Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked a ship out of Little Creek, VA (currently at the Naval Academy) and will hopefully be able to get some time in fishing the Norfolk area before I go on deployment.

I have done a lot of striper jigging from boats and topwater and other light tackle techniques from shore for convict bass up in Annapolis. However, I would like to return to my SC roots of targeting specks, reds, and flounder on regular basis

When are the stripers running in the area?
Is kayak fishing a good idea?

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
We've had a few very poor years for Stripers...last good year was 2012. The Bay season (now closed) had Stripers far up north in the Bay (around Tangiers Island - 50nm north of Little Creek) and only a few on the eastern side of the Bay north of Cape Charles. Very poor showing, again. The Coastal season (now open) hasn't produced any yet. There will be a spring bay trophy season for Stripers and eeling is usually the ticket.

We've got a great fishery for Reds, Flounder, Sheepshead, and Tautog. Speckled Trout are usually pretty good in Lynnhaven.

Kayak fishing has lots of potential in the area. Whether it's the Bay Bridge Tunnel on a calm day or inside Lynnhaven Inlet, it's pretty good. The Elizabeth River is another great kayak fishing area however, over the past two winters we've had severe cold stun events and fish kills. It'll get better right now it's not good though.

Be sure to check out the club website. You've seen the links to the newsletter. It's got lots of great information and fishing tips for our area.

Welcome to the Fleet and Hampton Roads. Look us up when you get in town. Many in the club are looking for people to fish with.

All the best,
Will

1 - 2 of 2 Posts