Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any up-close and personal experiences that you or anyone you know has had with mycobacteriosis. Remember a post from a while back about someone's saga with myco that was quite troubling as it caused spinal tuberculosis. Any help appreciated. Thanx

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hi Rip,

welcome to the board. if you're in a hurry, p-mail wino (Steve) in florida. He went thru hell a few yrs ago. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll repond to this post when he sees it. Also might try a search.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Do a search, advanced search, there are a lot of long threads on the forums about people's encounters with bacteria.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Welcome to the Community

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Without much information; the best thing I can tell you is if you suspect you (or someone you know) might have a mycobacteria infection; be sure to see an INFECTIOUS DISEASE physician. Do not wait too long for a regular Doctor to go through a course of regular antibiotics before you find out the organism is resistant to what you have been taking.
Myco infections usually take a long while to show up (a couple weeks) and they take a LOOONG time to heal (6 months to a year; or more).
5th(Marty)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the Community , A Profile & Small finacial Commitment Would help , If this as the Annual, Gloom & Doom discussion on " Fish Handlers" disease-Something those whom work the water consider a Occupational Hazzard , somewhat like a Nail pucture on a Farm ,Hopefully Anyone going fishing, would know that wildlife carries the need for Precaution when handeling it. Yes Wino , our Suntanned Snowbird will be ready & willing To clue you in , If ya wish tho hear a Monster Fish Handelers related story P M me, --geo.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I had a full blown bout of the disease. Very complicated bacteria, has led to 3 spinal surgeries. For more info PM me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this same infection about 8 years ago. It is bad stuff. I got it from getting stuck with the dorsal fin of a white perch. Surgery had to be done to
remove tissue from my hand to find out what type of infection it was. The cure was 6 months of 500mg. biaxum a very strong antibiotic.
Lesson learned I now keep rubbing alchol on my boat incase of a fin stick or cut.
EASY RIDER.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Good reminder to all of us to keep hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol and other first aid items on-board

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I keep Hibastat towlettes on the boat and in my boat bag in case I am on other boats. I never had Mico but did have MRSA twice and it can be very nasty and hard to get rid of also. The one time the MRSA took hold where I had been scraped by big striper lips. Strong doses of Bactrum were needed both times. Now when I get nicked on the boat I take care of it promptly. If you get an infection have it cultured promptly.

http://www.hibiclens.com/hibi_info.html

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I am a Myco survivor. I went to my dermatologst to have 2 lumps on my forearm checked. I was concerned that it might be lymphoma.
She took one look at my arm and asked me if I had contact with fish. She had observed this while working in Northeastern NC with watermen. She took a biopsy and started me immediately on a lengthy massive dose of antibiotics. It took 90 days for the biopsy culture results to come back. I definitely had Myco. Because it was caught early, the antibiotics killed it without any subsequent problems.
All I have for a reminder is the scar from the biopsy on my forearm. This is not something that you want to consult your family doctor about. Time is of essence. DO NOT PUT OFF HAVING IT CHECKED. It has changed the way I handle and unhook fish.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I am a Myco survivor. It took 90 days for the biopsy culture results to come back. I definitely had Myco.
When I first started working with Myco (over thirty years ago) it was not uncommon for us to take a long time to Culture, Identify, and get Sensitivity (drug) results.
Culturing would take about 4-6 weeks
Identification would take about 3-4 weeks
Sensitivity results would take 2 weeks

Now, with the use of radioactive culturing, DNA identification, and new sensitivity testing; we can cut the time down to a month or less.

Commercial hand washing ingrediants may help with many infections caused by the bay, but myco. is a VERY hardy organism that is difficult to kill (thus the long therapy with STRONG drugs). If it takes almost a year of strong antibiotics to kill the organism, why would you think any commercial hand soap or alcohol swabs would kill it after a 10 second exposure?

When we cultured the organism in the lab, we would submerge it in a very strong basic solution for 15 MINUTES. Even this did not kill it!! This killed all the OTHER organisms and allowed us to then culture (grow) the hardy myco organism.
Bleach will kill it, but again, you would have to keep your hands in bleach for a prolong amout of time.
Not trying to scare anyone, the organism is pretty rare, think of all the fishermen who DON'T get myco. Even I do not were gloves when handling fish.

I hope I get my hands on hundreds of fish this coming year (2011). Just be smart about any infections you do get, and remind your Dr. to at least CONSIDER myco. if you get an infection that requires a DR. visit.
5th (Marty)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Leave Broken Fins & Hooks in Place

Just a Suggestion , If Ya Break off a Fin ,Etc, Or Get a Hook in the Limd DEEP , Leave it IN PLACE & let Hosp. Or Dr. remove it with INSTANT wash out of the Wound , Then ya Know Sterile Solution has wahed the Wound to its Depth--As Many time A Dropped fish will cause an Injury I suggest "Giving it The Priest Treatment" on anything over 28"
--Mate Erik Uses the Priest On the " Stormy Petrel"--http://youtu.be/CP05NYUDD-Q

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Marty: Thnks for your informative input. I am glad to see that the testing procedures have been improved. It still is not an on the spot diagnosis.

The reason that I said it is not something that you want your family physician to attempt to diagnose, is because unless they have experience with it, they may not diagnose it correctly. It is my opinion (FWIW) that if you feel that you may have it, you should have the diagnosis performed by a dermatologist or a physician who has had experience with myco. My dermatologist started the drug therapy immediately because it was a better option than waiting for the culture results.

I do not wear gloves or worry about sanitizing. I usually use a "S" hook remover or pliers without touching the fish.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Without much information; the best thing I can tell you is if you suspect you (or someone you know) might have a mycobacteria infection; be sure to see an INFECTIOUS DISEASE physician.
5th(Marty)
You are correct, that's why I recommended an Infectious Disease physician over a regular doctor. However, if all you have is a regular doctor, be sure to mention the possibility of a myco infection th him (her) so they are not "spinning their wheels" on the initial visit.
5th (Marty)

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I was cleaning a fish at home last month. Was thinking to be careful and stuck myself anyway. Talk about scrubbing with soap, I kept thinking about Steve all week as I imagined it getting red.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Does anyone know how long myco lives once the fish has been removed from the water? It seems like I inevitably get stuck or cut when I am cleaning the fish.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Does anyone know how long myco lives once the fish has been removed from the water? It seems like I inevitably get stuck or cut when I am cleaning the fish.
Hopefully, without getting too technical; I'll take a stap at this (pun intended). First, let me say that several forms of Mycobacteria are normally found in the environment. This means that exposure to the normal range of heat and cold has no effect on the organism. The organism has a very high lipid content in it's cell wall. This is what makes it so resilient to the environment and also to drugs.
When we made slides of the organism, we placed the slides on special slide warmers that were set to high temperatures for at least two hours. This constant heat killed/pasturized the organism and made it safe to read with the aid of a microscope.
If you clean a fish that has myco on its fins, and it has been on ice for a couple hours, I would consider the organism to still be alive and potentially dangerous. After all, we would freeze dry the organism for storage and revive it and grow it at a later date.

Here's what you need to remember however. When we are talking about myco infected fish that are dieing in the bay (they have infected organs); we are NOT talking about the fish handlers disease (Mycobacterium marinum) in this original post. The Mycobacterium marinum which causes fish handlers disease can be found on fish, on mussels and barnicals on piers, and even in your fish tank in your living room. It's an environmental organism that you can be exposed to from a variety of sources (not just rockfish).
The myco killing the rockfish population is a different mycobacterium that is closely related to marinum. Mycobacterium tuberculosis causes TB in people and it's a closely related organism as well, but they are all slightly different.

I hope this makes some sense. Additionally, remember I am NOT a physician. Always ask for a culture and sensitivity (drug) test to be done and follow your physicians advise.

5th (Marty)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts