Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

Spencer and I headed out at o'dark thirty Monday morning to get a few hours of fishing in before having to head home for the New Years party. We went right to the pilings and caught the end of outgoing, the bite was hot. No huge fish, but good sized and a ton of fun. With the wind of out east we were able to set a really nice drift which kept us moving right down the pilings. We picked fish off of about every single group. We did find one hot spot where there is a really nice drop off and drifted that area about 10 times to try for a big one. We did not get it and kept on going down the line with the same success. There were birds all over, but we were only getting small fish the few days before in those groups so we stayed on the pilings. Spencer picked up a tagged fish (see pic) which was pretty cool. He is going to call it in to get the reward and see where it was originally tagged. It was a VIMS tag so I assume it was tagged somewhere around the CBBT. We fished until about 11am, hit one group of birds on the way in to see if we could get lucky on a big fish, but no luck.

As we headed into Kiptopeake right by the ships there were about six boats drifting eels and they were ALL hooked up. Saw on BIG fish released so the bite must have been on. We were going to drift and jig, but really had to get down the road:mad:

All and all a great four days of fishing at the mecca. :D

I am packing back up as I type to meet Wild Bill and we are going to see what we can find on the catch and release front for a few days. Should be nice and quiet now that the season is closed and we hope to pick up a few BIG ones....we'll see, I will report from the Kiptopeake Inn in the evenings.

Happy New Year!

Brandon

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Brandon, You should have stopped at the ships on the way in. We were leaving at 2:00 and saw the same thing, stopped and cast BKD's for a while and picked up 2 40" and a 42" before we had to leave. I just don't see how the fishing can be any better.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bert

We will give it a try, I knew they were there, just did not have time.

Hi Les

No eels, all lures and flies this trip :D

Brandon

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
hey Those Green Tags Can Be Worth $$$- Did You Report Them ? Good Report Dude-

·
Registered
956 Posts
Green tag fish are part of a VIMS study of mycobacteriosis in rockfish. Green tag fish do not count against your daily limit. Tag gives a phone number to call. They like to have fresh fish if possible so a quick phone call when you catch one is helpful. If possible, they will meet you at the dock to study the fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts