Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look like they are at least hearing our voices, will change come????

Received this response same day I sent email to members of the Fishery Commission.

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

I am writing in response to your e-mail regarding striped bass.

The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries is investigating reports of numerous dead striped bass floating in the ocean waters in northern Dare County areas.

The estimates of the numbers of dead fish have ranged from in the hundreds to in the thousands. The division is trying to determine the actual extent and cause of this event. However, the fish appear to be discards from fishing activity.

There was extensive commercial and recreational striped bass fishing in these waters over the holiday weekend. Both commercial and recreational fisheries have had issues with discards of striped bass in the past. However, this is the first time in several years that striped bass have migrated this close to the shore.

The commercial striped bass trawl fishery is scheduled to close at 6 p.m. Thursday. The division will evaluate the effort and landings in this fishery to determine if quota remains and if the fishery should reopen. The division will also consider if alternative management measures could be used to prevent future discard mortality.

Patricia Smith
Public Information Officer
NC Division of Marine Fisheries

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
hmmmmm here is my leter.

I am writing in response to your e-mail regarding striped bass.

The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries is investigating reports of numerous dead striped bass floating in the ocean waters in northern Dare County areas.

The estimates of the numbers of dead fish have ranged from in the hundreds to in the thousands. The division is trying to determine the actual extent and cause of this event. However, the fish appear to be discards from fishing activity.

There was extensive commercial and recreational striped bass fishing in these waters over the holiday weekend. Both commercial and recreational fisheries have had issues with discards of striped bass in the past. However, this is the first time in several years that striped bass have migrated this close to the shore.

The commercial striped bass trawl fishery is scheduled to close at 6 p.m. Thursday. The division will evaluate the effort and landings in this fishery to determine if quota remains and if the fishery should reopen. The division will also consider if alternative management measures could be used to prevent future discard mortality.

Patricia Smith

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
As usual, it will a after-the-fact brush-under-the-rug response. Let's face it, the commercial fishermen and processing houses decide what can and what cannot be done in North Carolina. This is nothing new.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Patricia Smith quote - "Both commercial and recreational fisheries have had issues with discards of striped bass in the past. However, this is the first time in several years that striped bass have migrated this close to the shore."

Patricia and anyone else... sentence one is B.S. and sentence #2 is B.S. the few recreational fishermen who throw them over is little to miniscule to none and usually due to deterrence or interdiction measures. and for the migration route - gee I wonder if that was from a form letter or something her boss told her to say complete b.s. Ms Patricia and wholly state of North Carolina. At least I know what my funds I paid N.C. for my license are going for... form letters and smoke & mirrors. whew. that is how I feel!!!

They probably feel their quick response will stifle most and make them go away. government at it's best.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I spoke with someone today that works with NC Marine Fisheries and was told that many people are hearing our comments. He has been getting calls all day long so maybe something will really happen. I for one, will not give up on this.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I got the identical letter; but I sent another letter...

Tricia: Thank you for the quick response; your letter is politically
correct that you lack the facts. However, everyone fishing the lasts few
days, including the NC commercial trawlers, that the window that was given
to the trawler captains to pursue a directed fishery on migrating , pre spawn
stripedbass and the use of hy=grading is totally irresponsible. The penalty
shoud be levied against the NC ocean trawl fishery and that fishery should not
be allocated any of the NMFS/NC commercial allocation in future years. Give
the allocation to nc hook and line commercial and NC gill net fishery which may
not be so guilty of this abuse against nature as has happened this past few
days.
>
> The entire North East fishing community will be adversly effected by the poor
decisions made by NCMRF; for the last several years, other states have been
working to remove the cause of friction between recreational and commercial salt
water anglers.
>
> This decision to allow trawlers to get in among the hundreds of recreational
anglers off NC will set this effort back in all states.
>
> All recreational fishing clubs, Directors of Fisheries in many NE states,
national fishing organizations have already seen the videos, photos and are
prepared to confront the issue at the next meeting of the Atlantic States Marine
Fisheries Commission.
>
> Again, Thank you for responding.
>
> Dr. Robert B Allen
> 1038 Port Harb our Arch
> Hampton Va 23664
>
> ---- "Smith wrote:
> > I am writing in response to your e-mail regarding striped bass.
> >
> > The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries is investigating reports of numerous
dead striped bass floating in the ocean waters in northern Dare County areas.
> >
> > The estimates of the numbers of dead fish have ranged from in the hundreds
to in the thousands. The division is trying to determine the actual extent and
cause of this event. However, the fish appear to be discards from fishing
activity.
> >
> > There was extensive commercial and recreational striped bass fishing in
these waters over the holiday weekend. Both commercial and recreational
fisheries have had issues with discards of striped bass in the past. However,
this is the first time in several years that striped bass have migrated this
close to the shore.
> >
> > The commercial striped bass trawl fishery is scheduled to close at 6 p.m.
Thursday. The division will evaluate the effort and landings in this fishery to
determine if quota remains and if the fishery should reopen. The division will
also consider if alternative management measures could be used to prevent future
discard mortality.
> >
> > Patricia Smith
> >
> >
> >

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Is there a web site for the NC Division of Marine Fisheries where we could comment on this disaster off their coast? If so, please someone, post it!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Both commercial and RECREATIONAL contribute to discards of fish WTF are the burning. The first time the fish have migrated that close to shore. I am lost for words. Sick to my stomach. When we first pulled up to the area some farq wad commercial guy from wanchese just about hit my boat to try and get a fish that was beside my boat. He yelled at us...You guys use your poles let us get our fish. We told him to fk off !! His fish that his buddy probably tossed over. His fish? What an @sshole! I let him get his fish but made him work to get it comn very close to my junk.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got the same e-mail from Mrs. P. Smith, I'm working on another e-mail now. I also sent one to Del Lewis in Richmond.
Way to GO Mr. Stokes for getting this on Air WTKR news 3

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Sad indeed! Some of the commercial fish wholesalers in the Manteo/Wanchese have a reputation for turning a blind eye to the regulations. I will put a letter together and see what they say.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
785 Posts
I really like this line from Patricia Smith- "however, this is the first time in several years that stripers have migrated this close to shore." So she's saying normally the trawlers are working outside the recreational fleet where there are no witnesses to their fishing practices. What a terrible inconvienience it must be for NC to have so many whistleblowers around this year. Dave

·
Registered
355 Posts
I picked up on that comment, too. Sounds like their Public Information Officer is not very knowledgable on the yearly winter fishery along their own coast. Somebody needs to get out more often and understand what really goes on, but then they would have to report the facts instead of getting their information second hand.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here's the e-mail I sent out today.
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Mrs. Smith, Thank you for responding so quickly to my e-mail. The entire East Coast fishing communities will be effected by this poor
decision made by The Division of Fisheries.

The decision to allow trawlers to pull a net for hours and only keep 50 of their largest fish and discard the rest over board to die is absolutely crazy. Whom ever allowed this to happen should be suspended immediately.

Are you saying that because the fish are so close to shore (inside the three mile line) that this was allowed for the trawlers to catch these fish. If so how come the recreational fishermen and fisher-women didn't get a proclamation so we can share the benefit?

Both commercial and recreational fisheries have had issues with discards of striped bass in the past? As for a recreational fisherman to discard a fish back over board it's because 1-released, 2-didn't meet the required length, it surly wouldn't turn belly up and be left to die.

The division is trying to determine the actual extent and cause of this event? We all know what the cause was.

The fish appear to be discards from fishing activity? Yes from the Trawlers.

The commercial striped bass trawl fishery is scheduled to close at 6 p.m. Thursday? Shouldn't had been opened in the first place!

The division will evaluate the effort and landings in this fishery to determine if quota remains and if the fishery should reopen. Evaluate? Hope the pictures and video are on the table at this meeting!

The division will also consider if alternative management measures could be used to prevent future discard mortality. Alternative management measures? How about Management go on board fishing with these trawlers and see first hand the hundreds of killed dead fish left in the water by these trawlers. And Please Please pass this on to management.

Thank you,
Bryan
A concerned Fisherman from Virginia

Why work when you can Fish!

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
It is excellent that some of you have written letters alerting the NC Division of Marine Fisheries to the deplorable situation brought on by their indefensible striped bass culling rule for NC trawlers. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Patricia Smith, Public Information Officer for the NC Division of Marine Fisheries is obviously a PR person who is shielding the flack from Executive Director Dr. Louis Daniel. It is Daniel who should be held accountable for this crime against nature and wonton waste of a public resource. Lewis Daniel should be referenced in every post and every article written about this striper massacre.<o:p></o:p>
This culling that causes the death of thousands of large stripers each year has been going on for a long time. It is only because this year the trawlers are able to find fish in state waters, where there have been many eyes and ears, the situation is getting any attention. Attempts to describe this other years on this and other recreational fishing forums drew a big yawn, or worse, denial that it was occurring. It will be hard to deny now. Do you think this has not been happening in the EEZ also?<o:p></o:p>
Put the heat on Lewis Daniel where it belongs.<o:p></o:p>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts