Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like everyone to share their most memorable deer hunting experience over the years. Now I know we all have many, but I am talking about the one you can't forget succesfull or not, funny or sad. Lets see them. I will share my memory of the "Eddie Buck". Edgar Fisher Jr was my wife's uncle he lived in Chesterfield off Centraila Rd. He was 67 yoa and had never taken a buck. I hunted often and Eddie started going with me. I have hunted family land in Surry County with my cousin Sea-Ya (Jeff) and others for years. And this would not be the first or last time a guest has taken "THE BUCK". December 1987 we met at the dog pen to layout the plan of attack. While were there we heard dogs coming in from another club they were "chunkin'", I remember high tailin' to the stand with hopes to get a shot at whatever they were runnin'. Ol Eddie was a little slow and had a bad heart and he was a puffin & steamn behind me when he said his chest was hurting and he couldn't go any further. I coached him to continue on a little farther and he could take my stand. He did and I went about 200 yards away and we set up, the dogs came into the area and left out of hearing so we waited. It wasn't too long before we heard the same pack coming back into hearing, closer and closer they came a pack of Walkers and they were smokin, the woods were screaming with dogs I thought my chest was now going to explode, I got in the ready position, gun to my shoulder and lookin hard, then....you guessed it...the explosion of the 12 gauge double barrel LC Smith from about 200 yards away where I left Uncle Eddie. After a long pause and hopes that he missed came another blast, it was finished what ever led them dogs all over Spring Grove was now on the ground. I jumped up and the chatter on the radio began my cousin was calling me thinking I had shot I could hear the concern in his voice, he was excited "Did ya get him"? come on answer did ya get him? I answered that I didn't shoot that it was Eddie, then came the AAAWWW NAAAWWW's, my cousin had seen the buck and could not get a shot I know that vision of the buck still haunts him, he knew that this buck was not normal it was NonTypical. I procededed on to Eddie with a few hollars and he called me in and as I approached it was the first deer I had ever seen that couldn't lay his head down because of the rack. I ran up to it and start counting while broadcasting over the radio " 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 on one side and now the other 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 with two nice perfect drops about 5-6 inches on each side." The rack was massive and wide and the deer was quite small which made it look all the bigger. None of this mattered to Eddie it was his first buck and what a way to start at 67 yoa. Needless to say the "regulars" had a bitter sweet feeling about it but all in all everyone was happy for him. I had the deer mounted and put it in the show for him and it scored 190 and some change and I know it brought Uncle Eddie some good times bragging. Edgar Fisher Jr passed away in 1992 and he didn't have any children so I was lucky enough to be left the mount after he passed on and now I display the majestic buck high above mine and when people ask about where the beautiful buck came from I am always willing to tell the story about the "Eddie Buck".

·
Registered
110 Posts
I hunted a swamp in Surry several years back. I set up with a bunch of holly trees behind my stand tree and had a buck come in within 40 yards but wouldn't commit to the scent canister I had put out. He was out of sight behind my stand in those hollys for about 40 minutes just grunting away, hoping that doe would come to him.
Of course, I couldn't move for that whole time, but I had to stand up one time, and did so without spooking him.
Right around dusk he made his move giving me a broadside shot
at 30 yards and I put the knight bullet right behind the front leg.
Through the smoke I saw him run away, and I thought , How could I have missed him that close. Then, I heard him fall in a creek, which was just out of my sight. So I figured that I'd hit him
and I'd find him in the creek, and I proceeded to reload. Several seconds went by and all of the sudden here he comes running right back to where I'd shot him ( and running strong I might add). I was just about to take a running shot at him when he just piled up, right on the spot of the first shot.
That bullet didn't really hit any bones and it ran off like it had been bowshot. Now I aim for the shoulder and knock'em down.
I also shoot the Barnes expander bullet now, and they really put it on'em.
He wieghed in at 150 lbs, and was a 20 inch wide 8 pointer.
Whatta day!!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
And now almost 20 years later that spot is still the "Eddie Buck Stand".Might as well post a pic Nicbuc.

Mine was when I was fifteen.Thirty one years ago.Started hunting with my day at the ripe age of 8 carrying his stool.Got my first gun,a 12 gauge bigger than me at age 10 and started hunting.At age 12 dad jumps two does at starts yelling ,here they come,here they come,I hear them coming from behind me and jump up off my stool and my first shot got one.Rolled her.Dad was proud.My first deer.
That was one and now when I was 15 yr. old story.
I had killed two small bucks by now but never a trophy.I got a 15" eight pointer earlier in that year.Now it was Xmas eve at noon and four of us left hunting.Was ready to go also but the other three wanted to put on one more short hunt in these thick pines next to this field.So I drag in the woods and stand by a tree.Don't even kick the leaves out under my feet because it's no deer in there I thought.And I heard the leaves stiring soming my way.I see this buck with nice horns but put the bead on my 12 gauge on his shoulder like dad taught me,Don't look at the horns he says,and pulled the trigger. He keeps going and I put a load at his tail.Then here comes one little beagle with the dog driver and he asked what I had shot.I told him a small buck like the one I killed earlier in the year.Well we proceed to follow Brownie the beagle about 50 yards and there lie this huge thick nine pt. with 10" center tines.First load was the killer in the shoulder and second put a handfull of shot around his tail.Couldn't wait to get home and tell dad.No cell phones back then.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hook1, First of all I live in Williamsburg as well for some reason I just noticed that on your post. Cool story I bet you were sick when he ran off knowing you had to track him but pretty dang glad when he came back an piled up. I don't know about you but I am color blind and can't see blood unless it's mine [smile] and it is very difficult for me to track deer so it is very important for me to drop them where they stand or within a couple hunered yards or so. Oh yea Sea-Ya is also color blind so he is under the same restriction. Ask him to tell you aout the "video buck" that was before I shot the deer with his gun so in my book the little scarf deserved it.... [grin]

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ok,the truth.
I was hunting this cut over black powder season and saw deer on another part of it.So the next season I move my hang on stand to where I saw these deer and Nicbuc puts a tripod where my hang on was.He goes before season with video camera in tripod and videos this nice 8 pt.Well come black powder season I get in my stand,he gets in his and my brother was in another tripod on same ~100 cutover.We had it covered but "Video Buck" come out on my side.I watch him walk into cutover and at 100 yrds. I let the smoke fly.He starts crashing across cutover toward my brother and he can hear him but can't see him because of a road between us with small pines.But half way to the road he drops out of site.Yea,got him.I think that is how it went.
Thanks for helping me drag him out Nicbuc.Now get out there with your camera again and scout me another one up.[grin][grin]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boy it sure is funny how you remember that story That sounded like the Bill Clinton version of the sex he didn't have[grin] but anyway as I remember it you never killed a deer in that cutover and you gave up on it so you helped me put up my tripod, and when you saw the video buck you put you trusty ol climber or it may have been a lock on but anyway about 200 hundred yards away and yes the deer came out by you and you got him, although i was a little reluctant to help drag him out I figured you are family. Well several "trophies" were taken there even after I gave up the spot probally the biggest last Nov 2 election day our oldest member CT bagged a "hammer" there in the heat of the day. It was noon and about 80 degrees outside by that ol buzzard hung in there and got him. Nice 22inch WIIIDDDDDEEE close to 200 lbs perfect 8pt. He is 73 yoa and really puts his time in and it shows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts