Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I know it's a long way off but my In-laws rented a house just behind the the Nags Head fishing pier from 6/25 to7/2.
I was wondering what we could be fishing for that time of the year, what bait to use, etc. because believe it or not have never fished the Outer Banks before!
It's my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary and our taking us down for free!
Needless to say I'm excited, just hopeing to get some info.
Also, what is the chance of doing some crabbing while we are there? Is there any where we could go to do some handlining?
Love to be able to steam some Blue Claws while there!
Thanks, Olivia.[excited]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Usually small blues,spanish dawn/dusk maybe pompano/puppy drum,Flounder.......Spot ,skate almost certainly.If not Nags head...Bodie island soundside....ramp 4 or old coast guard station should hook you up ....short drive to all. local tackle shops will advise bait& whats biting.
Wes

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I certainly wouldn’t be surprised to see some real nice cobia around the pier that time of the year. You’ll need heavy tackle and stout rods to do battle with them. An encounter with the “man in the brown suit” on light tackle would surly be short lived.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Casting Got-cha lures from the piers seems to be the best way of catching blues from the piers. Retrieve with a fast jerking action. I caught some gray trout this same way last June.

Ditto the possibility of cobia that time of the year. Trying for them is more of a specialty, and you should visit a local tackle shop to get hooked up with the right equipment. They use two rods, cast one out with a grapple weight, then attach a release clip to that line and send a small live bluefish out with another rod and let out just enough line so the bait splashes around at the surface. Once you have that set-up in place, you can fish another rod for the small stuff while you wait and hope for the brown bruiser to show up. Don't be intimidated by the extra equipment needed, it's not that complicated. A cobia off the pier would be the thrill of a lifetime!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts