Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took a break from working on the TidalFish.com upgrade (yes I know IE 6 and 7 are still now working quite right, but have IE 8 and Firefox working fine, we'll get the other IE versions fixed) and went back and picked some photos from my 2009 fishing. It's way too cold here in Maryland so I figured it would bring back some warm, in most cases, memories. From looking back I seemed to write more on TidalFish.com about conservation in 2009 and apparently not enough fishing reports from going through all the photos I have and fishing I did.

2009 brought me to some interesting places, I started out in Jan and part of Feb in Jackson Hole, WY, if you can imagine that, caught some fish, sorry, no pics, too cold for a camera, but I did catch a fox hunting on camera which is in the photos. I then made my way to South America where we headed to northern Argentina to the Ibera March to fish for Golden Dorado and we managed a few piranha, from there we went to west to Yahape and fished the Rio Parana where we chased Golden Dorado, Pira Pita, and Pacu. From there we went south in search of what as far as I know is the last Atlantic run of Steelhead. We looked for them in the Rio Santa Cruz and hooked with a friend who is a fisheries biologist and spend a day with him and his students who are running several studies to understand the steelhead's patterns. We stated at Monte Leon which is an amazing place and visited the park where we found all sorts of wildlife. I returned home in the middle of March and fished my local waters in and around Easton, MD before heading back out to Jackson Hole, WY to work on an aerial photography project we are working on in Idaho on the Henry's Fork section of the Snake River in conjunction with the Henry's Fork Foundation and several other agencies. Over the course of the year, three manned aircraft flights and many unmanned aircraft flight we logged over 9,000 photos of the 72 mile stretch of the Henry's Fork. If you are interested in seeing a photo library and learning more about that project you can check it out here. I made it to Cape Cod to chase stripers and blues with friends Wild Bill, Giant Tuna and Big Bass Bob where Wild Bill gave me a lesson in the art of fishing the rips, boat positioning as well as lure selection as the tide changes, by far a huge learning experience and he put a butt whopping on me...I'll be ready for 2010:D. I made to to Alaska for two weeks of chasing salmon in and around Ketchikan, Alaska and a fly out in to the Tongass National Forest with my friend Barrett. It was a spectacular time. From Alaska I went straight to Jackson Hole, WY to work on the aerial project and of course do some fishing which the highlight was a creek we found in eastern Wyoming that held native Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout. It was simply amazing fishing catching big native fish. From there I think I made it home for three days before heading to Montauk. From there I fished a few times in the bay in and around Easton with some good success and finished the year taping Fly Fisherman magazines Fly Fisherman TV show that airs on the Sportsman channel. I may have been to a few other places in between all this, but I think I hit the highlights.

2010 appears to be full of a lot more adventures, I start off sail fishing in Florida, then home three days to head to Punta Mita, Mexico to chase rooster fish, dorado and marlin on the fly, home for a few days and off to Abaco to chase some bonefish and permit, back to Florida to take a friends boat across the gulf stream to the Berry Islands to again chase some more bonefish, from there to South America to fish the Rio Parana again and then to the end of the earth in Terra Del Fuego, Chile to fish some never before fished or explored rivers for sea run brown trout and salmon. From there it's back to Jackson Hole, WY for some trout and aerial photo work, from there to the west coast of the US to Washington to hook with fishing friend Barrett where we will drive his camper to Oregon to fish the Owhyee River for what some say is the best brown trout fishing in the world. From there we will take a one day rest and head to Alaska where we will fish the Situk River for giant Steelhead. From there I hope to head home for a week or two before returning to the Bahamas to chase some dorado, marlin and bonefish. That should take care of at least the first half of the year. So far for the second half I have on the fishing calendar Cape Cod, Alaska, Montauk and the CBBT, I am sure I will get back to the Bahamas.

In the pictures you will see not just fish, but wildlife and candid shots of the adventures, I could write a book about getting to all the places adn the travel while there, the all night flights, the canceled flights, the over night buses, the float planes flying in about zero vis into lakes in Alaska, rental trucks in Argentina that tires almost fell off, more rain then I have ever seen fall for a prolonged time in Alaska, getting scared to death hiking in the Tongass Forrest only to come face to face with a brown bear, taking ferry's in crazy weather to islands, carrying way too much stuff on trains...it was a blast and as much as catching the fish was fun, the adventure and spending times with friends brought just as much fun. In the pictures you will see friends Tom, Barrett, Wild Bill, Giant Tuna, Big Bass Bob, foxes, monkeys, toucans, a bear, a rhea, other birds, guanacos and plenty of fish. The picture quality is not as food because I put it in movie form, but they are still decent if you watch it in HD. I hope you enjoy.

Good fishing to all in 2010!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Awesome year Brandon. You are very fortunate to fish all over the world. You have a great passion for the sport. Thanks for the video and for your dedication to this board.:yes::clapping2::thumbup:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Thanks for sharing your fishing experiences and adding location info for reference. Very nice montage. Jim

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eastern Wyoming

I forgot to include some cool pictures from western Wyoming where we chased the native yellowstone cuts. Cool thing is we stayed on a ranch where I slept in the same room Butch Cassidy used to sleep in when he worked on the ranch. He was hired by the owner to steal horses off the ranch so they could get reimbursed, basically where he learned his outlaw ways. Was pretty fun, cold as you will see in the pics below, but fun.

In the pictures, native Yellowstone cut throat trout, analope, mule dear, a cut throat that an eagle caught and released, probably not on purpose :)) 2003.jpg 2001.jpg 2004.jpg 2005.jpg 2002.jpg 2006.jpg 2007.jpg

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Like the cuttie!
You should give me some advice while im still young so I can do that all the time! Hahaha

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Looks like a fantastic 2009. Good luck in 2010!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Brandon
Looks like you had a great time fishing around the world this year. Enjoyed the video and pictures. Good luck fishing in 2010.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Brandon:

Good to see I made one of you highlight pictures. Hope to see you again in 2010. Hope it's a great year for you.

GT

·
Registered
77 Posts
All of that kinda makes catching a few rockfish on the Chesapeake Bay seem trivial. WOW!! Gonna be hard to beat all of that in 2010. Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Great pictures - hope 2010 is as good to you as 2009 looks to have been.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Brandon the sailfish are waiting, the season before this cold front has been the best in years. In between Sailfish bites the dolphin and smoker Kings are hot and heavy and Palm beach inlet is full of huge Jacks and Permit.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wino
I heard the jacks were there, I am on the jetway coming to get them, but a few sails first:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts