Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i turn my nav light on "all" the breaker pops.
This just started.
I have a rocker switch 3 way position. on anchor, off, on all.
There is a breaker on the panel directly below the switch.
Turning the anchor is ok.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Ciruit Breaker Popps

I would recommend that you first try removing one light bulb at a time, i.e. Starboard then the Port running, to see if you can determine which circuit is causing the problem. That way you might be able to determine which circuit focus on.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
More like a dead short to ground --- that or a too heavy load on the circuit is what pops the breaker! Given that it happens instanly, I go with short! Could be the switch itslef.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Add this to the above.
Move the load(wire on the suspect breaker) to another same size breaker. Remove the wire from the test breaker and put the moved wire on it. Just to verify the original breaker hasn't gotten weak. Be sure to return everything to their original places.

After that is proven, try to find a shorted wire. Have a ohm meter attached to the load wire loose from the switch -- watch the meter as you follow the wire to the lights. When the ohms reading changes, look for bare insulation or other ways to ground near where you are moving/shaking the wires.

Just a suggestion, often it is more logical to use the old wires to pull in new wire. Cost is minimal, it's quicker, easier and at least you have more confidence that your wiring is in good shape.:thumbup:
budc

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Remove the cover from the red and green lights.I'm betting saltwater got in there and corroded everything to the point it is shorting out.

If not there- next check anywhere the wires go through the deck/bulkhead.They might have chafed through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts