Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well tomorrow looks a little too rough for fishing so why not hit the range with a few of my toys. Just rifles for this trip. A couple for the 200 yrd. bench a couple for the shorter stuff.

From top to bottom:

1. Ruger 10/22 target model with Heavy barrell thats spiral cut and hammer finished. The stock is a pretty laminate and the scope is a tasco olympic taget model thats fully adjustable for parralex at short yardages.

2. Remington VLS in .243 Heavy 26" barrel with a custom trigger and free floated barrell. 6-20x Simmons scope with sunshade. Shoots 1 moa at 200 yrds.

3. Tikka Master Sporter in 22-250 Possibly the best varmint gun ever made by any manufacturer. Produced when Tikka was made with the Sako's. I ordered this one 1 year before they were even in production and put about 25 rds. through it a year. I can't explain how nice the trigger, stock, and action are for a factory gun. Sadly I think they were only produced for one year. It's got a Weaver V24 varmint scope with sunshade and Sako optilock bases and rings.

4. Ruger compact .308 in stainless and laminate. Super short and light little deer gun. I can carry this baby in the heaviest of cover or for an entire day with no fatigue. She shoots about an 1" with custom loads and 100 and weighs less than 7#'s with the burris 3x9 fullfield 2. Currently she needs a trigger job cuz I'm not happy with the factory one, but shes good enough for hunting.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Real nice! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! Well range day was hit and miss. We had great success sighting in the new deer guns for my father and Tony. It was however pretty windy. I'd say a good 10-15 crosswind downrange. I was pretty reluctant to waste any good handloaded ammo with that much wind as I'm really dialing in my 22-250 and .243 to see how good it can get. My father did persuade me to show the boys what the Tikka can do, so I put down 3 Federal 40 grain sierra factory loads I use for hogs. I figured maybe I'd get an 1" or 1.5" at 200 in that wind.
It turned out to be a little better. Looks to be about .6 or .7 at 200. Whats that better than .5 moa? Not many custom guns can do that with handloads and this gun will do it all day long.

I also found out the Ruger Compact hates 150 grain bullets. She shoots the heavy stuff pretty good. Normally with 168 grain Win Supreme I can get close to 1 MOA, but the 150's were around 4". I definitely want to investigate that further but for now I'll just stick to the heavy stuff for hunting season.

Had some fun with the 10/22 twice putting 10 shot groups inside a quarter size black dot at 50 yrds. I dropped a flyer on the third group that just missed the edge.

I shot two 5 shot groups with my .243 Scirocco handloads for deer hunting. Not my most accurate loads but it;s may favorite bullet for deer with this gun. Both groups where under an 1" but somewhat less than what this gun is capable of with target loads.

My buddy Tony sighted in a Mossberg slug gun I sold him with the new Hornady slugs. Now with the Win Supreme 3" I've shot 3 shot .75" inch groups at 100. I had to test 8 different loads to find that kind of accuracy but it was worth it. I didn't really expect the Hornady's to shoot as well but we got a 2 shot touching group after zeroing her in. Tony didn't have the shoulder to try for a third but these slugs are winners in my book. Great gun but the recoil is insane! Tony said he didn't think it would be as bad as his 7mm mag. Then he shot both and conceded the slug gun kicked "a bunch" more.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice guns. That Ruger 10/22 is such a classic....I went ahead and bought two of them; A youth model for my kids and one for myself.

Where did you shoot today? You said you shot at 200 yards so that rules out a few places that I normally go.

I like Delmarvs Sporting Clays. Nice 300 yards range. :thumbup:

The guys at mdshooters.com would love those pictures.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i live about 10 miles form the carroll county public range so I normally shoot there. Anyone interested in the range is welcome to come along on my next trip. Its a great range if you haven't been and I'll be sure to bring some toys.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i live about 10 miles form the carroll county public range so I normally shoot there. Anyone interested in the range is welcome to come along on my next trip. Its a great range if you haven't been and I'll be sure to bring some toys.
Ah...Hap Baker? Nice place and I was glad to see they did a fine job of rebuilding after last year's fire.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah...Hap Baker? Nice place and I was glad to see they did a fine job of rebuilding after last year's fire.
Yeah she looks great after the rebuild. I've spent a bunch of hours at that range in the summer evenings with old Jim trying to touch 5 at 200.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what the TIkka will do at 200 when I'm having a good day. 3 shots

1 - 9 of 9 Posts