Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I've stood up our annual National Catch-n-Release Live Leaderboard to capture the ongoing action in several divisions for the local area and the nation at large. The Special Angler Open division includes the entire nation for all Special Anglers (both saltwater and freshwater). Please encourage those you know in the special needs community to participate. There is no entry fee. If you have a business interested in providing in-kind prizes to this division, please reach back to me.

Link is here: http://content.fishdispatch.com/Leaderboards/2016NationalCatch-n-ReleaseLeaderboard.html

The JR VMRC division is only for 15 and younger Virginia Anglers (seeded with $75). There is also a Virginia Jr. Special Angler Division seeded with $225 (same as last year). No entry fee for either of these divisions either. Those who complete the six catch-n-release entries, we will gladly forward those results onto to VMRC for their award certificate package signed by the governor of our Commonwealth.

We are toying with a Virginia Open division for all anglers to run just for the summer. Fish Dispatch has an intern working out of Lynchburg that I'm encouraging to manage this division. The cash purse would grow based on 50% of the incoming registrations with the rest going to intern to cover his time for managing the incoming catch-n-release reports. Please respond to this post if this type of tourney would interest you. I'd be interested to just see a few folks compete and see all the different species that you drag in over the summer.

I'd love to see all these divisions increase the ante with business sponsors, so if you have a local business and want to put up some money or other "in-kind" prizes in any of these divisions, please let me know. Your company will take over the sponsorship logo spots you see on the live leaderboard.

Also, one month remains for the early registration for the Queen of the Bay tourney at the $20 price that includes the T-Shirt. Since space is limited on the pier, I'd also suggest you lock in your spot, even if you only plan to come over to Cape Charles to just fish one day of the tourney. There is talk about adding a Calcutta division for the largest shark. That would be interesting. I'd like to see the prize money grow a bit on this.

Joe posts . . .

These pics do not display monster fish, but this tourney is about capturing different species. Hopefully these guys will begin landing some bigger fish, which most folks are more interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
sharks? -- yes, count us in
Please refer to the rules. A shark division is fine, but you can't kill the sharks if you do not plan to eat them. If you do not plan to keep your shark, you must carefully return it to the water un-harmed. The FD-NN crew helping man the tournament will assist anglers with the shark catches ... to quickly weigh them in and return them to the water. Here is the text directly from the overview page of the website:

• Sharks, stingrays, and the like are permitted sub-divisions only for catch and release. Sting Rays may not be brought on the deck of the pier. Our referees will come to you to weigh in the ray.
  • All fish which you do not plan to eat following weigh-in should released promptly (i.e., we promptly return your fish after they are weighed in).

The specific rules can be found on our web page for the specific Cape Charles tourney for which you are referring. Here is the direct link to the rules.

We will start a new thread on the forum to explicitly capture questions the Queen of the Bay Cape Charles tourney. We just solidified a 2nd Queen of the Bay tour stop on August 13. We are very excited to be a part of Capt. Billy's Bay Bash at Ingram Bay Marina in the Northern Neck. The rules are slightly different (an possibly even better), but it follows the spirit of the Queen of the Bay format. The Live Leaderboard for the Bay Bash is already in place and ready to go!!!

FD Social

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also what are you going to do for Military discount?? If you can sweeten the deal me and some buddies I know on base in Norfolk might come fish for a day or two over the weekend.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are the locations of those reports?? Don't hold out on us! LOL
Dave,

I don't intentionally hide locations when we post reports to the leaderboard for this, but you just clued me in that I have forgotten to add the "Registered Anglers" section to the leaderboard. I'll plug that in .. and then all the locations of the anglers will automatically show.

I will tell you that the one dominant Special Angler, Joe Gittinger, is typically fishing off the Cape Charles pier, and his selfies that he sends into the system will show that in the background. Also notice that his "Catch Viewer" shows Cape Charles as his home port. You'll see similar location information in other Catch Viewers.

I saw your other post about adding some military discounts or scholarships to Queen of the Bay. I think Fish Dispatch will address this in a separate thread, but I'll give you my opinion now ... and the same opinion that I express up the chain to FD.

I would like to see some of these defense contractors in the Hampton Roads area step up to the plate for something like this. I don't see why they can't sponsor a special military division with a dedicated cash purse, even if only for $100. We had a defense contractor from the Washington Metro area (Vistronix) sponsor a charter for our 2015 Special Angler National Championship. I think they looked real good by doing this (and may have even helped their recruiting efforts). They ponied up $1,000 ... and this was a really small company compared to the big boys like GD, NG, LM, Raytheon, Newport News Shipbuilding, etc. that are raking in the dough on these defense contracts.

If you work alongside these contractors (assuming you are military), send them my way and I will provide them a sponsorship flyer they can take back to their marketing departments ... heck, if these guys just blink, they bill the Govt. $100, but I know the bureaucracy in getting a sponsorship deal for a mere $100 will cost them about $10K in paperwork ... which the Govt. still pays via overhead rates.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also what are you going to do for Military discount?? If you can sweeten the deal me and some buddies I know on base in Norfolk might come fish for a day or two over the weekend.
DaveJones,

We updated the website under the Cape Charles QOB page with this text for the Prizes section:

Cash Purse, Trophies, and Prizes
The guaranteed cash purse at the time of this posting stands at $1,100. As we continue to receive online registrations and additional sponsorship, we plan to grow the purse. 1st place trophies will be awarded in each species subdivision (i.e., 20 in all). We also have "in kind" prizes from Shanties ($25 certificate), Moonrise Jewelry ($20), Kelly's Gingernet Pub ($25), Dicks Sporting Goods Store (rod reel combos). We are seeking sponsorship to fund a cash purse for an active military division ($100 minimum).

Hopefully that will garner some attention, but we don't have to rely strictly on defense contractors to step forward to put a little $$ towards a military division purse. Private citizens can pitch in, and we can collect a cash Calcutta right at the tournament for this. We think it would be a great way to say thanks to these guys and gals, but we need to hear back from folks who would want to donate towards this. We noticed this thread has 807 views and not one person has chimed in wanting to be a part or support this. Joe also made a post to the Military Appreciation Day thread via a similar theme. Again, no response. It could be that most folks on the forum from the Hamptons Road region are active military. We think if this tournament were held outside a such a dense military area, you'd probably see a larger response.

If we see a large early registration response, then we can also do this without taking on any sponsorship for it. We'll know more by the end of the early registration period that ends June 30th.

FD Social

·
Registered
9 Posts
DaveJones,

We updated the website under the Cape Charles QOB page with this text for the Prizes section:

Cash Purse, Trophies, and Prizes
The guaranteed cash purse at the time of this posting stands at $1,100. As we continue to receive online registrations and additional sponsorship, we plan to grow the purse. 1st place trophies will be awarded in each species subdivision (i.e., 20 in all). We also have "in kind" prizes from Shanties ($25 certificate), Moonrise Jewelry ($20), Kelly's Gingernet Pub ($25), Dicks Sporting Goods Store (rod reel combos). We are seeking sponsorship to fund a cash purse for an active military division ($100 minimum).

Hopefully that will garner some attention, but we don't have to rely strictly on defense contractors to step forward to put a little $$ towards a military division purse. Private citizens can pitch in, and we can collect a cash Calcutta right at the tournament for this. We think it would be a great way to say thanks to these guys and gals, but we need to hear back from folks who would want to donate towards this. We noticed this thread has 807 views and not one person has chimed in wanting to be a part or support this. Joe also made a post to the Military Appreciation Day thread via a similar theme. Again, no response. It could be that most folks on the forum from the Hamptons Road region are active military. We think if this tournament were held outside a such a dense military area, you'd probably see a larger response.

If we see a large early registration response, then we can also do this without taking on any sponsorship for it. We'll know more by the end of the early registration period that ends June 30th.

FD Social
That sounds great, hopefully someone will step up and contribute...
What is the registration at now? It's gotta be more than 50 by now right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
That sounds great, hopefully someone will step up and contribute...
What is the registration at now? It's gotta be more than 50 by now right?
Yep, about right. If those registration numbers hold, there will be quite a bit of wealth (from the prize money we are backing and the other donated prizes) to share with just those few anglers. Although Joe can spread quite a few more anglers over the course of four days on the pier, he is limited to about 250 at any one time.

From Joe's perspective (our guy on the ground to run the tourney), the current count is great if it doesn't grow beyond that. Serving 50 anglers will be very easy for his crew of volunteers to manage and not turn folks away. We really don't want to see them over crowd the pier. He and the Town of Cape Charles appear to be committed to enforcing the billeted count of anglers allowed on the pier.

FD Social

1 - 10 of 10 Posts