Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a reasonable black powder gun 50. caliber and was looking for some ideas on what to buy and what not. Iam new to this type of hunting but would like to learn more, Any suggestions or experiences would be great!
Thanks

· Registered
102 Posts
I have used a CVA Hunterbolt for the last 5 years. Works great for me and they now offer it with two barrels (45 and 50 cal). I bought one for my hunting buddy for christmas. It was $142 delivered from Cabelas. Hope this helps.

P.S. Muzzleloading is good stuff.

· Registered
558 Posts
Speck

I have been hunting black powder for years. Thompson Center 50cal hawken, flint lock and the Rem 700ml. I hunt with a scoped Rem 700 now with no problems. 4 years. A friend just bought the T/C Omega and it is awsome. Primer pops in and out, it is light weight and shoots great. No fuss with bolt or disc. I would opt for one of those models if I were in the market. One gun for one season. No need for multable barrels. A few extra bucks will be well worth it. Let us know what you decide.

· Registered
140 Posts
I have a Traditions evolution .54 and CVA .50. Love'm both and dead on at 100y. Their are alot of good quality ML's on the market under $250. It all depends on what ya want. Inline, sidelock, underhammer, flintlock. Old school or state of the art. The choices are almost endless. What do you plan to hunt. If deer only then a .45 will work. My buddy has killed alot of deer with his .45 underhammer with 75g of powder and patch'n ball.

· Registered
4,075 Posts
I saw an interesting article about the new savage that shows 100yd groups anywhere from about 1 1/2" to 5" depending on the load and bullet. I will find it and print the ballistics summary for you.

Buy a Knight or a Thompson.

There have been some issues recently posted concerning the Remington ML.

I have a Knight that is 10 years old, it's one of the originals in their inline line and it will drive nails with a 245 gr Hornady sbaot and 100 gr. load. I will never switch form Knight.

A frined of mine was just at BPS shoppining for a new one and the guys there told them that Knight and T/C wil authorize BPS to swap out guns rather than companies like CVA who require you to send them back to the factory. Says alot. Don't know about Remington or Savage.

· Registered
99 Posts
Speck, I bought my son a USA Knight for his birthday 150.oo w/3x9 scope [email protected] Dance's Sporting Goods in Colonial Heights. I've had one of my own for 8yrs and killed plenty. You can spend more but you don't have to.

Once you buy the gun there is a ton of stuff that you will need; like, triple7 powder, bullets, ball starter, capper,patches, bore cleaner, Range rod, cleaning kit, a bag to keep it all in, etc. You can blow 100 on this stuff alone.

Basically all the guns on the market will kill a deer, you just have to find one that suits you and then plan to shoot it plenty. Thats not that hard because they are fun.

Good Luck,
Bill

· Registered
813 Posts
If you or any one else for that matter, is interrested in a traditional style muzzyloader I have the following.
-
Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter caplock .50 cal 1/66" twist for patched round ball or ballet style bullets. (new in box & papers)
=
Will include all new accessories you need to get started shooting & cleaning no need to get anything else!
+
Send bmail..... If your after the lastest in muzzy's hard to beat Thompson Center - Knight. Whatever you decide alot of fun shooting and learning ahead.

· Registered
84 Posts
Good research site, great bullets and ignition systems!

http://www.prbullet.com/

I shoot the SS Omega 50 cal.w/leupold vxII 3X9......She's a real tack driver..Under the right conditions 200yds would not be out of the question.

If you can afford the premium then opt for the Encore....Lots of options with that reciever.

· Banned
354 Posts
I have a Thompson Firehawk. Its probably 10 years old. Its awesome. It comes up nice, shoots great groups, and is just a well made gun. I don't know if they make the Firehawk any longer, but I'm sure that they make something at least as good.

Jimmy

· Registered
373 Posts
[Q]finfinder originally wrote:

I shoot the SS Omega 50 cal.w/leupold vxII 3X9......She's a real tack driver..Under the right conditions 200yds would not be out of the question.

If you can afford the premium then opt for the Encore....Lots of options with that reciever.
[/Q]

I have the same set-up and have killed deer out past 125 yards on a few occasions... I use two 50 gr. 777 pellets and a 240 gr. TC Shockwave bullet. Nothing but praise for the gun.

Pete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.