Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing the end of the York and York spit to no avail over the past month. - mostly trolling. I'd enjoy getting my kids excited about fishing but I'm missing the key ingredient, fishing....Any pointers for the next months efforts? Should I skip trolling, just fish flats for now for the next month, or try chunking near the spit.

-M

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Look for the birds working! Circle the birds; do not troll through them as that will drive the school of feeding fish down and away. Use 6 inch storm/chesapeake lures in light-green or pearl white with a 6 to 8 oz. inline lead. Use a six to eight foot leader between the lead and the lure. Drop it back until it touchs bottom twice and then lock the reel in place. This has worked well the last few times that I fished the Bluefish rock area.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That's some good advice.

With some more cold weather, there'll be action in this area over the next few weeks. Get out there with the kids doing the bird watching and you'll catch some rock. The kids will enjoy looking for diving birds. Try the mouth of the York main channel and the area from New Point Comfort lighthouse down to York Spit. It's a good area for early season action. Rock probably won't be too large, maybe up to 30", but find the birds and you'll find some fish. Keep your bait size to 5 - 6".

Have fun with the kids.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
two years ago I saw birds diving near the York Beach...I noticed swirls...got out my fishing rod and small storm and cast to the birds...lots of small fish.....just right for the kids. had lots of short hits.

Problem is: York now has posted "no fishing " signs where I was casting from shore.

The floating docks just in front of the "wharf" and parking deck is right where they were feeding ...I have considered taking my boat in there and casting light tackls, as I did two yearsa go (just for fun.)

It was an outgoing current. Once two cooks came out from the restaurant and began casting and catching. Also a fellow walked up with his rod (we were all in the "no fishing") area...he said these rockfish have been there since he was a kid. He said he came down every fall and caught plenty of 16 to 18 inch rockfish in that very spot (year -in year-out).

A hit on every cast !

I took my teen age grandchild up one evening at dusk and we had a ball...good thing the police did not see us..

Too bad that the signs are there now. Tourists and other gwakers love to watch fishermen.

But it could be a small boat or kayak bonanza.

Consider trying it with your kids on an outgoing current in the early morning or afternoon.

Bob Allen Hampton Va

·
Registered
771 Posts

I haven't trolled much this year, but in years past the channel edge in front of the range lights has consistently produced schoolies in the 18-24" range. Tandem buck-tails (1oz + 1/2oz) behind a 12-20oz sinker (dropped off a 3-way) bouncing on the bottom worked best for me there.

Follow the channel edge over those "obstructions" as they seem to hold fish. Also had some luck trolling stretch 25's, and tandem buck-tails past the point where the "danger shoaling sign" is.

These are a couple spots I will try if I don't see birds working, but active birds and bait on the FF screen would probably be the best bet. One thing that has helped me when I know I am over fish, but not getting hit…is to downsize the lure. If 4-6" storms/shads aren't doing the trick… smaller buck-tails might be the ticket. Over-slot stripers will hit a 1/2oz buck-tail if that is the size bait they're looking for. I guess it's the ole "match the hatch" plan, but it can make a big difference in the fishing.:yes:

Casting ½-1oz buck-tails, 4" storms, and the like around the range light structures has also been productive. Same deal at YSL and I've had better luck on the up current side at both locations.

Keep at it…Hope your kids are soon yelling FISH ON!:clap:

James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts