Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16th Annual Chesapeake Bay Fall Tournament

Monday, November17, 2008

(PASADENA, MD) - On November 15th and 16th the Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association (MSSA) held their 16th Annual Chesapeake Bay Fall Tournament. With 129 boats competing and over $50,000 in prize money this turned out to be one of the biggest and best fall tournaments in MSSA history.

Mr. Steve Scrivener of Frederick, MD took top honors with his 52.6 pound striper worth $28,875. Scrivener entered all of the skill levels which earned him $21,385 of his total winnings. Mr. Scrivener said he was fishing near the Gooses (buoy 78) on Sunday when the monster slammed his tandem rig.

Scrivener beat out Lee Tippett of Nanjemoy, MD who brought in a 46.3 pound rockfish to Calvert Marina on Saturday. Tippett said his 25 foot MayCraft handled nicely and caught the big boy on a white tandem rig down at Point Lookout. Tippett ended up winning second place in the main tournament and second place in all of the skill levels bringing his total to $11,151.

T.J. Pekin rolled into Solomons on Sunday with a 41.95 pound striper capturing third place in the main tournament and third place in all of the skill levels. All together Pekin took home $7,434. Pekin had entered all of the skill levels which turned out to be the right move.

The fall tournament marks the end of the 2008 MSSA Tournament Series. This year turned out to be one of the most successful striper seasons in recent history as well as some of the biggest payouts in MSSA history. We would like to thank all of our members and participants who competed in any of the four tournaments throughout the year and look forward to the 2009 season.

For further information regarding tournament results or Captain of the Year standings please visit our website MSSA - Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association or call the main MSSA office at 410-255-5535.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
WOW.. Big fish! Congrats to the winners! I must say that I am glad I didnt fish it. I was watching the trees blowing hard thinking about those who did. A friend told me it was a lot of work to stay out there. Again congrats to the winners

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think thats 2 out of 3 years that the winning fish came from the #78 area. Fairly far north relative to PLO, #72, Buzz's, and the traditional hot spots. Congrats to the winners, I wasn't brave enough to enter once I saw the weather report. Thanks for getting the results out quickly Frank!

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was the weighmaster at Sandy Point and was very happy I wasn't fishing. The boats really got beat up. I actually had to weigh down the scale and it's table to avoid it from blowing across the parking lot. Lets hope for better weather in 2009.

·
Registered
955 Posts
How many boats were entered?
"16th Annual Chesapeake Bay Fall Tournament

Monday, November17, 2008

(PASADENA, MD) - On November 15th and 16th the Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association (MSSA) held their 16th Annual Chesapeake Bay Fall Tournament. With 129 boats competing and over $50,000 in prize money this turned out to be one of the biggest and best fall tournaments in MSSA history...."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts