Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never fished the Rappahannock River and was hoping somebody could give me a Motel Name that is Boater Friendly
around the Tappahannock Area. Is there a Boat Ramp nearby.
I have a 16Ft. Jon Boat and am interested in the Bowlers Wharf Area of the River and the Croakers who lurk there.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
245 Posts
I can't say too much on the hotel situation, though I pass through there alot never stayed and don't know what is a good hotel.

You need to keep the fishing license issue in mind. West of the bridge you need a fresh water fishing license, east of the bridge is saltwater.

Have fun and catch some for me.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
There is a Days Inn and a Super Eight. Coupla mom and pops also but they are kinda seedy. Public boat ramp at Dock St. is excellent. June Parker Marina isn't bad, last I heard was about 7 or 8 bucks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
June parker ramp fee has gone up to $10.00. You can get bait and and fishing info from "big Jim" at White's Supply next to the public ramp on Dock Street. As noted, you will need fw license above the bridge...sw below the bridge. Be prepared to be checked for license etc........... good luck...........rolf

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a boat license on my boat from Maryland. I believe Virginia and Maryland have an agreement to honor both licenses for the Bay.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
245 Posts
Your MD license should be fine until you get to the bridge, VA freshwater from there.

Rolf is correct on the public ramp, it is great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You can also go a little further south on RT17 to Waterview, there is a good public ramp on a creek. With your size boat it will give you the option of catching a few croaker in the creek if the river is too rough. We caught quite a few last weekend right at the mouth of the creek.

Be safe,

Rappangler

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have an OT question.....
VA gives MD reciprocity but do we (MD anglers) follow MD or VA rules? When VA is not allowed to catch Rock, you guys can come into MD waters and catch em' and follow our laws......

VA doesn't have a limit on Croaker as far as I know....
MD has a creel limit of 25........so if I go down the bay and catch croaker in VA waters can I only keep 25?

If I get a VA fishing lic can I then keep all I want?

Tony

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great Question, although I get tired of cleaning them after about 6 or 8. If thats all I keep I don't have to worry about creel limits. It also gives me an excuse next weekend to go again. HA.

If you give a MD DNR Revenue collector any excuse, he is going to write you up. I once had one tell me a couldn't measure Crabs with a ruler. Ha. He made me throw back 6 crabs that he said were 1/16' short. He measured two bushels of crabs. Can you imagine this ridiculous case in court, because that is where I was going if he had wrote me up.. They must have been running short on violators that year.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Antman, The conventional wisdom is that if you are fishing in Virginia waters you go by the Virginia regulations. Once you leave Virginia waters on your way back home in Maryland, DON"T STOP until you get to your departure port. The same holds true for Virginia anglers who are fishing in Maryland waters. Just don't stop along the way home and whatever you do don't put a line in the water if you have fish that don't meet the Virginia regulations. The basis of this is that there is a presumption that you caught your fish in the state waters where the DNR guys found you fishing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just returned from Tappahannock.
The public ramp at US360/Dock Street is excellent, and there's also a fishing pier there.
There is a Moose Lodge at the ramp with very friendly staff and members. The Moose also has a fishing pier. Maybe you should be a Moose member.
The Super 8 Motel is very nice but the Days Inn is terrible (guess where I stayed).
Have fun,
Swampfox

1 - 17 of 17 Posts