Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I am getting ready to put togeather a yellowfin trip from OI or Pirates Cove sometime in May.
Do you guys have a favorite Capt/ Boat?
Anyone have a recommendation?
I am not interested in Billfish, It seams like a lot of the Captains down there only want to target Marlin.

Thoughts?

Rodger

·
Registered
25 Posts
Capt. Jeff Ross and the Obsession outta Pirates Cove. Been fishing with him for 8 years including Mexico and he won't quit . His mate Jim is the best I've ever had the pleasure to fish with.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Cpt. Bernice Ballance out of Hatteras Harbor if you want to go "the extra mile". I've fished with Cap'n B for 20 years and know he can fill your freezer.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
The Marlin Mania is the best boat out of Hatteras, located at Teach's Lair. We have been fishing with him for a very long time and he is the best.

I also recommend a fellow Tidal Fish Member Kevin Bremmer aboard the Succession. I think his board name is surfperch?

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
166 Posts
Arch Bracher on the Pelican (OI) is very good as is Danny Wadsworth on the Point Runner (OI). BTW...Pirates Cove now charges $150 more a trip than OI, and they reach the fishing grounds about a half hour-45 min. later.

We have fished out of PC for about 10 years now. We decided to go back to OI (Not because of the captains....Jeff Ross, Bull Tolson, Elson Myers, and the like are great captains) simply due to cost and arrival times out on the fishing grounds. We were trying to get in on the bigeye bite ( for years) and it never materialized. The OI boys were killing them and the PC crew caught a couple, but simply got out there too late to be on the bite.

In either case, Hope you find a good crew and tear them up.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I second Jeff Ross/Obsession

Jeff Ross, mate Jim Rickman (VB native), and the boat are all top notch.

Foy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fishing Frenzy out of OI is top notch. Capt Greg Mayer and his mate Dj are blast to fish with and are always in the meat. Been fishing on that boat for 10 years and never had a bad day.

K

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree for the most part - they are all good, but Danny Wadsworth on the Pointrunner is constantly on fish. The boat is also big, fast and beautiful!
T

·
Registered
103 Posts
Arch Bracher on the Pelican (OI) is very good as is Danny Wadsworth on the Point Runner (OI). BTW...Pirates Cove now charges $150 more a trip than OI, and they reach the fishing grounds about a half hour-45 min. later.

We have fished out of PC for about 10 years now. We decided to go back to OI (Not because of the captains....Jeff Ross, Bull Tolson, Elson Myers, and the like are great captains) simply due to cost and arrival times out on the fishing grounds. We were trying to get in on the bigeye bite ( for years) and it never materialized. The OI boys were killing them and the PC crew caught a couple, but simply got out there too late to be on the bite.

In either case, Hope you find a good crew and tear them up.
Tidecruizer, did you tell Jeff, Bull or Elson that, what did they say ???? I have seen a many Bigeye hit the dock at the cove coming off the back of their boats. 10 years.......no bigeyes, WOW, I'd say more like bad luck on your part. :nono:

And by the way, it's the Captains charging the extra money not the Cove, and as far as Bull goes, he could leave way behind everyone else and still get there before they did, as he usually does.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I recommend you take Kevin (Surfperch1) up on his offer. He is an excellent, intense captain and knows how to put you on the YFT bite. I fished with him last fall with a few friends and we had a banner day, limit by 10:30 AM. He lets you get involved as much as you want on his boat too, unlike a lot of 6 packs where you are basically a paying winch. See his posts above and you will notice his charter price is very reasonable. Also, his new boat is pristine and he is very safe on the water.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Capn Tony Tillet on the Carolinian. He is the MAN. One of the original's at OI. Been there forever. Great boat new in 05'. Never been dissapointed. Not much on billfish, but will get you plenty of tuna.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sea Toy

I fish quite a bit out of pirates cove and OI and a day I remember well the bite sucked and everyone was *****ing on the radio. I got a call from the DJ, mate of the Sea Toy and I knew I didn't want to take it, but had to. I think we caught one. They had got thirteen that day when no one else caught sht. The good ones catch them when no one else does. Bull is the man, and DJ was mate of the year out of OI in 2005. Plus the boat is 60+' and cruises to the grounds at 35kts.:cool2: If your going to spend the money, get the total package. The boat is bar none, the nicest charter boat in the outer banks and the captain and mate are world class. Enough said, go book em.

Cmac

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, lots of great recommendations!

I have to get with my friends and pick a date, (I thought I had one, but one of the guys figured out is was Mother's Day weekend, so getting six women to be cool with that may be hard.)
Once I have a target weekend, then I'll see who is available. We are thinking of fishing a Friday. Kevin I'll call you first, I want to support the tidal fish community.

Rodger

·
Registered
678 Posts
I will second, third, or whatever for Kevin on Succession.
He will be my next tuna trip captain. He delivered us one of the most memorable Striper days I have ever had on the water last month. A #1 captain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would suggest Hatteras Blue out of Hatteras Harbor. Capt. Mike Warren has the pioneered the green stick method to a science where baits are attached/breakaway to rods.. He consistently out fishes every boat for tuna in Hatteras. It's awesome to see Tuna jump out of the water after the bait. Check the harbor's website to see this technique and his price is one of the lowest. Enjoy!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Just booked Arch Bracher on the Pelican myself for a trip in July. I decided it was better to let someone else handle the wheel while I am on vacation. My boat really hates being in Carolina and like to have issues when my mechanic is 150 miles away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts