Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about finally pulling the trigger on getting a kayak. I had the opportunity to demo the Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 and Ultimate 14 solo this morning. Like both yaks. Liked the weight of the 12 as well as the maneuverability. The 14 obviously had more storage and seemed a bit more stable especially if I wanted to stand. Would use it about 40% on a lake, 40% on rivers like the S. Fork of the Doah and about 20% in some shallow waters of the bay. Has any one used the Ultimate in rivers? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. I would be primarily fly fishing as well. Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
34 Posts
From my very limited experience w/ an Ultimate 12 I found it to be a bear to paddle if going any distance. I was very interested in trying one of these, "stable casting platform, light weight, etc. Just found it to be unwieldy, even only going a mile. I use a 12' Pungo Classic and it paddles like a dream in comparison. I would recommend you try several other rigs prior to pulling the trigger on this one.

Dennyo

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I fished with kayak fishing guide Cory Routh in Virginia Beach two times. On the second trip, we had 3 anglers, and we switched boats periodically. On the first day, I was in a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 14 (the same kayak that I own). The seating is very comfortable. On the second day, I paddled an Ultimate (I don't recall the length). For my back and butt size and shape, the seat in the Ultimate was not nearly as comfortable. I don't recall how it paddled -- but I did not like it as well as the Manta Ray or even my Ocean Kayak Drifter.

I second the advice that Dennyo offered -- try several different kayaks on the water before making your decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response / advice. I did end up buying the Ultimate 12 and so far I love it. I will keep you posted though if my opinion changes. Thanks again.

Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have Ultimate 12 bought in 2009, and love it! Got in mainly for fishing, so not in a rush. Yeah, not as swift as conventional kayaks, but if you're looking for comfort and stability in a 12', there is no comparison. Can't imagine any butt shape not lovin' that seat. You can go all day, like sitting in a lounge chair. I should know- at 61 years and herniated disk it's never a problem. You will find others envying you. My 27 year old son has a decent kayak with a conventional seat and needs to rest his back twice as often as I do.

Yeah, the 14' would sure be better for standing, but not nimble enough to try that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've had an Ultimate 14 Tandem for about two years now. It will never be a Tarpon, but to me (6'4", 215) it is comfortable and not too tough to paddle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have an ultimate 12 and love it. I love the seat, stability, and lightness of the boat. It's not a fast ad my trident 13, but it definitely had its strengths too.

Pics of how I have them rigged up are on my blog - smallwater.wordpress.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for all the info. I installed two flush rod holders, a fly rod holder and an anchor trolley this weekend. I am going to install an anchor cleat as well but have yet to decide where would be the best location. Loving it so far and have caught some nice large mouth and smallies. Hopefully heading to the S. Fork of the Doah next week. I tried to upload a photo. Hopefully it comes out.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts