Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent Brothers:
I took my boat out Friday morning to do some perch fishing with the kinder. We got enough for a fish fry dinner and then the kinder wanted to go back.....to play video games and DVD's I guess. Anyway I went back out to check out the Bay bridge pilings and thats when it happened. Last season I started using the the Yamaha 10 micron fuel filter/water separator because of the E-10 gas. They seemed to work fine and I never had an E-10 related problem. Well I guess I got a little careless because the fuel filter got clogged and then I realized I didn't have a spare with me. (insert STUPID icon here) Or a strap wrench to help get the darn thing off. (insert 2 STUPID icons here) Anyway with 2 hands and lots of prayer I managed to twist the thing off and found it was clogged right at the top with a varnish like substance. I cleaned it off the best I could, dumped out the fuel into a bucket and screwed it back on. After some prolonged cranking to fill the filter again, the engine started and I made it back to the ramp. (insert relieved icon here) As soon as I got the boat put away it was off to Fairwinds to get 3 more yamaha 10 micron filters just to be sure this don't happen again

·
Registered
985 Posts
That's scary. I was just on my boat with the dealer to do some spring maintenance. I asked him about the filters and he told me not to worry about it if I'm using stabilizer, etc. I'm a little scared, but I want to trust the pros. I have a 5.7 Volvo with EFI. It started up fine today after a long winter's nap...

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
I found (the hard way ) that a leather belt can be used as a strap wrench to remove a filter.

GrayBeard-Thanks for the heads up-the E-10 problems are about to start with everyone getting ready for spring.

Great advice to carry spare filter and wrench.A one gallon Zip Lock bag is good to hold the old filter until you get to shore.

Glad you got back in. :)) Skip

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Graybeard

I have read about the Yamaha Micron filter but don't know if it mounted under the motor hood or if you are talking about the inline water/seperator filter. Would you please enlighten me. I certainly want to keep on top of this issue.

Thanks
SommerTime

·
Registered
626 Posts
GB - the varnish was just that - varnish from years(?) of accumulation in your tank. The alcohol loosens the dirt and it clogs the filters. I magine if you didn't have the filter and that **** got to your injectors. I think that varnish is going to be a much larger problem than water accumulation. I went to the larger Racor filters last year to give myself more filter surface area. The Yamaha under cowling filters are just too small to count on if that old stuff starts coming loose from the tank.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I have read about the Yamaha Micron filter but don't know if it mounted under the motor hood or if you are talking about the inline water/seperator filter. Would you please enlighten me. I certainly want to keep on top of this issue.
SommerTime,

The 10 micron filter being referred to here is the fuel/water sep that is before the motor.

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
That bilge is spotless !!!!:clapping2: :clapping2: Skip

·
Registered
552 Posts
Are we getting E-10 when we buy gas?

I know they mess with the formula from winer to summer, but I didn't know that the gas we are buying is E-10.
We've all had bad gas problems at on etime or another.
Seems like every bad gas story will now be blamed on E-10.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Ole Gray One, if it's going to happen to anyone it's going to happen to you,:helpsmilie: just glad you made it back to the ramp. I carrier a spare with me and also a rubber filter remover just ask Jack about our trip last year when my filter filled what ice man what a mess. When are you hitting the flats I’ll be up there the 18th 19 and 20 with Uncle Phill just pray for good weather we had snow squalls most of the day today. :eek2:

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
GB-

You were very fortunate your manly grip could remove that filter. I tighten mine with a wrench and one is required to remove it. You should have a wrench on board, but I would not consider what happened a major screw up on the water at all. It was really rather minor.

When I saw the title I was expecting a epic tale involving naked women, fire works, loud noises, animals, helicopters, the Coast Guard, CPR and Sea Tow. The story is not really up to your normal standards.:wacko:

·
Registered
416 Posts
John its good you make an example for the rest of us to learn from, oh Prince of Parker.

Kevin is that the Parker bilge or the Alloy one? I don't recognize the screws so I suspect the metal boat.
Skip All the Parker bilges I know are that clean. Are you saying the Grady's aren't so loving to thier boats? :)

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
whew!!!!

I'm with Wild Bill. I thought he had the kinder and SWMBO'd on the boat and she saw the new Cabo...and...............................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to read this. Just had my spring maintenance on my Suzuki 140 OB. I haven't checked my filter which is orange and looks much smaller than the picture. My mechanic offered me the one shown for $174.00 uninstalled. Anyone know if this is in line or not. I'll be sure to check my orange can tomorrow.
Jeff

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Eminent Beothers:
Well it wasn't one of my funnier episodes and I can laugh about it now, but; it sure don't feel too good knowing you're out there alone and dead in the water. At least I had a VHF radio, cell phone and a flair gun if I was really in trouble. My bilge isn't as clean as my esteemed fellow Parker owner Megabites's is, but; at least it's semi clean. So with a relatively clean outside of the filter, I could get a manly man type grip in it. If it was slippery I guess my only alternative would have been to call Tow Boat US, cause it was just me and Jimmy Buffett out there. I thought I had a spare on board, but; I forgot I used it when I winterized the boat. (insert senior moment icon here) Now I have a strap wench and 2 spare filters. My boat is now 8 years old and it certainly sounds like the E-10 was responsible for disolving some of the old gunk accumulating in the tank. And yes I'm very glad this stuff didn't get past the filter and into my injectors. So I suspect I will get more of this kind of thing until the tank is nice and clean.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts