Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon arriving at home yesterday my 6 year old girl asked me to come into the other room so she could ask me something. She purposely took me out of the room that her mother was in because she didn't want Mom to hear what she was about to ask. She is a smart one. After promising complete daughter/daddy privilege, she claimed that she is gonna ask Santa for a BB gun. Hah! my subtle brainwashing over the years has worked.

Since their birth I have always done certain things to get them out of doors and into nature (and in a way so that they wouldn't become PETA freaks.)
Things such as:
1. Watching Hunting/Fishing shows on Saturday mornings instead of cartoons (They love it).
2. Letting them know that Bambi wasn't a shooter in the movie but that he would probably grow up to be a wall hanger in the sequel.
3. Taking the kids scouting for deer sign in the woods or on a drive in the country to "glass the beanfields".
4. Telling them exactly what animal they were eating at dinner.
5. Explaining "the circle of life" and what happens to the balance when you remove the predators (me and you guyz).
6. Telling them what I saw/shot/released/caught when I got home from hunting or fishing.
7. Above all, stressing the sportsman's ethical treatment of animals. (Not to be confused with PETA)

By the way, I have twin 6yr girls (both are tough as nails) and a 3 yr old boy (smart and loves to fish). Soon I will be taking the girls (1 at a time) to some of the permanent stands at our club so they can be with daddy when he is hunting. One of them has the patience right now, but the other 2 would be like taking a loud speaker.

Anyway, after the years of mom's overt girlying of them, some of my more covert methods are taking hold... Soon I will rule the world!!

By the way: I claimed that for liability reasons, Santa might put her on the waiting list for the BB gun. But I'm considering slipping a Red Ryder under the tree. He11, I had one at their age... but it was a different time back then. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think that is awesome. Come hell or high water there would be a bb gun under that tree for your little Princess.

I have a 10 year old son and a 7 year old daughter and have raised them very much the way you are doing it. PJ got his second deer this past youth day and Taylor is bugging me about taking her hunters safety course....

You are doing it right my man, and you should be proud of yourself for it.

Pete

·
Registered
93 Posts
amen to that.. I have a 20 mo old and 9 week old.. Sunday AM ritual is jsut as you described.. me, the kids, a cup of coffee and about 3 hours of hunting/fishing shows.. its heaven for me and mom ( thats the only three hours she gets to herself each week , right now)
Get the gun..

·
Registered
707 Posts
[Q] 2. Letting them know that Bambi wasn't a shooter in the movie but that he would probably grow up to be a wall hanger in the sequel.
[/Q]

i will never look at bambi the same way after that view![grin]

by all means the girls should have red ryders. i remember my sister and i both got them one year for Christmas. i was in 5th grade and she was in 3rd, i believe. she really could have cared less but i have pics of her shooting it. hahaha. good times.

mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
Right on, Mighty! It was uncanny to read your post - your methods/views for your kids are exactly the same as mine - no kidding. I tell my 3 kids (6, 5, and 3) the same things, they love it when it's backstrap night for dinner, they love the hunting/fishing shows, and they love to scout for the deer with me and Mom on the evening rides through the countryside looking for the herds. Really cool that we share the same approach to investing in our future hunting and fishing buddies! Something even more uncanny - Mom and I just got the 6 and 5 year olds their first Red Ryder's at BPS last Friday. I can't wait to shoot with them! BTW, my 6yr old will turn 7 Jan 3rd (daughter). My son is the 5 year old - actually 5 1/2. Neither will have access to the guns without me with them, at least until they consistently demonstrate that they live/eat/breather the 10 commandments of gun safety - probably at least a year or two. [wink]

·
Registered
838 Posts
Do it [excited]! I gave my grandson a BB gun for his sixth birthday. Took him out back and set up a couple of coke cans. He hit the first one right off the bat with his first ever shot. Same with the second can. His eyes got as big as saucers, looked at the gun, looked at me and said "Papa, there deer in the woods, lets go" and started walking towards the woods. I think I've got my next hunting buddy. PS I've already bought his birthday present for his 7th, a .22/410 combo. Maybe next fall he'll be in the woods with me. His Dad (great son-in-law) already takes him fishing and squirrel hunting with him.

·
Registered
211 Posts
MY SON IS 6 AND MY DAUGHTER IS 7 THEY BOTH LOVE TO SHOOT TOOK MY SON YOUTH GOOSE SEASON WITH A 410 /BISMUTH #4S , IF YOU THINK YOUR A DEAD EYE TRY THAT SOMETIME ....TEACH YOUR KIDS TO HUNT AND YOU WON'T HUNT FOR YOUR KIDS

JUST TEACH UM SAFETY.A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE IN ND. JUST LOST HIS SON IN A HUNTING ACCIDENT REMEMBER YOU ONLY HAVE TO SCREW UP ONCE AND IT'S ALL OVER.....

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Go for it!!!!!!!!! My seven year old son is having a blast this year Deer hunting. I hooked him up with .410 single shot that we drilled and tapped and mounted a 1.5X4.5 Swift Shotgun scope on. At 50 yards its gonna be meat in the cooler when he gets a chance. Man I can't hardly stand it wating for him to drop the hammer on one.

My 15 year old daughter is getting kinda gealous that Corbin is spending so much time with Dad and is kinda hinting around that she wants to go and she can really shoot. Our family spends a lot of time shooting in the back yard.

For those of you that don't get the family involved in the hunting sport we love, YOU ARE MISSING OUT. Get yourself a nice .22 rimfire and a .410 singleshot and start them early. You won't be sorry.

DEAN

·
Registered
484 Posts
That is great.
My 5 year old is itching for a bb gun.The only way we can insure there will be hunting for our children and grandchildren is to get the younger generation away from the tv and into the woods.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got my 8 year old one this past summer and he is loving it - using it responsibly!! And little sister, 6, uses it carefully (and with supervision) as well. Actually going to Dicks this weekend with my brother to get one for my nephew for his birthday...Go for it! Anything we can do WITH our kids teaching them as we go is GREAT!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
IT"S NOT BRAINWASHING!!!!!!!!!!!

You're merely teaching them an alternative to the cartoons and the mall. They will probably discover that on their own later anyway, puberty and the other pursuits.

I have 6 year old twins, one boy and girl (Hence the name of my boat), that will be 7 this month and I have been asking myself the same BB gun question.

I guess I have my answer, we'll see.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Gotta do it. My daughters and I love to hunt together and some of my fondest hunting memories are of them. My oldest girl got her first deer at age 12, nice big 7 pointer, my 9yo girl missed her first opportunity this year at age 12 and my is still trying every afternoon with me to get her first deer. My 9yo son got his first this year on youth day and his second on opening day of shotgun season.... the boys chest is still puffed out. My 4 yo daughter is coming up right in line with the rest....... We have a great time in the woods eating candy, sleeping and drinking soup.... It don't get much better.......

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think if kids are taught young enough about guns and what a gun can do.I don`t think you would read about so many kids accidently shooting themselves or someone else.

CUROSITY KILLED THE CAT [sad]

·
Registered
331 Posts
A BB gun for both girls, and set up tin cans on strings for target practice. Then move onto the .22 in a year or so...But that's your call, brother.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm with you yellowfin.
You would'nt have all these proplems with kids if you teach them early enough. I was taught about guns and brought up to respect them , if i did'nt my old man would beat my ass blue.
My son knows if he touches his gun without me or mom ,his ass is mine.
I think gun safty should be tought in school and kids should know that guns don't kill people people kill people...

·
Registered
29 Posts
All you guys are right in line with my thinking exactly. My 6 year old girl wants to go hunting with me tomorrow. I told her to wait until its warmer (its supposed to be 16 outside) At that temp it would be closing hunting for her almost immediately and permanently. Don't want her to go unless she sees deer so she can get that same heart pumping feeling we all got that first time.

I also agree with the posts about gun education. If these kids were taught gun safety and shown what guns can do - I doubt we'd have all the accidents we read about in the press.

Getting involved in hunting teaches us a better and deeper respect for life- one that they can't get from TV and video games.

·
Registered
322 Posts
reading these posts is heart warming to me. I don't have kids or a wife for that matter (i'm 28) but when i do I plan to raise them exactly as y'all describe.

One other thought about hunting safety besides the gun safety part is to invest in a harness for yourself and the kids for when you're hunting from an elevated stand. I heard somewhere that more hunting accidents occur as a result of falling out of the stand than getting shot. I also ate lunch next to a guy at a diner a few years back who lost his 15 yr old son to a broken neck that was a result of falling from a tree stand. he was on the next stand over and when he went to get his boy he found him on the ground. i cannot imagine a worse nightmare. i had fallen asleep in treestands before and never thought too much about it until talking to that guy. now i wear a harness. please remember this element of hunting safety.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts