Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

My whole family is going to Nags Head for a week in August, and I thought this would be a great oppertunity to get offshore with a pro and catch my first big gamefish:yes:

My question to you fellow fisherman....

Who should I charter with? Does anyone have any recomendations? I assume I have plenty of time to make the reservation since we will not be there until the middle of August.

Thanks for any and all help!

Gus

·
Registered
824 Posts
Gus,

You'll be going out of OI, I assume? There are alot of good captains there. We have been happy with Benji Stansky on the SeaNote. Nice large comfortable fast boat.

If you want to head all the way to Hatteras, Chaser out of Odens Dock has given us the best days we have had offshore.

Mike

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have fished on the Sea Toy with Capt Bull Tolson out of Pirates Cove and I promise you won't be disappointed. Capt Bull is a great guy to fish with and the boat is remarkable. Check out the web site and look at the boat. Twin 1500 HP Cats with a top speed of 50mph :eek2:. Not bad for a 60' boat.

Seatoy Offshore Fishing

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike...

I figure OI will be easier to get to in the morning (shorter drive). I will look them up. Happy New Year by the way!!

Thanks again,

Gus

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've always been a fan of Dick Harris on the Fintastic out of Oregon Inlet. Good captain and a unique boat (one of the last of Omie Tillett's Sportsman hulls). Been fishing with him every year in June for 12 years.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Check out Phideaux out of OI, brothers captain and mate. Grat guys, will teach you things and let you do as much as you want. Out of Hatteras , consider Carolina Girl. I fished with them both multiple times over the years and have nothing but good things to say.

BTW Phideaux tends to fill up early as they have quite the following.

Jim

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out Phideaux out of OI, brothers captain and mate. Grat guys, will teach you things and let you do as much as you want. Out of Hatteras , consider Carolina Girl. I fished with them both multiple times over the years and have nothing but good things to say.

BTW Phideaux tends to fill up early as they have quite the following.

Jim
I will check them out. I took a quick look at their website and they both graduated from East Carolina U. I graduated from ECU in 2003.

Thanks,

For the tip on these guys:thumbup:

·
Registered
384 Posts
:nono:I have fished out of OI multiple times, and I would suggest the Make up charter route, as you have a better chance at a good day to select your trip as opposed to deciding in advance. In this economy I don't think it will be tough to find a charter

Now as far as Captains, and Boats...I have a very bad story.

The reason I am aware of Tidal Fish is because back in 2002, I was on a fishing trip out of OI that had been told on this website.

Our Captain was Benji Stansky aboard the SeaNote, well we caught fish (mahi-mahi), and towards the end of day, we hook into a HUGE Blue Fin (499lbs, 95 inches).
It takes a long time to bring it in 3+ hours, Captain does a decent job at getting the fish in.

We land it, and bring it back to the dock, the newspaper is there along with 100+ people, they do the big weigh in and photo op. Then all the excitment ends, the crowd thins out and the fish gets put into a giant cooler, and Benji pulls us aside and says "you don't want this fish" " you wouldn't know what to do with it" and "i am keeping it, because legally you can't, without a permit". We asked for a few steaks from it, and his reply was, "it won't taste any good"

The fish is gone, and the Captain (Benji) kept it. I have great memories of catching it, with plenty of video.

But I caution you on this Captain. Again I have Chartered at least a dozen trips and have never had this happen before or since (even in Mexico).

Benji came on this site back in 2002 to respond and said we were all drunk.

I highly recommend OI, but I will forever tell anyone who fishes OI, not to use
Benji Stansky or the SeaNote.

It pisses me off to this day.........:nono:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Pointe Runner or Skiligal

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sea Note

I fished on the seanote...captain never even said hello...the 1st mate was nice but we caught nothing and he ran the boat onto a sand bar coming in. what a pro ?? I would never book that captain again...just my 2cents

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Call Jim on the Marlin Mania out of Teachs Lair. Classic laid back guy, fair rates and always catches fish.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If Oregon Inlet -

Captain Brynner Parks
Smoker Sportfishing
Smoker Sportfishing Outer Banks North Carolina Oregon Inlet Fishing Charters

If farther south and you want to leave from Hatteras

Captain Dave Willson
Godspeed Charters
Outer Banks Deep-Sea Fishing with Godspeed Charters | Outer Banks Fishing Info

I have been with both multiple times. Both Captains work hard and will put you on the fish. The Smoker is an AMAZING boat. Captain Dave - once you get your fill of trolling, he will pull it all up and take you deep dropping for tiles and grouper.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Throphy Hunter or Skilligal.That Time of the year you may want to talk to the captain and ask what to fish for Meat or Billfish.Some may not give you a chioce.The Skirt Chaser Did for us last year we choose to billfish and caught one out of 3 seen.They gave us the Choice bill fish slowed down and the meat fishing pick up.It was our chice.I would recommened them also

·
Registered
502 Posts
I second Dave Wilson out of Hatteras Harbor Marina in Hatteras Village or D.M. Gray on the Native son. Both of these guys grew up fishing in Hatteras as mates then captains and both were mates for Berle Wilson, Daves Dad on the Good Times. You will also save money driving from Nags Head to Hatteras vs. Oregon Inlet. I have fished with all three many times on the Good Times before Berle retired.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Only offshore trip I've had was on the Fight'n'Lady out of OI, Capt Sam is a good guy that found the fish for us. We had a great time.

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
depending on where your house is pirates cove might be closer. nothing wrong with pirates cove but I would fish out of OI regardless of which is closer. I can believe it went this far without the pelican reccomended. Arch Bracher runs the Pelican out of OI. he is the number one in the area. probably one of the best in the world. August could be a really good month for billfish and his brother Pat would be mating for him then. the 2 of them together are one heck of a team. Fish the Pelican not that there is anything wrong with anyone else.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you fish out of Hatteras Harbor use Bite Me. It is a Carolina built 50' boat. Jay the captain is easy to get along with. We did a grandslam in 2006 after cathching about 50 dolphin and seeing an aircraft carrier going to Norfolk
Great day all the nieces and nephews had a good time
Uncle Bob

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've fished out of OI for many years, typically on a make-up as it's myself or a couple of friends. Only boat that I've fished on that I wouldn't do again is the Gal-O-Mine. Didn't care for the Capt's attitude and his treatment of some of the party.

That said, if you are looking for a make-up, it will be easier to get on a boat out of OI than Pirates Cove due to the volume of anglers. This year you could basically pick your own boat when I was there over Labor Day week. Charters were way down. I don't see it being much different next year. The boat I went on hadn't been out in 2 weeks and was grateful for the trip. We caught a limit of dolphin, 1 for 2 on whites, and had a sail and blue up in the baits.

Some boats like the Pelican or Carolinian are often booked that time of year but they all help each other to find fish. If you book the boat then you can ask for a specific type of fishing but they will tell you what your options are. I would watch the OIFC fishing reports for a couple of weeks prior to your trip to see what's biting. When you get there, take a look at the weather reports, pick your day and then go sign up for an open boat or a make up. I've done this for years and it's worked fine (that's in Labor day week). You won't be disappointed.

John

1 - 20 of 37 Posts