Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading down to Naples for a long weekend this week. I was thinking about taking my fly rod down with me. Is the wading any good down there this time of year and can anyone give me any pointers as to where to go and what possibly be caught?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
739 Posts
What to be caught, do not know for sure this time of year but I guess Snook, Ladyfish, Jacks, Spanish mackerel and Mangrove Snappers should be present.

I would give Clam pass a go for wading on the outgoing tide.
You can enter the inner lagoons from the beach / inlet.
Do not go beyond the bridge, the inner bay down there has a muck bottom where you might disappear :)

The end of barefoot beach (at Wiggins pass) in Bonita Springs would be something to try as is Lovers Key state park further south. Especially New Pass it that last spot has yielded fish for me.

In Naples itself I would fish the beach early morning at Naples pier and north of there. Watch out for the Snook and passing Jacks. Gordon pass way at the end of Naples beach down south is also a good spot to try.

You can find some pictures of the spots and the fish I have caught at the following location:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~shimanto15/Trips.htm

·
Registered
739 Posts
Gorden pass can be reached by driving south on Gordon drive untill you get to 33ave S which is the last public parking place.
If you have no beach parking permit you will have to feed the meter plenty.
It is a looong walk to Gordon pass.

Clam Pass is a park, the entrance is near the Registry hotel.
A trolley takes people from the carpark to the beach.
A walkway through the mangroves leads to the beach, it is long (better to take the trolley).

Barefoot beach is a bit tricky to find.
To get to the park you will have to drive on Bonita Beach road to the Gulf and take a left just before the road turns parallel to the coast.
First you will have to drive through a gated community so it looks a bit arkward.
You are not allowed to stop on the grounds of that community, at the end of the road you will get the gate house of the park.

Lovers key is located between Bonita Springs and Fort Myers beach, easy to find. Most of the parks close at sunset so you have to be out by then.
Take water, sunscreen and insect repellent with you.
Especially near sunset when there is no wind the swamp angels will come out in force.

Good luck, hope you catch some nice fish down there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marcel,

I appreciate the information. I ended up fishing around Wiggins Pass a couple of times due to the proximity to where I was staying. That current sure does rip through the pass during the outgoing tide. I ended up catching a few nice snook in the mangrove area and a bunch of what looked like spanish mackeral in the rips at the mouth of the pass. I didn't have a camera with me so I have no pics to share, sorry about that.

Ed[excited]

·
Registered
739 Posts
Good to hear that you have found the fish.
If you where heading near the mangroves you must have been
fishing in the state park at the south end of the pass.
That spot has yielded snook for me also.
I did not like the spot that much because there always where lots
of pedastrians moving on that little stretch of the beach.

The other side (north) is barefoot beach park operated by the county. There is a long stretch to fish there and the sandbar at the pass has some very interesting channels to fish.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You aren't kidding about the pedestrians. I had people walk right up behind me not even paying attention. I had to ask one lady to move so that she wouldn't get hit with my back cast. They wouldn't even pay attention. I am sure if they would hae gottten hit by my big clouser then they would pay attention next time.
I did notice the beach across the way but didn't know how to get over there. At times I would see something killing bate over on that side and it drove me crazy not being over there. I don't know if they were tarpon or not but it was crazy watching the show. It was killing me not being able to get over there.

·
Registered
739 Posts
To bad you could not make it to the other side, I had the same trouble with the pedestrians.
Most of those folks walk to the mangroves, see that the beach ends and then walk back.
During that time you have a great shot at hooking them :)
The other side is much quiter and has better fishing, but beware
of the weekends when the pontoonboat armada invades the sandbar there.

Directions to the park:

Barefoot Beach County Park
From Bonita Beach Road, turn south on Lely Beach Boulevard and drive approximately two miles into the park. Concessions, restrooms, picnic tables, showers and a visitor center are available. For more information, contact Collier County Parks and Recreation Department at 941/353-0404.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.