Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to catch your own mud minnows, what bait would you use. I have seen where crab and dog/cat food works the best. I can buy them in South Carolina for around 5$ per dozen, not for a pint like in Virginia. Any help greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I like a crushed crab, but have used bread and old fish parts etc. with equal success...check trap after about 30 minutes and should have enough for a days trip...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Need lots of Minnows in a hurry!

View this thread "Need lots of Minnows in a hurry!" on 09-28-2006 by me Gaffman2!
I use hamburger rolled up in the size of a baseball.;-)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Crab is the best thing that I have used and I have tried almost everything exept the hamburger. I get dead crabs for free from a local crab place. They cant sell the dead crabs and they are thankfull when I take them off of there hands. I had to ask around a bit before I found them and I still give them a few bucks because they give me all that I want and I am gratefull.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I use cheap dry dog food. Seems to have enough "stuff" in it that it acts like a chum. I put two pots out at a time and have more than enough bait within about 15 minutes or so.

I would imagine that fresh crab would work real well, but I don't have a source for dead ones and the dog food is cheaper. :yes:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sandtiger, is there a speciffic brand that you use. I have tried dog food but it never works. Maybe we have snooty mud minnows in Smithfeild that only want crab and chicken skin.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
Stale Bread...

I use any old stale bread or crackers that I've got lying around. I used crab a couple of times but I ended up with some eels in the trap. That wasn't really a bad thing though. :))

A little trick that someone taught me seems to really work... Whatever bait you're using in the minnow trap put it in really SHALLOW WATER. Make sure that the top of the trap is at the top of the water. If it's submerged then the minnows will feed off the top because the bait will float. If the top of the trap breaks the surface then they can't feed on the top of the trap and will have to go inside to eat.

It worked for me...

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Second the IVORY......but I also have used soft cat food any fish flavor.....

·
Registered
672 Posts
I used crushed crab for 2 reasons--one it fills the pot quick with bull minnows, and two, it attracts eels (double your pleasure when cobia season starts:clapping2: ).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts