Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:rolleyes: Fished both days of the tournament....
Where: Potomac River, around St. Georges Island
What: 21 lines on a 28' ProKat, mostly tandems and large single baits, only six umbrellas in the spread on boat and dummy lines
Who: Buck Bomb Fishing team (new lettering on the boat looks awesome!!!, although it goes back in the shop for some decal malfunctions)
Saturday:
Three quality fish by 8:30....roof rods and planers 10-15' deep, white and green
Picked up lines and made the run around Point Lookout up to Patuxent at 9:30 and waited to check in three fish 37.5 lbs, 32 lbs, and 26 lbs Got bumped down to second at the end of the day when Lee Tippett brought in a beautiful fish after making a run up the bay that had to be hell (he was fishin down near/in the river also....tall seas close together was tough at best in a 20 something foot Maycraft (Charlie will love to hear this one)
Sunday: Fished the same area with the same results only we stuck around longer and got more of them. Was looking for that fish to try to beat Lees' 46.3 lber....caught a lot of fish with the largest being 40 lbs but nothing to beat 46.3 ......heard of a big fish being checked (52.6 lb) and knew we had at least dropped to third (we got third last year also). Caught everything up high again today. Nothing on the boat rods. Water depth varied from 50' to 85' when the fish were hittin. Water condition was horrific at best. Worst I've been in in the river or bay. Heard of a lot of teams pullin lines early and goin in because you couldn't fish the waves. A lot of us dummies stuck it out. Trailered the boat to Solomons to see if our fish held up and found out a 41.95 pounder had been checked in..:censored::censored::censored:...maybe dropped us out of the money if everone above us was in the Calcuttas...hope they weren't...sure could use the gas money:D

Gotta hand it to the guys that fished this weekend. Both days were trying at best and required a lot of dumb luck, skill, and guts to tough it out and land fish. Everybody that fished it deserves a pat on the back, or a straight jacket:eek2::D:D Congrats to the winners!!! Tom

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
You guys deserve major man points for fishing in that slop :clapping2::clapping2::clapping2:.

Hopefully next year there will be a weigh station at Point Look Out.Running all the way to Solomons is crazy - then having to run back :eek2:.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
MAYCRAFT REPRESENT Ol Lee can catch em with the best of em...even better than most...maybe thats why they call him Mr Potomac:D:D of course it could of been the MAYCRAFT:yes::thumbup: what do ya think Mr Faithful:D:D oh thats right you got a Judd:D:D

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys deserve major man points for fishing in that slop :clapping2::clapping2::clapping2:.

Hopefully next year there will be a weigh station at Point Look Out.Running all the way to Solomons is crazy - then having to run back :eek2:.
Skip, Rich N. said they were planning on it...whether or not it materializes is yet to be seen. They need more volunteers so they don't shorthand the other weigh stations. Tom

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ida,

I just hope Lee remembers who taught him how to troll back in the day. I take full credit:):):):):):) Lee just had to multiply everything I taught him by 10............lol!!!!!

He's gonna love that comment!!!!!!!!!!

I just wish I could get my wife to fish with me. That women went out with him on the tourny. That's a real women. As Tippett would say..........That's GREEEEAAASYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank
"Skirtchaser"

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
MAYCRAFT REPRESENT Ol Lee can catch em with the best of em...even better than most...maybe thats why they call him Mr Potomac:D:D of course it could of been the MAYCRAFT:yes::thumbup: what do ya think Mr Faithful:D:D oh thats right you got a Judd:D:D
Always wanted a Judd - I should have named the boat Ashley I guess :D:D

Glad to hear you Maycraft owners are still tough. I was home all weekend rigging up my gear for the fall season looking at the boat in driveway :yes:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
dad always tells me "If you cant be smart ...be tough" tough as a Maycraft:Dim sure all the Grady owners were hanging out at dunkin donuts:poke1::D

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im sure all the Grady owners were hanging out at dunkin donuts:poke1::D
Now Charlie, play nice.....:D

Frank, I think Chrissy was the only woman I saw on a boat at the check-in. I'm sure there were some women fishin out there, but she definitely hangs tough and makes that boat look SOOO much better!!:D Hell, I heard she's the one that catches all the fish, or at least thats the rumor we can start :D:D:D Nice people, Lee and Chrissy both, and deserve anything they win from this weekend.

One thing I forgot in my report was that there was NO SEA LICE on any of the fish we caught. I repeat, there was not one sea lice in the boat.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I can't belive anyone fished this weekend. It had to be super sloopy,not to mention dangerous. I have second thoughts about going out in 10-15mph winds, I heard of gust this weekend of 35-40mph. I'm glad we have not heard of anyone getting hurt! Hats off to you who braved it!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well we did have donuts on our Grady but we were definitely out there both days. I attribute our loss to the boat entirely. We had the heater on too high and I couldn't get the boys out of the recliners fast enough to help me when there was a fish on. Only saw a hand full of rec boats out there the whole tournament, two were Gradys. Guess the Parker owners just flew kites.

Hats off to all who toughed it out, it was sporty for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rough Seas!!!!!! It took us 2 hours to get to our fishing spot down South. Took longer to get back to the Severn from the local weigh station at Sandy Point!!! The Bostom Whaler 285 Conquest is a real dream!
We had two fish on in the first 10 minutes of fishing. The 45" Rock was a great surprize and made the trip all worth while.
Every bone in my body aches from being pouned by those 8 footers. The recliner felt great on Sunday!

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
That picture does show how rough it was but you'd be in trouble even in a 28'er if you have saw 8'ers on the bay. A wave is not measured from crest to trough, so a 4' wave, which we did have, is in fact 8' tall.

·
Registered
692 Posts
We Run my friend Ron's boat from Middle River to solomons on friday. Was a nice ride down. Saturday had the worst conditions I have ever fished.and sunday was worse. I did see some of the biggest fish I have ever seen in one place:clap: But none cought by us. We could not fish with the planers flipping over and cutting though the spread:eek: TYPICAL TOURNAMENT CONDITIONS!!!! SUCKY We had to wait till this morning to get home. Sure wish tourn was today sure was nice this morning. Hope everyone surviived cuz Know I am a hurtin pup........................

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
That picture does show how rough it was but you'd be in trouble even in a 28'er if you have saw 8'ers on the bay. A wave is not measured from crest to trough, so a 4' wave, which we did have, is in fact 8' tall.
How does a 4' wave get to be a 8'er, how is it measured?

Just wondering

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just looked up wave height for my own knowledge. According to the "navigation god" Nathaniel Bowditch the vertical distance between trough and crest is called wave height.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like top three were all in the calcuttas...we didn't win nuttin!!!!!:52::52::52: I think I'm gonna need a hug.....:hugeachother:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You should be darn proud of yourself and team, toughed it out through some terrible weather and were right in it. It sucks being that close but it will keep you coming back for more.

Looks like top three were all in the calcuttas...we didn't win nuttin!!!!!:52::52::52: I think I'm gonna need a hug.....:hugeachother:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts