Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do some trout fishing this weekend in the mountains of Virginia. I live in Virginia Beach but would travel up to 4 hours NW. Anyone know of any river that holds trout stocked or not/delayed harvest or not. Not looking to keep any or just a few. Really just want a nice place to chill in the mountains. Anyone?

I trout fish in the SC mountains every year learned from some professional noodlers last year those guys are sick with it.

· Registered
2,706 Posts
C-note

This time of year the roanoke rivers, blue ridge parkway and others are beginning to stock the brown and rainbows. We always have fun up there i fish in Lynchburg in some stocked rivers myself. Call this number for more info (434) 525-FISH.. good luck Brandon

· Registered
760 Posts
Near Graves mountain lodge ( Below Culpepper ) we usually camp at the end of the road and spend the weekend. Great native fishing, but you have to go up the creek a bit and use stealth, but you can catch them all day.

Also west of staunton all the flood control resevoirs like elkhorm, Hearthstone and such ( look on a map) ( Stocked trout)

Bull pasture and calf pasture river are also in that area and they hold both stocked and native trout

· Registered
230 Posts
i go to school out here in roanoke, and the river is basically next door to my house to i do a lot of fishing in the roanoke. they stock the river and just stocked it on the 1st of october so it wont be stocked again until november but yeah there are some delayed harvest sections which i actually fished today and caught a few small rainbows. the river is actually in salem and has some nice places to fish. pm me if u want or need to know more.

· Premium Member
1,299 Posts
OH DO I HAVE A PLACE FOR YOU

Sugar Hollow Resevoir...it's a BEAUTIFUL lake nestled in between some mountains just outside of Charlottesville and it's fed by the North and South fforks of the moorman river...it's super deep and hold some enormous traout as well as truly large Crappie and some humonous yellow perch...evry one I have sent ther comes back with "how did you ever find this place" it took a lot of searching, check it out at the DGIF web site for trout and the foliage will be exceptional if you don't go too late. it sits on the edge( but not in) the Geo Wash Nat Forest...I hope when I move to las Vegas next year I can find A mountain lake as beautiful and fishy as Sugar Hollow was when I lived in Richmond...I promise...fish or no fish you will NOT be sorry...you wind thru a bunch of little back roads (all paved until you get to the actual lake) and you pass by the leased part of the Moormans River that flows out of the dam at the base of the lake and IT holds some really nice fish as well...when you drive up and look UP at the dam you'll know it's a cold water trout lake...enjoy!!!

Oh yea...bring hip boots or waders for crossing the N&S Moormans

sorry about the typo's...boss decided to take us all toi the local Tiki Bar and he said I was a wimpie beer drinker ( I'm of GErman decent) and he refused to meet me at the Hofbrau Haus in Las Vegas in December for a TRUE BEER drink off so I put him under the table and in a Taxi...thurs when I go back to work should be interesting

· Registered
8,201 Posts

If you ever want to have a great book for finding placs to fish - this is it. Awesome maps and places to fish all over Virginia
We still have 3 or 4 copies left. I will be back in the shop Friday at 7 am if you need one

· Registered
742 Posts
I fished Beaver Creek up near Bridgewater VA two weekends ago. It is flyfish only catch and release. They only allow 4 people per day. It is only $5 per day. It is first come first serve. If you call Mossy Creek Fly shop in Harrisonburg they can point you in the right direction. Place is full of 18" plus trout. We caught some in the 16-18" range. Fish spook very easy.

www.mossycreekflyfishing.com

· Registered
31 Posts
Is it me, or are Virginia Trout regulations unbeleivably complex and confusing?????

I am going to a lodge in Shenendoah for three nights starting Sunday. I was hoping to get some fishing in on Monday or Tuesday.

Any suggestions for fishing locations near Luray or near the Skyland Resort in Shenendoah?

Thanks.

· Registered
129 Posts
i went to virginia tech and was there for 8 years (obviously spending more time in the woods fishin and hunting than going to class.) I would recommend two places, although many are very cool...First, the Cascades on Rt 460 above Blacksburg are very cool..its a scenic hike up some nice terrain with the ending being a huge waterfall. You will catch only small fish here, but they are native fish brooks and browns if i recall. Incredible colors though. The second place would be mossy creek around harrisonburg which might be a shorter trip for you. This larger streams takes you through the low country farmalnds and here you ahve a chance at some much larger trout...as far as beauty and access, these two places can't be beat....good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.