1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
( well, not really a 'fishing' report)

I didn't expect to see this while I was out fishing today ~

More pics on my Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/bob.schell...1073741830.100000522986606&type=3&pnref=story

I don't usually see this when I'm out fishing. This poor little deer was in the middle of the river in a stretch where it's about 4 miles wide. She had no sense of direction and who knows how long she had been swimming out there. It's striped bass season in VA. and there were some boats out, one came past her at speed perilously close. I'm an animal lover and couldn't just do nothing so I tried to guide her toward shore. Well, that wasn't happening. So I tried to get a hold of her. I've been nursing a sprained wrist all week so it was all I could do to hold on, but I knew it was tougher for her. We both hung in there. I lost my grip a few time, she swallowed a lot of water, and I thought she was a goner several times. I used my painfully slow electric trolling motor to head in towrd shore, fighting the current. An hour and 15 minutes later I got a few yards from shore and let go thinking she'd be ok but she went right under. Let me tell you, that 57 degree water was cold! But I jumped in and dragged her up on to the shore. I squeezed about a quart or more of the river out of her and then she bubbled a bunch more from her nose, but at least she was breathing. We sat together for 3 hours with her head in my lap until it was getting dark and I was pretty cold by then anyway. It felt good to get back and jump in the hot tub and warm up. She looked exhausted but ok when I left. I'll go back and check to see if she's there in the morning. I'm hoping she's off in the woods making new friends and avoiding hunters : ) What a privilege to be able to be there and try and help my new little friend.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dude, that's awesome! She didn't stand a chance without you. Hope she makes it!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Way to go! The greatest act of kindness I've heard in a long time. Just proves again that recreational fishermen are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The happiness I felt yesterday has been replaced with sadness today. When I went back across the river to check on her this morning I was expecting to get there and have joyful memories of sitting with her but instead I saw her lying where I left her. She fought hard but I guess it was all too much for her. Thanks to my fellow animal lovers for your kind comments ~

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very sorry to hear. The whole family loved your story (we still do); we're now in a grieving process. Thanks for posting and sorry for your personal loss.

·
Registered
424 Posts
They are actually pretty good swimmers. Not uncommon to see two or three (running from the NNK Ker Hound - Pick Up Truck with the RDFs Mob Squad) pop across the creek - I think they are actually faster than our chessies in the water.

A few years ago, I was running home at night and actually hit one crossing the Severn River.

My favorite Homer - https://www.bing.com/images/search?...4b7d4e1d7cd3d4f3ce0b0e300583e6ceo0&ajaxhist=0

·
Registered
218 Posts
Deer can swim very well and its not unusual for them to cross bodies of water like that, even in icy waters. It sounds like your very good intentions may have killed the deer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't always think people are dumbasses but when I do its usually the above type person.

OTAYPANKY- I don't always think people are cool but when I do its people like yourself.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deer can swim very well and its not unusual for them to cross bodies of water like that, even in icy waters. It sounds like your very good intentions may have killed the deer.
She was obviously confused and exhausted and after observing her for a while it was plain to see she had no idea of which way to go. After seeing her like that and then be narrowly missed by a fast moving boat I decided to try and help.
I'll assume you're a swimmer, and if I ever see you in distress you can be sure I'll remember your advice

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm just pointing out, dragging it beside your boat in the water for an hour and fifteen minutes may have exhausted the deer.

Not a popular observation, I see.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I first reached her she was hardly able to swim any more at all. I hung over the gunnel and held her head above water the whole time and traveled at the speed of an electric trolling motor in to current. The few times I lost my grip she realized I was trying to help her and she would try and get back to me. I don't see how what I did killed her.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You did more that I probably would have. Damn good job dude, but unfortunately sometimes there is never enough you can do. You tried, what else is there

1 - 17 of 17 Posts