Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's just a matter of time before its proven, but I believe there are cougars in Va. There have been 2 recent unconfirmed sightings in Chesterfield county, and someone at my hunt club in Brunswick County has seen some tracks which exceed those of a bobcats. Mountain lions have been confirmed in West Virginia and Carolina. I hope I get to shoot the first one.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I dont know for sure but I have heard of 2 large cats seen around dismal swamp.These cats were the size of walker hounds and supposedly had long tails.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Im from Halifax County, VA but a guy I know in Charlotte County has a trail cam picture of what appears to be a mountain lion. The tail is really long and obvious but you cannot see the rest of the cat. I think for sure that is a mountain lion. The ground was too hard for any tracks.
Fishrxdr

·
Registered
322 Posts
There are a number of cougars that hang out in Va... at a few bars in particular in Arlington. Harry's Tap Room in Clarendon is cougar central. I stopped hunting for them ever since before I got engaged...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It's just a matter of time before its proven, but I believe there are cougars in Va. There have been 2 recent unconfirmed sightings in Chesterfield county, and someone at my hunt club in Brunswick County has seen some tracks which exceed those of a bobcats. Mountain lions have been confirmed in West Virginia and Carolina. I hope I get to shoot the first one.
It sounds like they are migrating eastward rather quickly. It's been about 8 years since I hunted land 30 miles north of Danville, just west of Chatham. At that time there were Cougar in the area and sorry to tell you, but you are too late to shoot the first one -- the first in the state anyway. Livestock farmers don't care for Cougar. The farm we hunted bought Donkeys to help defend the stock.
Yes....:yes:......Donkeys!! They are fearless and stomp the life out of them.
budc

·
Registered
14,252 Posts
There are several mountain lions in MD and VA but they are very rarely seen. They are very stealthy and nocturnal.......Gary

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have seen just one (Cougar) on my property here in SW VA about 4 years ago. Scared the **** out of me. Since it was Sept. and I was Scouting without a weapon. Now I have a CCP or CWP and don't go into the woods or field without it. Better safe than sorry. But at the time I never thought I'd run into a cougar in VA. The funny thing is it use to be in the VADGIF game laws. That it was illegal to harvest a Cougar/Mtn Lion in VA. But if you ask DGIF about Cougars they say they are not here. Then why would they (use to) put it in the book if it wasn't here. That's like saying you can't harvest Elephants, Lions and Tigers. Oh my!!!! But they are here and I have seen one. Plus a friend of mine has one stalking a 4-point buck on a trail cam. AWESOME and PRICELESS.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have seen just one (Cougar) on my property here in SW VA about 4 years ago. Scared the **** out of me. Since it was Sept. and I was Scouting without a weapon. Now I have a CCP or CWP and don't go into the woods or field without it. Better safe than sorry. But at the time I never thought I'd run into a cougar in VA. The funny thing is it use to be in the VADGIF game laws. That it was illegal to harvest a Cougar/Mtn Lion in VA. But if you ask DGIF about Cougars they say they are not here. Then why would they (use to) put it in the book if it wasn't here. That's like saying you can't harvest Elephants, Lions and Tigers. Oh my!!!! But they are here and I have seen one. Plus a friend of mine has one stalking a 4-point buck on a trail cam. AWESOME and PRICELESS.
So if you shoot one and want to get it mounted, do you have to call the game warden and get it tagged ( mounted....please no jokes about the other kind of cougar )

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't think it's legal to take a Cougar still in VA. It's not recognized as a game species. So I would think it would be protected unless it :thumbup: attacked you. Yea that's right it was attacking you or your livestock. Then call the CPOs (Conservation Police Officers) (old term Game Warden). Old habits are hard to brake. You know what I'm going to call them. Hold tight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yea, as I thought. You must be an emanate threat to you or your live stock. Then after killing said threat you must contact the CPOs. So you can not hunt it or just have it pass by and harvest it. Sorry!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pleasant Shade...in Brunswick County...YIPES...that's at my back door (My family lives in Freeman)...A couple of weeks ago something killed one of my nesting hens...one of my brother's (avid hunter) thought maybe a bobcat by the chunks of flesh and teeth marks left..now I'm beginning to wonder!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could've been a bobcat. Lots of them out there. I am going to do some predator calling tomorrow night if it is not raining too hard.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am amost certain I saw one in Goshen Va last year. I was hunting on the very top of a mountain and as the sun came up I could hear deer tearing through the woods. Behind them I saw what I thought was a deer until I saw a long tail. This was in very low light and I only could only see it for a few seconds.

·
Registered
14,252 Posts
I saw one in Libertytown, MD a few years ago..........I think as once again it was low light and all I saw was the animals rear and long tail jumping into the woods.........Gary

1 - 20 of 21 Posts