Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a clip and past from TheHullTruth but it looks like they heard us.

Overloaded Fishing Net Causes Striped Bass Spill

MOREHEAD CITY – An overloaded fishing net prompted fishermen on a commercial trawler to release thousands of striped bass they caught Saturday off of Bodie Island.

After towing through a school of striped bass, fishermen on the commercial trawler Jamie Lynn found the net was so full it was too heavy to bring onto the boat. In order to retrieve the net, the fishermen had to open it and release the fish, the boat captain said.

The boat captain estimated 3,000 to 4,000 fish were released from the net. Many recreational and commercial fishermen picked up the discarded fish. When Marine Patrol officers arrived on the scene, there were approximately 250 dead fish.

The incident occurred Saturday afternoon.

The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries confirmed the specifics of the event through an eyewitness account and an interview with the boat captain.

Staff with the division is still investigating the incident but has been unable to confirm reports that commercial trawl fishermen were high-grading. High-grading occurs when a fisherman discards a previously-caught, legal-sized fish in order to keep a larger fish within the daily possession limit. While high-grading is not illegal, it is not an ethical fishing practice and the division does not condone it.

For this reason, the division plans to implement management measures designed to limit discard mortality when it reopens the striped bass trawl fishery for three days beginning Monday.

The division will replace the current 50-fish-per-day commercial trip limit, which has been in place for 15 years, with a 2,000-pound-per-day trip limit. To avoid the need to throw back dead fish, commercial fishermen will be allowed to transfer trip limits to other fishing vessels that hold a striped bass ocean fishing permit for the commercial trawl fishery. The transfers must be made in the ocean.

The new regulations will be implemented by a proclamation that will be released Friday.

The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission will review these actions at its Feb. 11 meeting in Pine Knoll Shores.

The division opens and closes North Carolina’s commercial ocean striped bass fishery and sets trip limits under a quota system set out in the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Fishery Management Plan for Atlantic Striped Bass. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission is a compact of 15 East Coast states that manages migratory fish in state waters (within three miles from shore).

--More—

North Carolina’s share of the coast-wide commercial ocean striped bass annual quota is 480,480 pounds. It is split evenly between three commercial fisheries: the trawl fishery, the gill net fishery and the beach seine fishery. Approximately 110,000 pounds remains of the 160,160-pound quota for the trawl fishery this year. This is the first time in several years that N.C. commercial fishermen have come close to catching their quota.

Discards are a part of all fisheries, and the division strives to implement measures that minimize waste in all the fisheries it manages.

According to a 2010 Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission report, coast-wide commercial landings of striped bass in 2008 totaled more than a million fish; commercial discards were estimated at 395,400 fish. Coast-wide recreational landings in 2008 totaled more than 2 million fish. Recreational discards were estimated at more than a million fish.

Estimated discards are factored into stock assessments, and the most recent stock assessment for striped bass found that the species is healthy.

It is incumbent upon all fishermen – commercial and recreational – to use common sense in the way they fish. Commercial trawl fishermen should limit their tow times to avoid overburdened nets. Recreational fishermen should practice ethical angling techniques. Fishing responsibly today will help ensure there will be fish in the future.

###

Cheryl Gilgo
Public Affairs Assistant
252-808-8137

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I love the implication that all the floating stripers that have been see in recent days came from one boat and one incident. The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries officials continue to think that rec fishermen do not know what is going on. noidea

·
Registered
943 Posts
Excellent!!

I'm happy quick action was taken

Although; id like to see the data that supports , these numbers
"According to a 2010 Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission report, coast-wide commercial landings of striped bass in 2008 totaled more than a million fish; commercial discards were estimated at 395,400 fish. Coast-wide recreational landings in 2008 totaled more than 2 million fish. Recreational discards were estimated at more than a million fish."

thanks for the info

PS does anyone have a picture of the Trawler, actually dumping the Net?
Les

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fishtales,
That was me that saw the trawler culling the fish. Hopefully the new proclamation will help but I still think more needs to be done..... We all just need to be vocal when we see things like this happen...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Cheryl Gilgo
Public Affairs Assistant - AKA Spin Doctor.

I love how their investigation terminates with the word of one commercial captain. Lots of other BS in the article like trying to make it seem that rec fisherman actually kill more fish than the commercials. By their numbers the recs discard more fish than the commercials. Of course, what they don't say is that most rec "discards" are catch and release that are put back alive and kicking, the commercials have left them floating dead in the thousands day after day.

Still, it's a start.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow....that's pretty interesting. I guess the travisty that only happened on Sat. magically happened Sun. also while I was down there fishing watching the whole thing unfold. They really kill me....let's cover up what we did as quick as we can, it'll. all blow over. IT'S. BULL$HIT AND THEY KNOW IT.

Red Eye

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I would not cheer too loudly.

If I am reading this correctly, a trawler now can possess an infinite number of stripers in the ocean weighing unlimited pounds, as long as a transfer takes place before they leave the ocean. A trawler could have a huge haul and then stay outside the inlet and off load 2000 pounds of stripers to every licensed trawler in the fleet. It is good the waste issue has been addressed. This seems as a tremendous coup for the trawlers. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fishtales,
Myself and many others here and other sites have called and left messages on the Wildlife's website. We just have to keep the press on. Carolina has some of the worst fishing regulations on the East Coast....Ever try catching a legal size flounder................

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was there first hand Friday Saturday and Sunday there were hundreds of 30lb plus fish everywhere and the netters were throwing the fish over
and just keeping the 50lb ones it was the stupidest thing I ever seen we tried to revied several but was unable to do so
they need to do something real quick hope they do never seen something so sorry in all my life of fishing

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you contact NCDMF,you might want to ask them how did one trawler loose fish Saturday & Sunday in five different places from Nags Head to Kitty Hawk. Check the reports, fisherman saw floaters both days.
2.By their reports, Saturday, one trawler lost 3000-4000 fish. We'll split that and say 3500 fish floating. NC Marine Fisheries saw only 250, that leaves 3250 that vanished. We'll say each boat out had 4 guys per boat gaffing or netting fish. That means 406 boats didnt catch any fish that day. PLEASE, we dont have water on the brain, just fish.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Imagine what goes on under the cover of darkness.The trawlers and the people down there who make the rules are in bed together.I'm sure they think this latest ploy will shut everyone up while the trawlers are laughing their ass off.I'm not sure if the feds could get involved but that would be our best bet to stop this good ole boy network down there.The local and state officials will not do anything meaningful if it punishes their buddies and hurts their bottom line.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
This is bullsh$t !!!!!!!!! Now a trawler can transfer an unlimited amount of fish to as many boats as it likes say good by to all the conservation efforts over the last decade. The fleet of trawlers down there will increase 100 fold. [email protected]#$$%^^&&* oh yeah don't forget it took 15 years to change the old policy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts