Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a good digital trail cam at a decent price. After talking with freinds, shops and online I decide to go with the Moultrie. MAN let me tell ya it's bada$$. Takes digital photo's, and/or video, and has numerious setting options. Bought two 125 mem cards ($20/each) which hold about 140pics each, it will take a up to a 256 whihc would hold close to 1000pics. All I gotta do is switch out the mem cards, take home and put'm in the memory card reader ($20) and I'm set. Otherwise I'd of had to take the entire camera back home. For a total of $160 I'm VERY IMPRESSED. Many other stores had the camera alone for over $150, WALMART was $98.

If you're in the market for a trail cam, check it out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the same one. Bought it about a month ago at the same place for the same price.
I never bought one before now because i didnt want to pay $200 and up for a digital and didnt want the hassal of a 35 mm.
So far it works good. its been out for 3 wks. Testing in the yard it didnt live up to the 32 ft. range it claimed too. But only about 14 ft.
Which works for me anyway. says the battery life is only 20 days . guess i'll take a new battery with me sunday.
I take my digital camera with me and pop the card out of the trail cam and look at the pic's right then.
Let us know if you get any pic's and have fun.[grin]

·
Registered
659 Posts
H2O,
How many pixels does it have. I have been looking and wondering if the 1.3 pixels will do a good job. I see some that have 4.1 pixels, but they cost many $.
Thanks
Bubba[angel]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 1.3 mega pix, with an option for a high quality or a standard qualiuty pic. I've gpt mine on a HQ pic, not sur of the differnance in quality or battery life? All in all for $100 it can'tbe beat, IMO. Hopefully I'll figue out the online pic posting BS and be able to provide my experiences.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have a lot of experience with my 35mm Camtracker and it is very nice, commercial quality.
The downsides of it are price (over $400), 35mm (cost of film, develop, and print) as many prints are of does, squirrels, or varmits, etc. In a typical 24 exp roll, you many only have 5-6 sweet buck photos. The original camtracker camera is hardwired into the housing and cannot be used as a camera during the "off season".
The pluses is that it takes very nice photos with high quality Carl Zeiss lenses. It fuctions on lithium photos batteries and "C" batteries which last all fall/winter in all temps. It fuctions flawlessly as far as snapping the photo at the correct time to capture the deers walking/running photos....of course some are rump shots?

My buddy is looking at a digital and Iam interested too because Just like with my persoanl digital camera.....no waste on film, processing, etc......if you get alot of squirrels, etc....so what.

$100......the price is right.......1.3 megabytes should be good enough.
Picture quality.......I would like to see or hear about.
Battery life and costs per season......I would want it to be able to last 30 days in the winter.
I would hope the batteries were rechargeable.....so not to switch film costs for battery costs.
And lastly does it fuction well......flash, does it center the deer in the photo or get alot of nose or rump shots.

The new digital Camtracker has a Sony digital camera inside that is removeable for use during the off season but it is again pricey at I believe just over $400.

Cant wait to see and hear.

Mark

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'69 that is very original of you. come up with that all on your own or did you boyfreind help you write that[wink]

just foolin of course. any luck in VA?

·
Registered
621 Posts
H20,

I have been waiting to hear about your new trail camera......anything back yet???

I just put my 35mm Camtracker out Saturday.....so it will be weeks before we pull a full roll.......I have had it for years now.

My buddy is interested in going digital and so am I....as I previously posted.

Any report on quality and post some photos.

And leave those VA boys alone....they ain't like us![grin]

Mark

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark, check'd it for the first time last week. 4 of hte 7 pics turned out. The others were blank. I tested it and adjusted it a little. It has a 1-2 second delay between sensing and actually taking hte pic so I changed the angle a bit. All pics were of good quality. 1 little fork hoen and some does. One of the doe pics she must of been less than a foot fromt he camera, she was licking one of her fawns I asume becasue i could see another set of hers, but her body was blocking the rest. the detail form the furtherest away pics was the same as the detail from the super close up pics. Very impressed with ease of operation, options and pic quality for $100......but again many other stores wanted over $150 for the same camera. Shop around. Memory crad switch out was a piece of cake. Open up and yank the "old" one and put it a new one. No need to take entire camera out. I slipped'r into the card reading at home and was enjoying the show. I figured out that it seems to be a morning trail. Every photo or triggered blank photo was between 4:30am and 7:30 am, so it's been worth while so far. I moved it to a creek bottom with a main trail, fresh rub and a creek crossing. Seems to be very little acticity comopared to years past but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeh Mark, it has a battery status display. they say the battery will run about 20days, which is about right. 6 volt Battery's are about $5 or so. But I think I'm gonna buy a few of the rechrgable ones and the charger. It's a little more up front but pays for itself in the long run. Also, no devoping and purchasing film is nice too, that's $10-15$ saved right there, which would cover 2 months worht of batteries.

Any of you guys have exerpience with the rechargable 6-volt batterys? Life expectancy? Holding a charge?

·
Registered
621 Posts
It uses the big old 6 volt lantern batteries?

I would be interested in seeing how long a rechargable one of these lasts?........I hope they do have a long life or it is a near trade off with film and processing......minus the waste of pics on squirrels, etc.

Do you have the camera out in the field?
Have you gotten any photos off of it yet?

Mark

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, read earlier post about first pics...(ie 4 of 7). The rechargeable batterries should be the ticket but I want to know more about how long they last.....6 volt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts