Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all my friend and i have to go to morehead city for work for two weeks in july and two weeks august. i have a 22 grady and we were hoping to catch some pelagics close to shore. im not big on running out 30 miles in a small boat with a single screw. are there wahoo, tuna etc within 15 miles of morehead? any help would be greatly appreciated.
for the record though im in virginia im not from here and do not subscribe to the "lets go to nc and use their resource and push them out" therory. im from florida and believe me i know the impact out of staters have, so when i come to an area and use the resource i try to do the right thing. we only eat in local(ie no bk, mcdonalds, tgifridays, outback) restaurants, buy tackle and bait locally and try to keep the money local. we also use circle hooks and only keep one large fish per trip.(i dont need 100# of tuna).
thanks for any help

·
Registered
27 Posts
if the weather was right I would not be afraid to run that boat out 30 miles. But that is assuming the weather cooperates. There is a large fleet of boats that run out of morehead so you won't be alone. I am not all that familiar with fishing out of morehead I just know there are a lot of boats that run out of there. But I do know ocracoke which is just north and the dolphin are close to shore that time of the year. You may run across a scattered wahoo or 2 as well inshore like that. A lot of the fishing is done on the big rock out of there and the swansboro hole though which is atleast 30 miles offshore but I am sure that if you get there and talk to a local charter captain or 2 they will give you a couple of inshore places to try.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Stop at the state welcome center just as you get into town They have locations of the offshore wrecks, some right off Atlantic Beach. Might buy a local fishing map too. RJW sports center is a good place to visit full line tackle shop with lots of local experence. Also look at the Morehead newspapers web site for the fishing reports which are very good as is the Raleigh News and Observer's Thursday edition. It's a great place to fish a small boat in the ocean. Off the beach is protected by the Cape.

We travel from Virginia down there 4 or 5 times a year and it's one of the most Fisherman freindly places around

Boats

Boats

·
Registered
185 Posts
hi all my friend and i have to go to morehead city for work for two weeks in july and two weeks august. i have a 22 grady and we were hoping to catch some pelagics close to shore. im not big on running out 30 miles in a small boat with a single screw. are there wahoo, tuna etc within 15 miles of morehead? any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can catch king macks right out the Beaufort Inlet Shipping Channel all summer and peanut dolphin too. EJW Sports is on Arendell Street. Also check Joe Shute and Freemans in Atlantic Beach. If you want wahoo and tuna you will have to run to the Gulf Stream or Big Rock area.
Everybody around does slow trolling with live bait for kings and etc. Some sails are caught close to shore every year. Not very many but a few.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
You'd be better off going to Hatteras.20 mi.will put you on Sails,Marlin,Tuna,mahi & Wahoo.Morehead is 40 mi.to Big Rock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts