Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Admiral & me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was discussing this Turtle issue ,with my Admiral last evening--I'm no turtle man, but it seems to me we Outta set up a BADT Fund--
-It would be something like this.
-The DNR Freeze the Fishery , & allow only the 2006 licensed Harvesters ( Based on the same guide lines used in 1985 Moratorium)--that caught & reported in that fishery to Catch & provide Seed Turtles for Controlled stocking in Maryland --Determined by a staff Knowledgeable in proper habitat & High survival locations , on both shores-
Turtles to be Sexed & provided for stocking in proper amounts for Maxi um Reproduction
Payment & cost control
Based on previous offers by the "Turtle Lady" & others to Buy the harvesters out, it would be a shame if the offer was wasted--
The fund -Buy A Diamondback Turtle-WOULD
Pay for catching of--Not a buy out but a Work for the good cause --Re-stocking ---
Pay for the Location set up & the salary of the staging area employee or employees
Releasing of turtle "Groups in proper locations could be done possibly by Volunteers-
Possibly a non profit could oversee the BADT fund -
The waterman works, the turtles are stocked to provide NEW colonies, where needed,the offered funds are not wasted, & possibly in years to come after recovery , we can trade excess turtle stock with other states for bob whites, phesents Etc. & stock them---
--P.S.--No tax funds used--
--State monies used only for Enforcement, Done anyway --

--If the Reef Fund can work, so can this, Buy a Ton & Buy a Brace of breeding stock turtles---geo.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
capt george I don't see why somthing like that couldn't be made to work. it sounds like a win win for every one. I know of similar plans pertaining to other animals in other states. Most DNR's have a trading program in place and the more of one thing a state has that another wants. Makes for a good working relation between states DNR's. Anther plus for what you are thinking.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Capt G, Why don't you contact the MDWMA and suggest just such a plan to Larry Simns? It sounds like a great idea! I'm sure the turtle lady would love to pay anyone to restock her turtles. However, The turtle lady has also said that nets cause death & destruction for turtles. Can a compromise be reached? Who knows? The offer is out there for MDWMA...

You seem concerned for the waterman. I see the ball in their court right now.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Concern

Capt G, Why don't you contact the MDWMA and suggest just such a plan to Larry Simns? It sounds like a great idea! I'm sure the turtle lady would love to pay anyone to restock her turtles. However, The turtle lady has also said that nets cause death & destruction for turtles. Can a compromise be reached? Who knows? The offer is out there for MDWMA...

You seem concerned for the waterman. I see the ball in their court right now.
---I am cocerned for All user groups here in Maryland , as i've stated before when one bleeds we all bleed ---

---As a young 11 year boy on our 340 acre dairy farm , I was involved with a stocking program for the Commonwealth of Virginia Fish & Game Dept.this was about 1944--45

--It Consisted of 2 programs ---Both Failed , as far as i was concerned---

Stocking Experiment 1---Introducing Mexican Quail into the 43 Covies of Native Va. Bobwhites --I usta guide hunters for a fee & provide my bird dogs if needed --Most brought their own --I knew where every covey was etc. & rotated the hunt pressure Etc.

--Well the Mexican Quail & bobwhites Cross bred , as was PLANNED --

--The Outcome the cross Roosted In trees at night , The covey flush lost all single action as the birds landed in trees ---Bad --Bad--

Stocking experment 2--Missouri Rabbits --Cross with local Va,. Cottontails ---These rabbitts had short ears & were much smaller than local rabbitts----

--They ALSO went to the closest Ground hog hole When jumped & would swim in water --E G --Small streams & creeks ---Well there went my Rabbit hunting -

--Needless to say Va, F&G --Did not persue these ideas ----

---But I see only a WIN_WIN On this Stocking plan---

--By the way ain't seen a bobwhite Quail in Deale Beach Area in 20 yrs & cover is GOOD, Fresh Water is plentiful ( Ponds)--After ya'll solve the turtle stocking --Trade some for Quail , We could use some ---geo.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
All stocking should be done on the western side of the bay. Most of the studies were done there also.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Western --

All stocking should be done on the western side of the bay. Most of the studies were done there also.
---Reds -I agree --Deale Beach road leading to my shack is quite long & rund between 2 bodies of water & lots of Wet lands & fresh water small natural ponds ---

--Terrapins usta be a common sight crossing this roadway in their travels , no more---

---I would think the University Of Maryland would be intrested in my plan, with the turtle mania they produce ---Well to do Alumni, would buy at least 2 or 3 turtles to put on the Western ---

---I'll know its a recovered Species over here when I can't find a good Tomato for dinner

---FEAR THEM Eastern Shore Terripans---WOW-!!!!--Wonder if Virginia Claggett & The Turtle Lady read T F ---Got up too late this AM to make Va.'s Coffee reception this morning --DiD any one go? ---Hammer ?--oh well

--Fritz, Crow bait , give us a site on the Diamondback --I'd like to learn more ---

1 - 6 of 6 Posts