1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z3

Man falls overboard while crabbing with his wife in Anne Arundel County

By Julie Zauzmer July 31 at 2:14 PM

A Maryland man fell overboard and died on Friday while he and his wife were crabbing in Anne Arundel County.

Ronald Gressitt, 63, of Pasadena, was found dead after a five-hour search, Maryland Natural Resources Police said.

Spokeswoman Candy Thomson said rescue workers from Natural Resources Police and the county fire department dove, searched the surface and used sonar in their hunt for Gressitt, who fell into Pasadena's Cornfield Creek, near the spot where it feeds into the Magothy River, which in turn feeds into the Chesapeake Bay.

Thomson said that Gressitt and his wife went out crabbing Friday morning. While his wife drove the boat, he put out crab traps. Then his wife looked back and saw him stumble and fall out of the boat.

She threw him floatation devices, but he did not reach them and disappeared beneath the surface, witnesses told Natural Resources Police.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
That reminds me of a story from years ago. A retired couple were out enjoying themselves on a summer day in their small skiff around the mouth of the Gunpowder river. A thunderstorm popped up so they apparently decided to beach their skiff on Carroll Island to get out of the rough water seas .They were both struck by lightning and killed. We never know what will happen in our lives. My condolences

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,150 Posts
Most adults dislike having to wear a PFD.

The auto inflating (CO2 canister) PFDs offered by several manufacturers are very comfortable and after wearing one for a few minutes the wearer does not seem to feel it is being worn.

I use mine on occasion (when I remember to put it on) and will continue to wear it.
Accidents happen and that sometimes can't be avoided, but wearing a PFD is no accident and can be rewarding.

Don't become a statistic. Life preservation is inexpensive.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Spoke with Ronnies wife Beverly last nite at funeral home and the facts of the accident are as follows:
It was around 8:00 am on a calm morning. They had just finished laying out a string of traps in about 8' of water no more than 20' from shore. Beverly began motoring slowly back to beginning of the string while they soaked and Ronnie slipped and fell overboard. She immediately threw a throwable floatations to Ronnie who had he head above water and swimming forwards the floatation devise when Beverly threw another PFD to him then he suddenly went under not to be seen again. There was a lady on a pier nearby who paddled kayak to the scene but neither were able to locate him. Unfortunate the only cell phone on board was in ronnies pocket. Lady returned to dock, and called authorities while Beverly stood by on scene. Just goes to show how quick things can go terribly wrong weather your 20' or 60 miles from shore. Beverly feels she did not do enough but I assured he she had done everything properly with what resouces she had available. I will make sure to pass everyone's well wisher to her. Thank you your prayers and thoughts!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ronnies son Matt called this afternoon after funeral and said things went pretty well today. Passed on everyone's condolences and showed him this thread and was touched by it.
NOW I NEED SOME HELP!!!!!!!!
He asked me if I could take him crabbing tomorrow and I have not been at all this year. My boat is located in the Bodkin at the mouth of the patapsco river and I am looking for any kind of report from that general area. I have a 1,200' trot line w/ snoods that I just baited with necks. I have a 42' dead rise that I can pretty much run anywhere but would like to stay local and stay out of the magiothy or the general area where this tragic accident recently occurred. I gave up my TFL two years ago so I can crab the rivers. Any help would' be greatly appreciated. Just want to take this young man out to get his mind off of things and hopefully catch the family some crabs for dinner. Thanks in advance and God bless!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Deepest condolences to family and friends.
a pier nearby
Not to be an alarmist but out of abundance of caution, consider requesting DNR check for potential ESD hazards associated with the pier.
ESD-01.jpg
Usually a problem in freshwater, this can become an issue in brackish waters after a rain event. If you've ever felt that alarming numb tingling:eek2: in your arm while outboarding through a marina after a rain event, you know what I'm talking about.

Short video
Longer presentation

1 - 10 of 10 Posts