Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to Morehead City/Atlantic Beach from 7/10 - 7/18. I'm planning on bringing my 17' Whaler with me to fish and be able to check the area out by water.

Any ideas about fishing--what's running, where, what tackle should I bring, good local tackle shop, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John F.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1st go to Joe Shute's on the Atlantic Beach Causeway, talk to Joe or Gene. If you want call them first. www.captjoes.com As far as what tackle to bring, I would bring light with maybe something along a good 20-30lb class just in case. Just remember if you never fish for the big fish you may never catch one. Right now there is a good mix bag being caught flounder, some trout, and reds have really been biting. Also with everything seeming to be runnign 2 weeks behind you may want to put u a cobia rig out and see if you can pick up a big brownie, there were some huge ones caught serval weeks back. Everything I am giving you will be for inshore or near shore. If you want to go with a great captain, give Capt Brian Harrington a call www.extrememeasurescharters.com he is GREAT!!!!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
King macks are all over the inshore waters right now. Get some frozen or live bait. Rig them on a Hank Brown's rig, go to any of the local inshore reefs and hang on!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never fished for king mackeral before. My biggest trolling rods are pretty stiff with penn 330 gti level-winds. I use them for stripers--can they handle a king? I guess the question is what class tackle do I need. Sounds like fun. I may be able to get some 50s we use for offshore should I need them.

Thanks-

John F

·
Registered
185 Posts
your striper rods will do fine, may be a little heavy actually. Basically a light action rod with lots of line keeps the hook from coming out. but just use what you got.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The stiffer and heavier rods may be better suited to planer fishing. Use a #3 or #4 planer with 30' of leader tied to one of the two largest Clark spoons made or either a medium Drone spoon...gold or silver just make sure there's lots of flash. As said, find the bait & put'er in a slow circle. There has been a TON of bait lately.

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts