Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be in Eastport on Sat morning. On a whim, I stopped at the Annapolis Spring River Canoe and Kayak store to see if they carried the Native Watercraft brand of sit-on-top kayak. It turned out that they did, and had the Manta 14, the same model that I used when I caught redfish last July with kayak fishing guide Cory Routh in Virginia Beach. That boat paddled more easily than my Ocean Kayak Drifter and was far more comfortable to sit in. :fishing2: I had thought about getting a Native Manta 14 as an upgrade to my existing kayak.

The shop had two 2008 Manta 14's that were marked down substantially. I thought about it overnight, called Cory Routh to get his advice (which was positive), and went back this afternoon to buy the boat.

After selling my Parker around Labor Day, I decided to change my fishing fleet from a large power boat to a small power boat and two kayaks. All can be stored easily at my house and can be transported behind or inside my Honda Odyssey minivan. In the past month, I have bought a used boat and trailer, a new 9.9-hp motor, and now a new kayak. Even after those purchases, I have put only about 1/3 of the proceeds from selling the Parker to work, with the rest parked in savings. The second semester college bill will come in soon! :eek: [Trevor, Clancy, and the rest of you with young kids -- see what you have to look forward to :rolleyes:]

I now have a spare kayak. I have not yet decided if I will keep it or sell it. A lot depends on whether my wife shows any interest in occasionally paddling with me (kayak paddling, that is). In the mean time, if any of you want to borrow a kayak for a few hours, let me know. Following some medical work tomorrow, I will be out of fishing and boating commission for the rest of the year and won't even get to try the new kayak until January.

Attachments

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
Sweet rig, John!! Looks like a serious pickerel machine.

Hope everything goes well tomorrow, & that you'll be healthy enough to attend the Dec. club meeting and at least talk about fishing.

Best, JPW

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Great looking boat John!

We'll have to get out (when you are able) and see how that Manta works beside my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. ;-)
The Pickerel will be calling us by then.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Nice rig John. :yes:

This river is very accomodating for small boat fishing action, especially when searching for my nemesis...The Esox Niger. :rolleyes:

Get fixed and get back at it big guy.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
That's the way to stimulate the economy, John!! - spend that money!! :D
Know what you mean about the college bills - I'm on the monthly easy payment plan with my son for another 2 1/2 years.

Nice looking yak - - looks real comfortable in the seat :thumbup:. Good luck with you medical work - hope you're "bak-in-the-yak" in short order.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got two in college.
John - I am part owner Annapolis Canoe and Kayak for the past 18 months. I appreciate your helping with my bills. Hope the boys in the shop took good care of you.
You also know my day job now - an interesting chance meeting.
Hope you recover well.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts