Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the text of MSSA's Press Release concerning the Feb. 12 meeting. It lists Maryland's proposal only which must be approved but eh ASMFC. It will allow us to keep some smaller 28"- 37" fish and one big trophy. The feds are actually most concerned about the 36" and above fish only-not the smaller ones. Hope it all goes good and it gets approved by the ASMFC.

*****************PRESS RELEASE********************

On Monday, February 12th the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) called a meeting among its advisory panels. Representatives from the Sport Fish Advisory Commission, Tidal Fish Advisory Commission, and the Striped Bass Ad Hoc Committee were in attendance.

The meeting was devoted to Maryland’s striped bass spring fishery. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) voted on a 30,000 fish target for Maryland’s spring fishery. The Department had to make adjustments in order for us to comply with the ASMFC target. After crunching the number, the Department proposed several options for the 2007 spring fishery. First, to comply with our target the first option would be a minimum size limit of 39 inches. Needless to say, no one was in favor of this option. There was a general consensus on a slot limit for this year’s fishery. This slot limit proposed a size limit of a minimum size of 28 inches to a max of 37 inches. It also allowed a possession limit of any fish over 43 or maybe 42 inches.

The Department would have to do some finagling to arrive at the upper possession limit of 42 inches in order to make sure that we comply with our target. All of these options will depend upon approval from the ASMFC Technical Committee. Our faith and fishery are in their hands.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks Frank
Never thought they would go with such a big jump for the slot
11"?? Thought maybe a 4-6" min to max

It's still frozen;)

·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That could still happen if they don't accept this proposal. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
So now we are going to targeting even bigger fish??????....sorry guys this one just does not go over well with me.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Shouldn't be much of a challenge to bust that cap based on this slot unless 18-27" fish are banned for the year.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
More Liberal

I have to admit the slot limit mentioned is alot more liberal than I thought it would be and really seems very liberal to me. If this is approved I think we'll exceed the 30,000 fish target quickly then we'll be in sh!t with ASMFC again. I'm sure the charter guys are jumping up and down and for them this has to be great news. I'm a little confused on the big fish part though, are they talking about 1 big fish over 42"-43" per boat, per fisherman ??????

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
So the only fish that we can't keep are those under 28" (like it used to be) and fish between 37" and 43". :confused:

The group must think there are a heck of a lot of fish in that 6" size range if they are counting on that restriction bringing the catch rate down. Maybe they are right - I don't have the scientific data to tell either way.

·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great point Ralph. I'm sure the DNR just didn't pull these size numbers out of the air( like the 30,000 cap was years ago). Howard King and the others at the DNR should be commended for their hard work on this issue. If the ASMFC adopts this proposal I'm sure Howard and the DNR officials feel it will satisfy the cap. They would have never subimtted it if they didn't feel it would satisfy the cap.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that slot would "protect" the 1996 year class fish--I think that was the big year class we have been nailing the last couple of years--lots of 36's then lots of 38's last year now this year they should be the 39-40" fish--that is the only thing that I can think of that makes sense for limitign catch based on that slot

Hans

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
side remarks

---Unless you were involved , or attended almost daily meetings OR lisened to the chart & graph presentation prepared By the department its hard to comprehend ---

--As I posted before it is still being TWEEKED--
--We are blessed & I mean blessed, in my years around the Playground, to have in my estimation a Diamond crew at the Helm ---Also teriffic input from the Charter , rec. & Com. commisioners---Two Combined meetings & Two unanamious Votes ---A First --

---We have charts & graphs avaiable for EVERY possible Sernario, prepared by a Lady college Professor---Ele, Please post her name --I'm having power interuptins & can't make a search---

-----Believe me , It is a well thought out plan, not only for Accesability , but also for protection of the avaiable Target ASMFC figures they require---

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Maryland does it again

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that slot would "protect" the 1996 year class fish--I think that was the big year class we have been nailing the last couple of years--lots of 36's then lots of 38's last year now this year they should be the 39-40" fish--that is the only thing that I can think of that makes sense for limitign catch based on that slot

Hans
---You are correct ---A strong Consideration for continued Conversation by the Provider State-----

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
maryland gets raped while north carolina and virginia are still out there slaugthering the big fish all winter probably have taken 3 times over what we are going to get this year, majarity of those fish come up the bay to spawn so we get cut for others to keep killing.
why don't they put a time limit on the fishing hours for us say sunrise to 2:00 pm or even 3:00pm limit charter boats to one trip a day and raise the min. size.

sorry just had to vent better now

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would like to attend a meeting. How do you find out when they are held?

Thanks.
Fin
The best way to find out is by keeping an eye on this board. DNR usually publishes the dates and times of the meetings on their web site, but that has proven to not be so reliable sometimes. Still, folks on this board know when they are. SFAC meetings are almost always held on Monday evenings.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
No reason to be sorry

maryland gets raped while north carolina and virginia are still out there slaugthering the big fish all winter probably have taken 3 times over what we are going to get this year, majarity of those fish come up the bay to spawn so we get cut for others to keep killing.
why don't they put a time limit on the fishing hours for us say sunrise to 2:00 pm or even 3:00pm limit charter boats to one trip a day and raise the min. size.

sorry just had to vent better now
----We Took into consideration All anglers , Even the Guy on the Community Pier, the surf caster , that can only fish at hi tide --Etc. --A local resident of 28" might be around , to make a local Maryland Kid happy --

--Back to yesteryear again --when I was a md. REP. to the ASMFC Bluefish board , the reaso md. kept the size to 8" was for the kids fishing from shore ---Catching Snappers was a Action day for the Shore Bound ---Geo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts