Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the bottom line on the new N.C. fishing licenses? Am I expected to buy a NC license to make my 2x annual trip down to the south Tower for AJs? Whos going to enforce it 25+ miles off the beach in Federal/International waters?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that if you leave and return from a VA port and fish in the federal waters you do not need to get the NC License. My understanding is that it only needed if fishing in NC waters (out to 3 miles) or if you are leaving from and returning to a NC port. Hopefully someone can give us the correct info.

Capt. William

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
You better check again. I believe if you are in n.c. waters regardless of where you launched you must possess a N.C. licence!! It is the same for the N.C. guy's fishing our waters THEY HAVE TO HAVE A VA. LINCENSE.

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
What BJ said, just don't go inside the 3mile line and you are OK :thumbup:

·
Registered
783 Posts
I guess I'm gonna have to adjust my track to keep me outside of NC waters then if I'm returning from the Cigar and other points south.

However - do they need to catch you in the act of fishing with lines in the water? If so, then if I'm on plane and moving, does it really matter?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got mine on-line. Printed off the temporary one, got the real deal a week later via mail. I figured $30 is probably cheaper than what the fine might be. :eek: ;-)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same question as you.

I called the NC DMF license department and they couldn’t answer the question.
Their standard answer is you need the license if you fish in coastal or joint NC waters, but they couldn’t define NC waters as being within 3 miles or what “joint NC water” is. My guess is coastal water in inside 3 miles and joint NC water is out to 200 miles, but it’s only a guess.

They transferred me to Captain Anthony who is in charge of Coastal enforcement and said the enforcement division has been better trained on these issues.

If and when I get a return call I’ll post the response.

But, as others have said I think the $30 license is the way to go with so much confusion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts