Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is complete chaos. If you want to LTJ breaking blues, rock, and macs...DO NOT waste your time there. There's fish there but the trollers are out there running their boats like Humvees through the streets of Baghdad. It's a race to the birds and they plow right through the middle of them. What ever happened to trolling around the edges of the school? And the guys trying to jig have to beat the trollers so they're forced to fly in there full speed, cut the motor and hope for a fish or two before the posse gets there. I wasted a half hour there yesterday and had to get the hell out. I ran across to eastern side, up the bay to the Choptank, across to Breezy for gas, and down the western side. When I got back to the mouth of the Pax there were NO boats there and we bailed blues like dolphin until we ran out of time. I guess if you're into trolling you can fight the crowd and pick away at them. Jigging is impossible if there's more than a couple boats. We found some really nice schools of fish away from the crowd too. People just have to be willing to go look.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How did you bail the blues? Where you going 3-5 mph and catching one and reeling to back of boat. Then getting 2-3 more on before pulling one in? I have thought about this but I was concerned that the blues would shake off the line.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you bail the blues? Where you going 3-5 mph and catching one and reeling to back of boat. Then getting 2-3 more on before pulling one in? I have thought about this but I was concerned that the blues would shake off the line.
I don't troll. We found the blues under sitting birds. (that's my pro tip of the day) They were stacked up in 30 ft of water on the bottom not busting any bait. We dropped metal on their heads and when we hooked a fish several more would follow the hooked fish to the boat. We'd drop the jig back down and they'd hammer it 4-5 ft off the back of the boat. We'd sling them in and let them flop while pitched back to the school. It was a frenzy til we had all we needed for the smoker. Can't do that with trollers around. They F&*k everything up.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We found 3 nice schools of fish yesterday. None of them were working the surface. All were located by investigating birds sitting on the water in a tight group. I would move in slowly and drift over the area watching the graph. This is what we found.....

The western side from the mouth of the Pax to Breezy looked like this the entire way....

More bait than I've ever seen in the bay. Mostly rain minnows and some schools of menhaden.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Nice report.

I seem to remember you were rebuilding a boat. I assume you finished it. Did you ever post pictures of the finished project? If so where can I view them? It looked like quite a project.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok thanks. The bailing part had me confused. I was wondering about how that would look. What you described sounds like standard practice for breaking fish or birds on bait. Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
885 Posts
No conflicts at all between the LTJ fleet and trolling fleet this morning! (perhaps because there was not a single boat out there from the LTJ fleet).

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yesterday the trollers were stepping on each other's dicks too. It was literally a race to the birds as they plowed straight through the school. Word gets out that there's macs somewhere and people get nuts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i was in the mouth of the Pax for 4 hours today, and got completely skunked don't think i saw two boats fishing out there the whole time. one of those days where i couldn't find any action for my kids. Not sure if i was doing something wrong or if the fish just weren't around or what. did anyone else have any luck around there today? Be honest...hearing how great others did will keep my head from swelling up the next time i have a good day out there.

And i was trolling because i couldn't find any good LTJ opportunities. But for the record...i'm more of a gentleman troller. Try to stay out of everyone's way when I'm dragging like that.

·
Registered
885 Posts
There are lots of areas with fish from Targets to Parker's and across - today included. Check your PM. As v-hull recommends, better to go elsewhere than try to fight a mixed crowd of trollers and cast-n-blasters.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
My wife and I went out this evening from 5:30 - 7:30 in the mouth of Pax- It was a nice easterly breeze - but we found the schools of Blues and rock - we had much success with jigging lil bunker spoons - I crimped down the hook barbs - and we C&R'ed with a lot of success. There was a lot of bait out there - the most that I have seen all year -

Beautiful sunset on the way in.

Rob

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just because the birds are giving up the location of the fish doesn't mean they're not there. If I don't see any activity I'll either burn some gas or drift over a few areas that routinely hold fish. Many times the fish are tight to the bottom and you have to drop metal on their heads to get their attention. Outside the crab pots between Drum Pt and Cove Pt usually holds fish in 25 ft of water. Drift or troll slowly through the area looking for marks. Those pound nets aren't out there because they look pretty. Also there's an area off Drum Pt that goes from 15-60 ft of water pretty quick. This area deserves some attention when the fish aren't active at the surface.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Schitty Capt is probably more like it, but I try. I'll be out one day this week. I'll be in touch. If I can't find any fish I'll follow you around. My time on the water is an all time low this year and it's not going to get any better. We just had our offer accepted on a 78 acre horse farm in St Marys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts