Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the exact same post I put on the Chespaekake Bay Board tonight.

MSSA Press Release about Feb. 12 Striped Bass Meeting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the text of MSSA's Press Release concerning the Feb. 12 meeting. It lists Maryland's proposal only which must be approved but eh ASMFC. It will allow us to keep some smaller 28"- 37" fish and one big trophy. The feds are actually most concerned about the 36" and above fish only-not the smaller ones. Hope it all goes good and it gets approved by the ASMFC.

*****************PRESS RELEASE********************

On Monday, February 12th the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) called a meeting among its advisory panels. Representatives from the Sport Fish Advisory Commission, Tidal Fish Advisory Commission, and the Striped Bass Ad Hoc Committee were in attendance.

The meeting was devoted to Maryland’s striped bass spring fishery. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) voted on a 30,000 fish target for Maryland’s spring fishery. The Department had to make adjustments in order for us to comply with the ASMFC target. After crunching the number, the Department proposed several options for the 2007 spring fishery. First, to comply with our target the first option would be a minimum size limit of 39 inches. Needless to say, no one was in favor of this option. There was a general consensus on a slot limit for this year’s fishery. This slot limit proposed a size limit of a minimum size of 28 inches to a max of 37 inches. It also allowed a possession limit of any fish over 43 or maybe 42 inches.

The Department would have to do some finagling to arrive at the upper possession limit of 42 inches in order to make sure that we comply with our target. All of these options will depend upon approval from the ASMFC Technical Committee. Our faith and fishery are in their hands.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crow Bait,- Does your chapter president forward this to you guys in Southern MD. I only put them on TF after I get home form work. I also send it our to all my chapter members on our e-mail list. Maybe you might suggest this to Tom for the non-TF ( god forbid) fellow chapter members. I'd hope all the chapter presidents do the same.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I do all the emailing for the SOMD chapter and so far I have not been forwarding pres releases. It's a great Idea, just one I haven't embraced yet because I promised to keep emails to a minimum (1-2/month).

I'll take a poll at our meeting tonight to see if our members would like this kind of info delivered to their inbox.

I can tell you that right now, Yahoo is killing me with a rev limiter of 100 addresses per send... I have to send 4 messages, with an hour between sends... it takes me 4 hours to send 1 message to every member, even more if I had an email address for every member.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey Crow Bait, if I can register my absentee vote: I wouldn’t mind getting MSSA press releases in my email. If it is redundant, or otherwise something that I don’t need, I can just delete it. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if you hear from other people saying that they don’t welcome the additional email.

I’ll be skipping the meeting tonight. My son lives with me now and we will be doing math homework. I hate math.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Crow Bait - I got similar problem with MSN. I think all the e-mails services limit it to avoid spammers. I can send only 50 at a time but no more that 500 in a 24 hour period. My only saving grace is I don't have to wait an hour between them. A commercial account might help but I understand they are big bucks

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Now That I Think About This...

I've been thinking about this topic over the last couple days and I realized that fowarding press releases is a service the state level of our organization handle. It seems more appropriate to me.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The most important thing is that the information gets to the members ASAP. Via chapter e-mails, MSSA e-mails, TF, carrier pigeon or whatever as long as the members get the word then that's all that counts. Those are my thoughts. You can complain about the system or maybe volunteer your time to explore a better e-mail system for the MSSA.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
The most important thing is that the information gets to the members ASAP. Via chapter e-mails, MSSA e-mails, TF, carrier pigeon or whatever as long as the members get the word then that's all that counts. Those are my thoughts. You can complain about the system or maybe volunteer your time to explore a better e-mail system for the MSSA.
Don't hate me because I have good ideas~!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts