Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the NOAA website https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/ it states:
NEW FOR 2011
"Starting January 1, 2011, if you have a saltwater recreational fishing license or registration from any state or U.S. territory EXCEPT Hawaii, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, you are AUTOMATICALLY registered and do not need to take further action. The fee for registering beginning January 1, 2011 is $15 for most people. Learn more.
Please be sure to follow all laws and regulations in the waters in which you are fishing."

My question is do my friends/family that fish with me on my boat (under my boat's fishing license) still need to register/pay for the 2011 season?
Or will my boat's fishing license cover all guests fishing on my boat this year and no registration with NSAR is needed?

I cant find anything on DNR's website.

Comments/answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,
Jim

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one that was confused by that - thanks for link.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Harlan,

Your guests still have to register - for FREE - on MD site. Online registration allows you to print out a temp registration.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
That's good news. I though everyone still had to pay $15 even though you had the MD boat liscense.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If you buy the $50 boat license, you give me (DNR Licensed Agent) your 10 digit phone #. MD DNR will forward your info to the Feds. No further action for you.

Your guests (over 16 years of age) need to register with MD DNR....free online ONLY.

If they have the $15 (now known as BAY and COASTAL license) they give me the phone #...no further action needed.

I have called DNR...seems if you do not register online (you do not have a computer), you can call, but you will be charged $15 extra bucks to register with the Feds.

I was told "the people that do not have access to a computer" should go to the public library and register or be charged extra.

I am still looking into this, as I know I have many customers that do not have computers, don't know how to turn one on, etc. The 2011 Reg book has NO PHONE # for these guys/gals.

Jim

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
If you buy the $50 boat license, you give me (DNR Licensed Agent) your 10 digit phone #. MD DNR will forward your info to the Feds. No further action for you.

Your guests (over 16 years of age) need to register with MD DNR....free online ONLY.

If they have the $15 (now known as BAY and COASTAL license) they give me the phone #...no further action needed.

I have called DNR...seems if you do not register online (you do not have a computer), you can call, but you will be charged $15 extra bucks to register with the Feds.

I was told "the people that do not have access to a computer" should go to the public library and register or be charged extra.

I am still looking into this, as I know I have many customers that do not have computers, don't know how to turn one on, etc. The 2011 Reg book has NO PHONE # for these guys/gals.

Jim
Jim,

I want to clarify who is charging the $15 to register MD anglers. I have not talked to anyone in MD DNR about this, but my understanding is that the ONLY fishermen that would have to pay the $15 to the Federal Govt. to register are fishermen in NJ and in the other areas listed on the countmyfish website.

If there is any fee charged in MD to register with MD for any reason, such as registering some way besides online, that would be a fee MD is charging (possibly as an administrative fee), rather than a fee paid by individual MD fishermen to the Feds.

If what you state in your post is the "policy" in MD, it should be posted on a website or somewhere else in writing.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Jim,

I want to clarify who is charging the $15 to register MD anglers. I have not talked to anyone in MD DNR about this, but my understanding is that the ONLY fishermen that would have to pay the $15 to the Federal Govt. to register are fishermen in NJ and in the other areas listed on the countmyfish website.

If there is any fee charged in MD to register with MD for any reason, such as registering some way besides online, that would be a fee MD is charging (possibly as an administrative fee), rather than a fee paid by individual MD fishermen to the Feds.

If what you state in your post is the "policy" in MD, it should be posted on a website or somewhere else in writing.
Steve,
I was told if you called the phone number from last year's Reg book, you would be charged $15 by the Feds.

I guess that I should have been clearer in my post. I am confused too. There should be (besides the website) a phone number that people can use to register "free" with the State. I have not been able to locate one in the Reg book or website. There are people that may not have or know how to use a computer.

Maybe one of our DNR guys that frequent TF can help clear this up.

Jim

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
also I have guest from the family fron Conn. and Mass. that fish what are they required to do Jim?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts