Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I purchaced a thomson flintlock 45 cal. short barrel, for PA. I was wondering if this gun could shoot the new sabots with the sleeves already attached to the sabot. Basically, can I ditch the pumpkin ball cotton patch and bore butter, for these types of ammo. Just trying to bring this gun up to speed. Premeasured pellets and these sabots would be a great start. Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Your gun more than likely has too slow of a twist to shoot sabots effectively. A better choice might be a .45 conical of 220gr or heavier. Experimenting will help you find the right combo. Check this website out for some really cool stuff

www.prbullet.com

Good luck

·
Registered
366 Posts
Another choice would be to pick up an extra barrel for the gun which can be done for around $100.00. However, with the price of a decent inline being pretty cheap (look at the NEF at Walmart) it may be better to buy a new gun.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I certainly appreciate the purchase of a new gun or barrel, however, I am more interested in keeping the old flintlock, and making her perform a little better.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Flint locks and premeasured pellets sometimes dont work well together, try it at the range and get a feel for it, your gun may perform well with them.... if not just add a touch of FFF before the pellets..... and make sure the pellets are inserted with the proper end in first....... Try the buffalo bullets in your gun, they work really well with the slower twist barrels and are deadly on deer and larger game.... Buffalo Bullets Conical Lead Bullets

1 - 6 of 6 Posts