Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to hit the Nanjemoy because I wanted something secluded, and I thought I'd have a shot at some yellow perch and pickerel. I fished the entire flood tide from about 10:30 to a little after 3:00. The water temp at the launch on Friendship Landing was 37* when I launched, and the salinity was 6. There was some fishy-looking structure right by the launch, but there were a couple bass boats fishing it, so I headed upstream stopping to jig any deep holes or cast at fishy looking places. The channel was generally 9-10ft with some spots that were 20ft deep, and the channel frequently ran very close to shore. I didn't have any luck at the places I stopped, so I kept heading upstream with the thought that the fish might be in fresher water. There's hardly any development along the way, just the occasional dock or duck blind:

About half an hour from the launch, I found a place that had a bunch of fallen trees that was in the sun, so I casted and jigged around the trees. I ended up catching a couple of small yellow perch (~7in), which made my day:

It looks like I was about to play a harmonica. :D

The water temp was 38* and the salinity was 1.5 where I caught the perch. I kept working my way upstream without any luck. I found another stand of fallen trees, but there was another boat working it. I chatted with the guy for a while, and he had caught a couple nice largemouth earlier that day on a black and blue jig-n-pig. He said small crankbaits in firetiger were also good this time of the year. He also said that he could take his bass tracker boat up the river to where it hits Route 6, which would be about 5.7 miles from the launch.

I continued upstream until a little after 3, when I was about 4.5 miles (based on the docks I can see on Google Earth) from the launch. Up there, the water was mostly 4ft deep in the main channel, but the channel was quite braided so there were lots of areas that were only 1ft or less deep . My Mirage drive wasn't much of an advantage in the Nanjemoy because of the varying depth and abundance of woody debris.

I caught the perch on a 2" white Gulp grub and a 3" chartreuse with silver flake grub. During the course of the day, I also tried a 1/2oz Silver Buddy, a 4" electric chicken BA, a 4" soft jerkbait, a 4" chartreuse twin tail grub, and a spinnerbait. Apparently, I should've gone with dark colors. I primarily fished in water 2-5ft deep looking for pickerel, but I also jigged in the deep holes as I found them.

There was tons of birds around. On the way back, I saw a kingfisher, an eagle, and all kinds of ducks. It made for a pretty nice day.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks for the report. Let me know next time you hit Nanjemoy. It's been awhile since I've been on that creek. I would like to try it in March for perch or April for some LM Bass. I also think that creek maybe a good place to drift some cutbait for some catfish.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice report, thanks!!!
Part of the joy of kayak fishing is the opportunity to enjoy beauty and serenity in remote places.
You painted a nice pictuer of such a day.
I think there is some zen that comes form that connection to nature that helps the fishing - but perhaps it only makes it more fun.
catching some pearls like YP's is a bonus

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rod--will do. Have you fished it in spring? I was wondering how busy it got. As for catfish, there are some places where the channel goes almost onto the shore and is about 20ft deep. That's where I've found big blues when electroshocking in the James, Mattaponi, and Pamunkey in VA. It would be worth checking out.

corddry--one of my favorite things about kayaking is getting some place really quiet. Some times in the evenings at the mouth of the Patuxent, everything gets quiet for a while--no traffic noises, nobody cutting grass, no boat traffic, and no planes. I love that. On the Nanjemoy, there were several occasions when I startled myself because the rotor of my spinning reel brushed my waders and made a loud noise. That's how quiet it was. It was easy to think I was the only one on the whole river.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yellow Perch - Early March

I yak fished there early March last year and we caught some very fat yellow perch. Bull Minnows on shad darts and regular bottom rigs w. minnows. It was amazing how many people were out there that time of year. Lenny Rudow's book has a lot of great info about the place.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Joe Bruce used to give a great talk about exploring Southern MD creeks. His slide show would amaze you as to what can be caught. You should also get a copy of John Page Williams book about exploring the bay in a small boat. Joe has a couple of great books too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have fished Nanjemoy for years. It's a really cool creek. To the right of Friendship Landing is the upper creek where it winds back and forth like a snake. Lot's of outside bends with good depth to them. Structure is laydown trees, marsh edges, boat docks and duck blinds. To the left from the boat ramp is Hilltop Fork which is much shallowerer. Straight out from is the main body of the creek their are good fishing spots with the same structure as above. Burgess Creek is across from Friendship Landing but a pretty good paddle. I have never been in Burgess or the other creeks over on that side of Nanjemoy but I bet a kayak is the perfect boat to fish those little creeks that probably have a fair amount of fish that don't see many fisherman. Nanjemoy is overall a pretty shallow creek.

Sometimes there are lots of bass in this creek and some years not as much. I think it depends on the amount of rain and the salt content in the water. One thing to watch out for there is barnacles. I have set the hook only to feel a pull then nothing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts