRP. The recovery of the latest set of nets and their catch was still under way Wednesday afternoon. The fish were taken to the Department of Natural Resources facility at Matapeake on Kent Island.

There was no word Wednesday on leads or possible suspects in the placing of the illegal nets.

Windemuth said an estimated 5,721 pounds of fish were recovered from the first nets, and another 5,000 pounds in the second series. Since the third round of nets was still being unloaded Wednesday afternoon, there was no estimate how many fish they contained, but Windemuth said the total would likely top more than 15,000 pounds.

The fish were not released back into Bay waters because they apparently had been caught for some time, were highly stressed, and their chances of surviving were not good, Windemuth explained.

The value of the first 5,721 pounds was estimated to be about $15,000, but the total value has yet to be determined.

All the nets were discovered in the vicinity of the Bloody Point Lighthouse, which stands on a shoal that extends from the southern end of Kent Island.

After the first series of nets was found about 2 p.m. Monday, Windemuth said, NRP officers set up surveillance of the area in hopes of catching the poacher, but no one showed up. At 7 a.m. Tuesday, they began unloading the nets.

"They loaded about a ton of fish onto their patrol boat and then they called in our buoy tender, the Widener, and they loaded almost another two tons on the buoy tender," Windemuth said.

The second round of nets was discovered about 9 p.m. Tuesday and then Wednesday morning officers located still more of the anchored gill nets filled with fish.

"The fish that are legal to be sold … are being sold and the money is being escrowed into an account until the investigation is completed," Windemuth said, adding that it would then be used topurchase additional law enforcement equipment. "The fish that cannot be sold, because they are too small or too large, are donated to shelters and food banks."

As the fish arrived at the Matapeake facility, they were measured and weighed and made ready for shipping.

Floating gill nets that hang vertically in the water column and are attended by a waterman are legal in Maryland, Windemuth said. The waterman has to be within a mile of the net at all times so he can monitor it and remove species of fish that are not targeted.

The illegal nets confiscated off Kent Island are anchored gill nets that are heavy enough to be anchored to the bottom, cannot be seen from the surface, and are unattended. Anything that swims into them is caught. The first one was found prior to the start of the February rockfish season, which began Tuesday morning, Windemuth said.

"Normally at this time of the year, officers pay particular attention prior to the opening of the season. And with gill net season opening on Tuesday, they were looking for nets that were set out for the season," Windemuth said, explaining how the nets were found. "They find these through normal patrol, dragging grappling hooks through the water, and using information they might have received from informants things of that nature."

Locating illegal gill nets is not unusual, Windemuth said, saying more than 15,000 yards of them were recovered throughout Maryland's portion of the Bay last year. An NRP officer recently discovered about 2,100 yards of anchored gill nets in the Choptank River, he said. He could not say whether additional nets are likely to be found in the vicinity of Bloody Point Lighthouse.

NRP values public input in matters like these, Windemuth said.

"If they happen to see any activity that looks suspicious or unusual to them, please call NRP at 800-628-9944 to report this activity," he said. "We need the public's help to preserve our fishery

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm willing to lay down money that the recent finding of "devices" on the hulls of waterman's vessels and the recent "discovery" of these illegal nets are closely related. Great job NRP!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
"It's just a handful of bad apples. They're out of control," said Larry Simns, president of the Maryland Watermen's Association. "They don't think the laws apply to them. It's not fair to the guys who do this honestly." (From Balt Sun Article)

He's kidding right? What happened to "they are trying to starve our families" his usual BS.

Keep the heat up - BAN ALL NETTING!!!!

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
The REAL SAD part of all of this is the a$$ whipping the rock fish have taken in the past month or so. Between the NC incidents, this incident and much more undiscovered poaching, it is going to have a MAJOR impact on the fishery and expect BIG changes to result. It is going to be a real interesting Spring season to say the least...........Gary

·
Registered
970 Posts
Fortunately I don't think we will see much more of an impact because this has been going on for years... We will have another decline however.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
10 tons in 3 days? who handles the sale for DNR? Are they keeping 'em nICE? Can they move that much product? I could use the vig.
I don't know the answer, but I also wonder who was in line to keep that many illegal fish cool and take them to market in the first place?

·
Registered
547 Posts
The REAL SAD part of all of this is the a$$ whipping the rock fish have taken in the past month or so. Between the NC incidents, this incident and much more undiscovered poaching, it is going to have a MAJOR impact on the fishery and expect BIG changes to result. It is going to be a real interesting Spring season to say the least...........Gary
Your right on this one. It sucks to be right on something like this.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Get rid of all commercial harvesting except for hook and liners.
:soapbox:
This really pi:censored:es me off!
:52:

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
the bad thing about this is that this probably happens every year and its just this year that they are being discovered

glad to see DNR step up the pressure this year.

now, most importantly, we need the judges to hand down some serious penalties.
it's obvious that arrests don't deter these guys...maybe BIG fines and confiscation of boats, equipment and homes might!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can't wait for spring so I can fish those empty waters for some nice catch a release fishing. (insert sarcasm here) :fishing2:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
DNR does read this.WHY NOT STOP ALL NETTING OF ROCKFISH TO SAVE THE FISH???????????????????????????????????????????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts