Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Haven't done it myself, but based on what I've read, I would run outside to OI, then go in and run down the Sound to Hatteras. Otherwise it's a long run on the outside around the shoals at the Cape.

Been at the Breakwater Inn at Hatteras and seen big boats come in HI and head north up the sound towards OIFC and PC after fishing the area south of the Cape.

·
Registered
440 Posts
We did it last weekend on a 29 Regulator. Wind shifted a little earlier than forecasted out of the north. Made for a choppy ride from below the point but it was doable. As long as you have some sort of southerly wind you should be fine on the outside. Grab a couple of extra guys and fish for an hour or two on your way down. We did and managed to catch a few tunas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If the weather is great just stay outside..Be sure stay outside of Diamond Shoals. There is a red bouy a few miles inside the diamond tower that is safe to pass. Otherwise if the water is rough it is a very nice trip to into Oregan Inlet and run down the Old house channel thru the Sound to Hatteras. Good luck

Sea Dog

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Smackey,

If go inside run the main channel from the bridge up the Old House channel and take a left heading away from the fishing center(South West around bearing 215ish). When you get to Bouy 24 you are in good water for the entire trip to hatteras.

from Bouy 24 you will head 197 degrees for 10 Miles. There you will see the Target Range. Stay on the east side of these two markers E and S.There are submerged and partially submerge stuff there.

When you pass the E bouy head around 195 ish to the Hatteras Harbor entrance.

35 16.85
075 44.31 are the coordinates for the Hatteras Harbor bouy 42 and 41

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts