Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 75 HP Joshson ( 2 cycle ) Hesitates when I give it throttle and some time dies. after 2 or 3 attemps it goes fine. sounds like its starving for gas. Any motor experts out there have any Ideas. I checked the filter and have fresh gas. Could it be a Vacuum leak? carb set up? Hotter plugs? I'm thinking fuel delivery.. Any help or ideas would be great

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is what I would try. If you have a portable gas tank fill it up with fresh gas(high test) and a fuel system cleaning additive. Don't forget to add your regular amount of 2-cycle oil if the engine does not have its own oil lubrication system. Make your fuel cleaning additive mixture slightly greater than recommended. Run this mixture into the engine. Let the engine run for 20 to 30 minutes. Advance the throttle(rev it up) a few times in this period to ensure that the mixture gets into all jets in the carb. Then let this mixture sit for 24 to 48 hours.

Then hook the engine back up to your normal fuel system and see if there is improvement. (as long as you know that this is a good clean fuel source)

If it is a little better but not back to normal- repeat the process.
You can do this until the engine runs like it use to.

Sometimes this process is just not enought and you will need to remove your carbs and clean them manualy. (A job that requires some mechanical skill)

If this process has no effect at all- your issue could be electrical related to engine timeing.

If that is the case you should take the engine in to your normal sevicing dealer.

Good Luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also-

If you can get help(another person) you could take the boat out on the water and run it and at the point of hesitation you could spay Carb-cleaner(availible at NAPA)into the engine intake and if it takes off with no problem you will have isolated your problem to a lean or lack of fuel condition.

Then you know you have dirty carbs. :clapping2:

Again,
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Good suggestions, but I've not heard this one. It happened to me only once, but check for water in the carb bowls. Hopefully, you have a bolt/screw that faces forward on each bowl. Take it out, let the stuff drain, put it back. Put rags at the bottom to catch them when you drop them!.
It takes a while for the additives to "dissolve" water in the bowls and is aggravating as can be until it clears up.
Hope this works for you.
budc

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Is the bulb firm and staying firm? Drain the carbs if can get to the screws to let out any junk. Use a small aux fuel tank with a heavy dose of seafoam, B-12 or other carb cleaner. It doesn't take much crud to plug the low speed circuits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts