Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got out around lunch Sat, which was high tide and there were solid marks all the way from the mouth of Podickory Point Marina to the 30 ft drop off. Used the rest of my lug worms from last week and caught a load of small croaker, a variety of diff, size spot, and some nice size perch. At drop off there were schools of rock, large and small from 5 ft off the bottom to 15 ft but I avoided livelining with the season reopening Sunday. I did try spot fillets for bigger perch but the worms were the hot ticket. With so many spot liveliners can stock up quickly Sunday. Every drop for 2 1/2 hours had a fish or two. I ususally avoid the weekends because I hate powerboats throwing me around. My boat is 7500 lb and and wakes were endless. A steel hulled fireboat about 40 ft long threw a massive wake almost capsizing me. If he was going to a fire or rescue the safety of the boats during his run need to be part of the plan,

·
Registered
686 Posts
Did you have to doge the crab pots? I would like to fish that are but I always see crab traps everywhere there. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pots at the mouth of the Magothy are on the southern side of the river between the marina and Sandy Point. They don't go out very far and this week were in 10 to 12 ft. I was fishing 15 to 17 and drifting and tried the dropoff at 30. Too many fish across a very wide river to go near the pots. There are pots outside of the jetty on Gibson island but when I was there last week fished inside the jetty with none in sight. If its really rough on the open bay inside the jetty is a calm spot, but for rock and bigger perch the dropoff at 30ft.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Went out again this Sat (8/7)to same area. Seas were calmer. There were still a bunch of spot and perch in 17 ft. 30 ft drop off holding rock at 20 ft though most looked small. Could not get a rock livelining 5 to 6 in spot. Anglers out of bloods and lugworms but used nightcrawlers and still got around 20 spot and perch. Was liveling at low tide with slow current but with drizzle in am and increased precip in pm and I fished before the weather got worse. There were only 2 other boats fishing near me at Podickory pt. If rain didn't arrive would have jigged metal next. People when I left marina were pushing Tolchester but I didn't want to have to run south into the storm later in day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts