Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I switched from the 100 gr. 3 blade Muzzy to the mechanical opening NAP Spitfire. Tuesday eve, I shot a nice 8 point, with a 20" spread, @ 20 yards from 15' up. A buck I had been waiting on for some time now. Bad move on his part, he finally made the mistake. But anyway, entrance on the left side behind the shoulder the broad head clipped 1 rib. Exit on the far side, it center punched a rib and cut it completly in half. The arrow was hanging out the far side by the fletchings, after he took 2 bounds the arrow fell free. Buck went about 60 yards and piled up. I was amazed at the hole in cut on the exit side, I believe it must have pushed some rib bone thru with it. Although I won't use those blades over, they looked no worse than a new set of blades, none bent or damaged. They fly like a target tip also. I was very impressed with it's performance. Any of you guys use them, pro's or con's. T.

·
Registered
861 Posts
That's all I use with my crossbow. Last doe I killed was at 40yds - hit her high because I misjudged the distance a little - almost cut her spine in half. She never left the spot where I hit her - was totally paralyzed except for head and one front leg.
I like the fact that you can change out the blades for the practice weights and there aren't any "o"-rings to mess with.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've been using them since they came out switching from thunderhead fixed blades. I have had several pass throughs and then some that didn't and the deer broke them off inside the chest cavity. They always cause devastating damage internally but the last buck I shot he broke the last 10 inches or so of the arrow off which blocked the exit hole so he bled good for the first 30-40 yards but then there was very little blood for the last 50-60 yards and this deer did every loop to loop there ever was making him a real pain to blood trail in the dark but of course he was dead as a hammer when I found him. It should be noted though that I was really high up in the tree so the downward angle was extreme which I've found causes some pass through problems. I've actually started hanging my stands lower with no increase in getting busted by deer thanks to scent lock clothing.

Anyway, I love them. I'm shooting a mathews at 70lbs with an overdraw and a 27" arrow which is really hauling a$$.

The first deer I ever shot with one was 35 yards away and it was a clean pass through. The deer bucked on the impact, ran about 10 feet, stopped, then resumed eating acorns for a minute or two, then took off like a bat out of hell and ran into a tree 30 yards away and fell stone dead. Wierdest thing I've ever seen. It blew 2 ribs out the other side.

Definately don't reuse the blades though as they are too dull after shooting a deer to be able to cut like they should even if they look undamaged.

My brother started using them too after he saw a few of my deer and the damage done by them.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I use them. Devastating power that flies true... I switched from a 3 blade muzzy too... small world.
I shot a doe early this season the from the ground.. pass through that left a compound fracture in the exit shoulder right at the joint to the front leg... She jumped straight up in the air, ran maybe 30yds, and fell like wet rag. I shoot a Fred Bear, 65lb draw.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ll join the switched from the 3 blade Muzzy club (100gr also). I’ve shot two with them. The first was an 8point 15yds shooting almost straight down the way the hill went. Hit him high on the chest going thru a rib and exited thru the breast plate. He dropped at the shot and push the arrow back up in. He went 35yds and piled up. The arrow pulled out in some grape vines after 20yds. Lungs were goo and the heart was cut in half and not attached. That broad head was bent and the insert broke thru the side of the carbon shaft. The second a big 7 point 15yds slightly quartering to I thought I hit to far back but I hit 1 lung the liver and exited the opposite side on the diaphragm. Blood trail doesn’t describe it he went 50yds circle and went down. That arrow and broad head look good. But I agree with TAILWALKER. Deer deserve new. I’ll save that combo for my squirrel arrow.

Walt

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've taken about a dozen deer with them and love them. It's all about shot placement. You put them where they're supposed to be and they're absolutely devastating.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I personally have never used them. I shoot 100gr. thunderheads. I have heard both good and bad things about them. A buddy of mine has had his malfunction twice by not opening up, of course that was many years ago when they first came out. It may have been a random fluke but I swore I would never use them. However, some the replies to your post may make me think again. I would echo that shot placement is key no matter what you are using. Congrats on the buck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm a switcher this year too....from Muzzys.

Great big holes and very good blood trails are what I found with the Spits. Just take good shots and make sure that you have the ke to get the 1 1/2 inch mech to pass thru (or close to it).;)

Mitch

·
Registered
365 Posts
I like them too but try the new heads from Rage the three blade is the best head I have ever shot. You can shoot right through the shoulder and they go all the way through. I couldn't beleive the first one I shot the entrence hole was as big or bigger than the exit. They have a cut on impact tip and the blades come our of the back there for no deflection of angle shots. They are the best thing out there right now. Try them you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
GARBAGE!!! I went back to the fixed blade heads because of a 12 yard quatering away shot that ran down the side of the deer. Only putting a 6 inch gash down the side. That was enough for me! If you are looking for awesome fixed blade performance with a decent cutting diameter that flies like a field point, look at the 85 grain Sonic Head.

Croakers give me your address and I will mail them to you. They are 85 grain with some replacement blades. If you do not want them then I am going to put them where they belong, in the TRASH!!!

www.americanbroadhead.com

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Man hard to beat fixed head thunderheads 100 grain... tried and true.. Be sure your fletchings and blades are lined up right shoot a drop away rest and their is no difference in shooting from a field tip. 75 pound Hoyt Tykron

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've shot Spitfires and just have more confidence in either Thunderheads or Muzzys. Both work just fine with a good hit but I seem to get better penetration with the Thunderheads. I've had the arrow hang at the fletching with a Spitfire. They do cut a wound channel, though.
Mark

·
Registered
93 Posts
Shot placement is all that matters! A quatering away shot is the best shot you can have on a whitetail, right? So if a mechanical head hits on the slighest angle what is going to happen? So you mean to tell me if this happens to you, how would you think to correct the problem. You can't! You got to pray to God that the deer is dumb enough to let you get another shot at it and where I live those big bucks don't! Stickin Em they are a 1" cutting diameter that doesn't even matter if the deer is shot where it is supposed to be a field point could do the job. So you keep on shooting that junk that you are shooting and give me your address and I will send these NAP (junk) to you. So when are we going squirrel hunting?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I meant not to open a whole can of worms here, but I see alot of guys use them with complete sucess. I personally won't take a shot past 30 yards, and also won't take any angle shot at all. He'll be broadside or not at all for me. I'm retired and have plenty of time to hunt, on private property so I can afford to be choosie. I passed this buck twice in black powder season and once during shotgun season, cause I wanted to do him with the bow. I'm in shotgun only area up here in Frederick County. I saw him a couple of times during early bow, either out of my personal range or just a plain iffy shot. When he came in Tuesday night, I was actually surprized that he made it thru all the blam, blam, blam that I heard during shotgun season. Deer running on 3 legs, ears shot off, etc., makes me sick. I took a cripple doe for meat during shotgun. Thanks for the offer to mail them to me, but I have a good supply. And as I said in the first post, I'd NEVER use the blades again on another deer, that one goes into the practice tip bin for shooting foam targets. Good hunting all, T.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Been using the 100 gr for years, since they came out, and the only issues that I have had are when I didn't do my part, and stick 'em in the ribs. It's the best shot with a bow hands down. Quartering away and aiming for the heart is nice in a peferect world but one flinch, twitch, step, breeze anything and you risk hitting the shoulder=BAD SHOT.

If you use the Spitfires, hit'em in the ribs and they will go down EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only mishaps have been when I shot a deer in the shoulder and couldn't get the penetration that you need.

I accidentally shot a 100# doe in the spine at 42 yards (I said it was a mistake, I misjudge the distance). She dropped in her tracks and I finished wher with a second shot. When I butchered her I had to pull the broadhead out of the spine with a pair of channel locks. I didn't go through, but the spine was severely damaged. That's was with an 8 year old PSE set on 62# with carbon arrows.

Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
I switched a couple of years back and have not had any bad results. The expandables are truly devastating, but you just have to be disciplined enough to not take shots that quarter too bad. I have noted that the new expandables that have a tip that extends well past blades wont deflect nearly as bad or as often.

Dont mean to ruffle any feathers, but personally I prefer the largest cutting diameter possible. I dont particularly like faint bloodtrails, just a personal preference. I have been trying to get some Rages to give them a try. I have heard they are awsome.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well thank you all for your response. I for one will continue to use them as the reports were just about 98% pro. One other guy on this site that did not chime in has killed 15 plus deer with them with zero losses, good enough for me. I'll continue waiting on my broadside shots, right behind the shoulder. Good hunting, T.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts