Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my book and saw that they changed from length to weight. This year the winner will be the heaviest rockfish. Wonder why they changed?

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Not sure-I'm chapter 10's tournament rep. and we never voted on it.I worry that the scales might get damaged in the 3 days of use.Then what ? Plus the fish should be checked for "extra" weight.The length was simple and easy.Tell your chapter president your thoughts on this. Skip

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skip I was just talking to a buddy and I said the same thing. They are going to have to gut every fish???

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I hope all the scales at all locations are calibrated the same.... especially if ozs determine the winner.

While I have never fished the tournament (I may this year), I always thought length was the best way to run that tournament since it has so many check-in locations. You dont have to count on a bunch of scales being calibrated perfectly.

Also. While weight is probably better to determine the "biggest fish" it may encourage keeping a fish that is filled with roe. If you have a lean 44" fish and you catch a pregnant 42", with the weight being the determining factor you know the 42 is going in the box...

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
That I don't know.Some tournaments use a metal detector wand but then some cheaters have stuffed fish with ice to avoid that.We'll be at the MSSA convention this weekend-I'll try to get better info.The weight may tie into the other tournament (s) on the same weekend.I know the Rod/Reel dock is by weight.I just see a scale getting knocked out of calibration by a 30-40 lb fish dropped too hard.Also is the fact that for 2 nights the scales need to be locked up/guarded.I think this was an executive decision. Skip

·
Banned
859 Posts
I just got my book and saw that they changed from length to weight. This year the winner will be the heaviest rockfish. Wonder why they changed?
to incentivise the keeping of prespawn fish. this way, you can catch and release 50 fish in a day, with a mortality rate exceeding 50% but the egg laden, sea cow definately gets whats coming to it.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Perhaps they're going to hire one of those bonded inventory agencies with certified scales. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
The scales were bought by MSSA headquarters.I'm guessing it will be "voluteers" that do the weigh in.A length tournament has advantages-no doubt. Skip

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Is it possible that they are doing this due to the uncertainty of the Spring Season Regulations. Since the Tournament is being held during the Spring Trophy Season (May 4-6), and just theoretically if we ended up with a slot limit with say a 40" maximum on keepers, you could end up in a tie (but still break it by first fish checked in.) Weight would help eliminate a tie breaker.

Just a thought.

Chris

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
The first place fish is typically head and shoulders above the second place fish so I doubt it's going to come down to ounces. I guess you could stuff 16 oz sinkers down the gut but it wouldn’t be hard to tell with a simple feel of the gut. A metal detector would also work

As far as weight vs. length, they both have their advantage and disadvantage. Length makes it pretty easy to determine whether or not your fish is close to the lead and should be weighed. On the other hand it’s very easy to massage a fish to get an extra inches or two (don’t ask;) ) if you know how. What about a fish with a deformed tail? Too many variables

On the other hand if you have 2 fish of equal length of which one is obviously a bigger fish, (no roe, all shoulders). What if you caught a 50# fish with a healthy set of shoulders and it measured short to say a #45 fish? Who caught the bigger fish?

Don't care either way but weighing rewards those with the "biggest" fish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Weight is a more absolute way to handle the tournament. Assuming the scales are all calibrated the same you dont have to worry about people measuring fish differently.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Again tournaments are about economics. They bring in a TON of money for the local economies and great publicity for sponsors, DNR, and all associated. They can also be a lot of fun. Competing makes many things more interesting. Weight is definately the right way to go. Measuring length is too variable. As long as the anglers are abiding by the DNR regs. then what's the problem. There are a few people who throw back large fish especially females but most of the anglers in these tournaments would keep them anyway eggs or not. For many it is the only time they go all year. Remember these anglers also pay for licenses that go for conservation. These events bring notoriety to the sport and attention. This attention could lead to more pull from legistature and hence more funding for projects that help the bay. Many different views but I don't think tourn'ys are going anywhere and I hope to enjoy fishing tourny or not.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I like length better. what if a shorter fish has four 12" menhaden in its stomach??? which also makes me wonder, couldn,t someone shove some big menhaden down the fishes throat and get away with it? Its normal to find large menhaden inside of them in the spring

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Captbucster go hug a tree... I am so sick of the people that insist on pushing their opinions on people. Man.. if people want to fish tournaments great if they don't okay. If you like to flyfish instead of troll excellant. If you would rather catch and release or eat everything you catch guess what.... You live in America it is your right to do so. Why don't you go to the CBBT or Oregon inlet and chain yourself to the dock screaming stop the slaughter...Yep over 400 boats fish that tourney and good for me that about only 300 know what the hell they are doing. However, the comradery the stories the money spent at local stores is all good stuff.

·
Banned
859 Posts
Captbucster go hug a tree... I am so sick of the people that insist on pushing their opinions on people. Man.. if people want to fish tournaments great if they don't okay. If you like to flyfish instead of troll excellant. If you would rather catch and release or eat everything you catch guess what.... You live in America it is your right to do so. Why don't you go to the CBBT or Oregon inlet and chain yourself to the dock screaming stop the slaughter...Yep over 400 boats fish that tourney and good for me that about only 300 know what the hell they are doing. However, the comradery the stories the money spent at local stores is all good stuff.
listen twinkle toes, I am not pushing my opinion on anyone. its a public forum and I am voicing my opinion, not pushing it. the only thing tourneys are good for are the people who organize them $$$$$ and the few who win $$$. I myself troll, and the fatal flaw I see in the tourney is that on a normal day one might see a few boats to at best 100 out there in any given area. when MSSA comes to town, I look up the bay and see basically a whiteout of boats trolling off cedar point. as noted by a local charter captain who participates in it, last year he caught and release over 100 fish, keeping the slots open for the big fish, he said after the tourney, the bite never came back like it was before the tourney. now he is probably an outlyer because he is an excellent fisherman, but still, no one can ignore the damage the MSSA tourney does to the bite due to the excessive fishing pressure for those several days- prefishing included. boat numbers alone dont simply make the equation. the thing is that instead of going out and catching your fish and going home like on a normal day, the fact that you layed so much money on the line compells you to cull through otherwise nice keepable fish. some live, some die and some move on.

I am not against trolling and releasing or trolling and eating, what i am against is the top tier making $150K off a regulated resource. The MSSA tourney brings a lot of people who otherwise wouldnt come to town- they fug up the fishing pattern and leave -leaving the rest of us to deal with the aftermath. part of the consequences are such that now we have this years quota reduced by half.

ps income brought in to local business is a piss poor rational for quantifying the benefits of the toruneys.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts