Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made my first trip of spring as surf has vanished for a few days. thought i was going to be skunked and then my reel was zinging. a nice little omilu (blue fin trevally) which gave a good battle on light tackle and will make a couple of tasty meals. i will try to get a camera to show some picks. was trolling minnow strips with a floatthat attracts the fish by splashing through the water about poles lentgh from the strip. 10 lb power pro w 12lb ande leader i use a small#10 or a #8 hook on the strips i like the circle hooks best for the way i fishyozuri crystal minnows work well also i realize this is not your area but i grew up on eastern shore and enjoy this site. aloha, hoaleboy [grin][excited]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Haoleboy,
I am trying to get orders out there...is there any kayak fishing clubs? Also how are the launch sites?
Keivn

·
Registered
29 Posts
I lived and surfed the North Shore for more than a few years I can only dream what its like to fish it. I was only into girls and surfing then! What are some of the places you put in?
SURF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont know if there are any clubs. but you can launch about anywhere as long as the surf and wind is ok. i live in haleiwa by the harbour but i usually launch from the beach if the surf is down. you can always go out of the harbour if the surf is up. using a kayak or even just a longboard is alot better then fishing from shore if you want to catch fish. the big island kona side guys catch pelagic species from kayaks . there is a guy on the cover of this months hawaii fisherman with a 58 lb ono (wahoo) in his kayak. i dont like to go farther out then i can swim in. i guess that would require better preparation and more equipment. like a life vest and a cell phone for starters i guess the possibilities are endless if you have the skills and the balls . but i think id prefer a motor and a bigger boat to go after fish like that. the beaches are public so you can launch about anywhere. i like mornings best because it is usually calmer.aloha, haoleboy[excited]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Haleiwa was one of my favorite places to surf many a morning you could find me in the water before the sun was up. We would hit Haliewa, Pipe or Sunset About 5AM and surf till it started to get crowded. Then to somewhere like Leftovers. Do you know a place called Little Haleiwa? I use to see a lot of guys fishing from the rocks there. Good luck.
SURF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts