Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know, I sold my trusty Parker 23 SE around Labor Day. After visiting the Annapolis boat show last weekend, my boating juices got flowing again. Today I pulled the trigger and drove to Cobbs Creek, VA to pick up my new ride. Unlike the Parker, this boat has two motors, a full transom, and comes with a trailer. :thumbup:

But before your imagination gets too far carried away, let me share some other comparative statistics. The weight is about 9% of my Parker, the power is only 4% of the Yamaha HPDI I had on the Parker, and it holds only 5% as much gasoline. On the positive side, the boat cost only about 7% of what I paid for my Parker in 2002.

As you have probably guessed by now, I got a very small open boat. It is a 2000 Gheenoe Classic. At 15'6" and 250 lbs hull weight, it is not a boat to carry me all over the bay. It will be great for running in shallow and sheltered water in the Severn and other nearby tidal bodies. The 8-hp motor should push the hull at 15-20 mph and will sip gasoline. I mentioned above that I now had two motors -- the previous owner included an electric trolling motor. I have never had a boat with a trolling motor before, but it should be fun playing around with it.

My very first power boat was the smaller Gheenoe. While the Classic is no big water boat, it should give me more room and flexibility than the smaller one did. TF member Capt. Frank Ciurca now runs a guide service in Florida. I have fished twice with him on his larger center console boat. But he also uses a Gheenoe for extremely skinny water fishing trips for a single angler.

This size and weight of boat is what I need at this point in my boating life. I look forward to many happy days on the water and plenty of good fishing reports. :fishing2:

Attachments

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Very cool John. You will have at least as much fun and adventure with that baby. Congrats. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Nice pickup John!!! Congrats on the new purchase!! Looks like a sweet ride!

I give it about 10 seconds until Skip starts posting jokes about how much more seaworthy it is compared to your Parker!:))

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
John- Great boat! I had one 10 yrs ago I used in the upper potomac. Mine had a 15 hp on it, a trolling motor mounted on the front and a sonar unit. There have been many times I wish I still had it. If I had it today, I'd put a 18 hp jet drive on it. Even took it to Santee-Cooper:thumbup:...........

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice pickup John!!! Congrats on the new purchase!! Looks like a sweet ride!

I give it about 10 seconds until Skip starts posting jokes about how much more seaworthy it is compared to your Parker!:))
Mark -

Normally it would be 10 seconds, but I intentionally posted at a time when Skip would be preoccupied with Wish-A Fish.:yes:

·
Registered
837 Posts
That's a nice lookin' shallow fishing push polin' boat John. Real sweeeet.

Beats pushin' tin any day;-):D:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
:D - you guys know me too well :pp. Cool rig - bring it along in springtime , we can use her as a planer board :D.

Serious-she has a nice stance- should be perfect for the "secret" ponds of the Severn :yes:.

Figured you would not remain boatless too long :thumbup:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts