Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have to return fish of between 37 and 42 inches.Anglers could keep small or large fish
By BILL BURTON, For The Capital
Prospects for catching keeper rockfish in this year's Maryland trophy season brightened considerably this week.

Anglers would be able to keep either a smaller striper for the dinner table or a large trophy fish when the season opens April 21, if a recommendation from three Department of Natural Resources advisory committees is approved.

After nearly two hours of deliberations Monday night, members of the Sportsfishing and Tidal Water Commissions and the Ad Hoc Striped Bass Committee proposed that the DNR let anglers keep one rockfish from 28 inches to 37 inches or one of 42 inches or more. They would have to return fish of between 37 and 42 inches.

If approved by the DNR, the so-called "slot limit" proposal would go to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, a multi-state panel that regulates migratory fish on the Eastern Seaboard.

Some members called the slot limit the lesser of the evils in the penalty payback for Maryland over-catching the state's quota this past spring by nearly 30,000 fish.

The quota was 60,000 migratory fish and the catch was nearly 90,000.

Under ASMFC guidelines, states that exceed their quotas appreciably must reduce the following year's catch to make up for the over-catch.

Things could have been much worse for anglers and those who make their living off trophy season.

Among the options to bring the 2007 catch within the mandated quota was one that would have established a minimum size limit of 39 inches. Since deliberations began a month ago, that was the least acceptable way of paying the penalty for most fishermen.

Charter boat captains argued it would be devastating to their business. Most fishermen, they argued, would not be able to catch a rockfish that big, and few would have a fish they could take home. They said fishermen won't come again if they don't catch fish they can keep.

They also said a minimum length of 39 inches would mean longer fishing days with more stripers thrown back, which would add to risks of mortality from the stress of the fight and handling by anglers.

Capt. Brian Keehn, the new president of the Maryland Charterboat Association said "the plan is the best decision possible in a bad situation," and after reviewing all the data he thinks it will stand scrutiny. Charter boaters, he said, get 35 to 40 percent of their business during trophy season.

There are no guarantees either DNR or ASMFC will approve the proposal.

It is a bit more liberal than the options put on the table, and could put Maryland at risk of again exceeding its quota.

The closest DNR option was one that would have established a keeper slot limit of 28 to 35 inches and any fish of over 42 inches. The new proposal would allow the additional catch-and-keep length by two additional inches - and 35- to 37-inch fish are plentiful during trophy season. Already the projected catch has a razor-thin margin.

The predicted catch under the more strict DNR proposal would be 27,191 migratory fish.

DNR statisticians must run the figures through computers to determine whether the expanded request is likely to keep the catch close to the 30,000 quota. Then the plan needs approval of the ASMFC technical committee.

An over-catch could mean not only another penalty, but also dampen chances for favorable ASMFC action to lift the quota system for Maryland in future years. A proposal to do that last month was defeated by one vote. Maryland is the only state with an appreciable big trophy catch to have a quota.

DNR continues to lobby Delaware and New York representatives in hopes of changing their votes, a long-shot hope that the quota could be lifted this year - and possibly the penalty.

DNR did not offer as options previous suggestions that would have limited catches by putting restrictions on the number of rods to a boat, the use of planer boards while trolling, banning fishing tournaments during May, restricting charter boats to one trip a day, and shortening the season.

There is insufficient evidence as to their impact. However, the department suggested the voluntary release of big fish.

Charlie Ebersberger, a former member of the rockfish committee and proprietor of Anglers Sports Center on Route 50, said if implemented the new plan "will definitely help a lot, we've got both ends of the spectrum, more fishermen will be able to catch a fish they can keep."

"Wonderful, wonderful," said Capt. George Prenant of Deale, a past president of the Maryland Charterboat Association, who added fish mortality attributed to the fight should be lessened because fishermen will be using heavy tackle to catch fish of more than 42 inches and will be able reel their fish in quickly. He said DNR should stress to anglers not to increase risks of added stress by needless measuring of fish that obviously have to go back and then holding them up for photos.

Capt. Ed Darwin, who charters out of Mill Creek in Annapolis, questions whether the plan will keep Maryland within its quota, and said he has reservations about keeping fish larger than 40 inches. "They're the big spawning fish, the fish we count on for the future."

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
George, what's with Burton attributing a Lawrence Welk quote to you?

"Turn off the bubble machine," said the Captain from Deale...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Left off top of article

--I'm sorry I left off the top of article

Anglers could keep small or large fish
By BILL BURTON, For The Capital
Prospects for catching keeper rockfish in this year's Maryland trophy season brightened considerably this week.

Anglers would be able to keep either a smaller striper for the dinner table or a large trophy fish when the season opens April 21, if a recommendation from three Department of Natural Resources advisory committees is approved.

After nearly two hours of deliberations Monday night, members of the Sportsfishing and Tidal Water Commissions and the Ad Hoc Striped Bass Committee proposed that the DNR let anglers keep one rockfish from 28 inches to 37 inches or one of 42 inches or more. They would have to return fish of between 37 and 42 inches.

--I tried to edit it into original post , Failed --Feel free to make the article whole --Thanks --Geo.

----Chum , You should know by now I don't K A ----& as far as the other K A , I've gotten kinda old for that, even tho the urge is there ---geo.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
Well......what's not right with the world this morning. Yet another crappy one liner post from Crumbucket. But now that I got my obligatory cheap shot out of the way, Captain Ed Darwin is the highly respected dean of charter captains in the Bay Bridge sector of the Bay. And we all know our esteemed brother captgeorge. What captgeorge said is true for trollers, but; what CaptDarwin said has an ominous ring to it. When captgeorge and CaptDarwin speak, I listen and I am concerned.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
Well......what's not right with the world this morning. Yet another crappy one liner post from Crumbucket. But now that I got my obligatory cheap shot out of the way, Captain Ed Darwin is the highly respected dean of charter captains in the Bay Bridge sector of the Bay. And we all know our esteemed brother captgeorge. What captgeorge said is true for trollers, but; what CaptDarwin said has an ominous ring to it. When captgeorge and CaptDarwin speak, I listen and I am concerned.
"Ugh, permission slip, Grundens, (snort, sob, gack), honey, please," said the balding chap with the Marty Feldman eyes from Cape St. Claire

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I don't believe the notion payback for overages, from the 2007 season, as mentioned in the article is accurete. As I recall it was negotiated that this year's quota would be called a "target" and no payback would due for missing the mark.

Someone else who was At the ASMFC meeting can hopefully clarify.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I never thought of George as a Lawrence Welk type of guy. More of a Phil Silvers dude.

Greybeard as Marty Feldmen, nice, never made the connection but now I can see it:

"The name's Eye-gor, not E-gor."

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try to Answer

I don't believe the notion payback for overages, from the 2007 season, as mentioned in the article is accurete. As I recall it was negotiated that this year's quota would be called a "target" and no payback would due for missing the mark.

Someone else who was At the ASMFC meeting can hopefully clarify.
---Yes I was There TOO ---The target word is the key for 2007 ----REASON ?

---THe ASMFC Coastal Commisioners Want to trottle Maryland , Because there is a Stock Assement due this Mid Summer ---

--This BUG A BOO probably will Change the entire playing field from Maine to the Carolinas , Other states may find themselves feeling like Maryland in Janurary ---

---A Good thing , who knows , time will tell ---Enjoy what we got in 2007 --& watch the Summer Games --OLAY !!--geo.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picture him

I never thought of George as a Lawrence Welk type of guy. More of a Phil Silvers dude.

Greybeard as Marty Feldmen, nice, never made the connection but now I can see it:

"The name's Eye-gor, not E-gor."
---Phil Silvers No ---Capt. Quint Yes---My kinda man , Full Throttle & Diesel smoke , a man with a lifelong love of the sea---geo.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Mercury

Why keep a 42" fish other than for a photo ?

Has anybody ever thought to consider the mercury levels in a 42" fish ? And did you ever consider that MD has one of the highest cancer rates in the country ?

But go ahead and eat 'em, with the baby boomers all looking to hit the Social Security system at the same time, early deaths will benefit the program, and I plan to fish into my 90's, releasing the big ones !

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
You're just like a little breath of sunshine in the morning, Dennis, you know that?

I'm blowing smoke rings in your general direction...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S S benifits

Why keep a 42" fish other than for a photo ?

Has anybody ever thought to consider the mercury levels in a 42" fish ? And did you ever consider that MD has one of the highest cancer rates in the country ?

But go ahead and eat 'em, with the baby boomers all looking to hit the Social Security system at the same time, early deaths will benefit the program, and I plan to fish into my 90's, releasing the big ones !
----Mercury is that what we played with in school , rolled between our fingers & kept in our pocket till next recess, or if bad played with at our desks --geo.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Fishamajig is one of those guys, George, you know the type...Has the euro-man purse, requests the no smoking section, asks for margarine, whole milk would kill him...That kinda guy, ya know?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts