Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do others miss the incredible reports we used to have on here from CBBT at this time of years? Every night I'd get home from work and check out the reports and then start planning how I could get away. I love to deer hunt and I'd even blow off deer season because the fishing was so good. I for one miss the excitement. I know there is still some good fishing, but you need to in the right place at the right time. CBBT used to be a guarantee.. All things change, but every now and again you really have to wish that the things that you love were not part of that change.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
I think anyone who went to CBBT in late 90's / early 2000's and had 100 big fish days realizes the great days are in the past.

Tough to listen to DNR / ASMFC say all is well when now a 20 fish day is considered good.

CBBT is one of the few places I ever stopped fishing due to being worn out by too many fish.

I know there are many excuses given why the fish are not there but after so many slow seasons - the excuses are getting old.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Hey Jack-

It would sound like a broken record if I told you there are far fewer stripers everywhere, so I won't do it. :wink44:

Very soon the majority of guys will get the message. After the winter gill net season, next year will be worse. doh

We are way past making excuses for why guys are not catching. Wishful thinking is not going to bring the fishery back.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I agree. This is going to be the first season I have ever missed.doh I was introduced to CBBt by ( Pat-HACKKFLY) on the board:thumbup:. I remember that kamakazi run like it was yesterday.:yes: We went down in his camper in early December and LTJ some quality fish up to mid 40's then drove back the next day:bigfish:. Then I started going down every year after in my boat and learned the area of the 4th Island and the HI-RISE. I remember one trip that I had a few friends who had never been down on the boat. We arrived at the 9 ft shoal and the Furuno was lit up like a Xmas tree. They were stacked like a cord of wood. My first cast with a 6 inch bass assas. chart in color gets smashed and I proceed to fight this fish for 15 minutes and put a 43lber on the deck.:bigfish::rockingreport: The look on my friends face was priceless. We proceeded to WHACK'EM. We lost count after 400+ fish on the Jig that day.:rockingreport: Then I was introduced to eeling with a bobber down there and WOW is all I can say. I caught my biggest fish ever on 15 lb test on a shimano baitrunner with a 7 ft Fenwick Glass Rod= Citation fish 49 1/2 inches --48.6 lbs. on light tackle:bigfish:. We have also hooked fish eeling the Highrise at night that we never saw that probably where
60+ lb. fish. One night we saw a fish in the light reflection beside the boat. We were anchored up at the Highrise and I was reeling in my eel to check it and this fish swiped at it beside the boat. It flared its gills and missed the eel. This fish is the biggest rockfish my eyes have ever seen:bigfish::eek2:. I estimate this fish to be over 5ft long!! Yes it was a rockfish. We have also been spooled multiple times at the bridge at night.

I could go on and on.:rockon:

What a great place it use to be. Maybe someday it will comeback?:help:

Merry Xmas

Phil (lily)

·
Registered
961 Posts
10 years ago or so I used to read reports from Cato on the VA board. He used to post just insane pics of guys with limits of 40 lb. plus fish caught out of VA beach, OI, etc. Of course, there were many others doing the same thing. Now, these folks were fishing legally - that isn't the point. I just used to wonder how the fishery could survive the pressure when folks were literally killing prespawn cows. Well, I guess the answer is the fishery couldn't sustain the pressure.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I agree. It's more the weather -water temps -bait this year. I do think the pressure on the fish all winter long has done some damage over the years.

Phil (lily)

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Jack,

So true! The fishery down there was nothing less then spectacular for light tackle and fly fishing, not to mention for the bait and trollers as well. I remember fishing down there in the middle 1990's and there were fish everywhere and the good fishing started mid November. The stripers used to be all around the CBBT not just tight on the structure, you could drift a mile of the bridge on the outgoing and jig fish up the whole time. It was always exciting to go to dinner at Sting Rays after a long day and see who you were going to run into, hang out, shoot the bull and have a good time.

I guess the old saying, "things change" couldn't be any truer. I will say that I think weather patterns have changed the fishing especially this year, but with out a doubt even in the last few years when we've had the right conditions and good stretches of weather it seems the numbers of stripers overall at the CBBT have done down along with the size of the fish. I am not saying there have not been some big stripers around, there have, just not like it used to be there or what you could count on.

Walleye Pete keeps some great records and if you review his data you see less numbers of fish and decreasing in the size, those numbers do not lie.

I miss the fishing, the excitement and the camaraderie that we used to have down there. I hope the fishing comes back because we've had some really good times down there:yes::fishing2:

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I'm happy I caught part of it, it was pretty wild there with birds, boats, and TF'ers everywhere. Now the action is beyond the 3 mile line from what I read... but that's another topic.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Jack I have to agree the fishing at the bridge this year was the worst I've ever seen. I remember seeing you down at the bridge fishing your first time down and you were killing them. Almost all the pilings had fish stacked up on them it didn't matter which ones they all had fish. If you want big fish you need to venture out where wise men dare to go. The big fish are currently in the warmer water. I saw some pics recently of some pigs and I mean pigs all caught close to the 3 mile mark.:D:nono:

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Jack- I've decided not to make any trips down this winter. This will be the first year I missed since my first. I sure hope this isn't the new norm..................

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Jack I have to agree the fishing at the bridge this year was the worst I've ever seen. I remember seeing you down at the bridge fishing your first time down and you were killing them. Almost all the pilings had fish stacked up on them it didn't matter which ones they all had fish. If you want big fish you need to venture out where wise men dare to go. The big fish are currently in the warmer water. I saw some pics recently of some pigs and I mean pigs all caught close to the 3 mile mark.:D:nono:
No problem with being close to the 3mile line....Anyways, I guess there is nothing we can do to help the population or regs...b/c if we could Im sure we would do it. I say someone climbs a light pole on the CBBT and refuse to get down until the law makers takes this situation serious. Not me, too dammmm cold!

I hate hearing about how things used to be....Same thing from the old Salts up in the Flats...crying shame

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know there is still some good fishing, but you need to in the right place at the right time.
Jack ,that's why I still go. I know it's not the way it use to be, and I know there's going to be some dissapointing days, but I still look forward to this time of year. You never know , I pray and dream that one day might be in the right place at the right time . :amen:

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Sad situiation, I had some fun days down there. I remember fishing with Jack in my Pathfinder at 9ft using the trolling motor to keep us on a ledge. We were catching big fish and called Walleye on the phone to come join us. Pete came over with his party but couldn't get his boat in the right position to get right on that spot, we slayed them. Like the loss of the Sea trout I hope this is not the handwriting on the wall for the Rockfish.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Won't be making the run again this year either. That will be two years in a row. Last year more because it blew every chance I had, this year due to reports and cold water temps. Just not worth it when you can find the same if not better fish closer to home. Weather wise this year is almost mirroring last year, just hopefully not in snow fall. Just icing on the cake to a relatively disappointing year. Come on 2011!!!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Ahhh...the good 'ole days!!! Sad it was just a few years ago! :((Add in a few more menhaden boats and few more gill netters and there wont be nuttin left to fish for except perch...I can see it now...trolling shad darts on 330 GTI's with planer boards!!!:wahoo::eek2:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts