Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to fish with my father since last week, but neither the weather nor our schedules would cooperate until today. I couldn't talk him into a Bay trip for stripers despite the great tides and favorable forecast, so we hit Allen's Fresh in search of perch and pickerel.

We met up and were in the water by 10am near the beginning of the rising tide. I cleverly left my thermometer and salinity meter by the front door, but the water felt cooler than last week. We headed downstream and hit my favorite perch holes but didn't have any hits. Saw some fish jumping, so I threw on a little Chugbug but still had no hits. I did see several big flocks of Canada geese landing a ways ahead of us (little black dots in near the horizon):

We started working our way upstream at noon with only the occasional hit. At around 1pm, we had gotten about as far upstream as we could get without lugging our boats all over the place and decided to work our way back down. It sure is pretty up there, though:

On the way back down, Dad missed a fish without getting a good look at it, and I jigged up a tiny white perch with a 2" chartreuse Gulp grub, which saved me from getting skunked. :clapping2: The only other fish we saw today were a little white perch that I scared down by the bridge, and a really big carp that jumped clear out of the water. I had tried nearly everything in my tackle box: a spinnerbait, 3 colors and 2 sizes of curly tailed grubs (white, black, chartreuse, 2" and 3"), 2 colors of little Gulp grubs (chartreuse and white), a 3.5" Chug bug, a small Rapala floating minnow, and a 4" paddle-tail bass assassin (electric chicken). Dad tried two colors of 4" bass worms (black and electric blue), a small Mepps spinner rigged up with a weedless grub, and something else I can't remember.

The wind had picked up a bit by 3pm when we called it quits, and it might've been a good thing we didn't hit PLO or St. Jerome's. In all, it was a really nice day on the water.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Glad you had a nice day. Hearing the name Allen's Fresh brings back some really good memories. Just curious, have you tried in the spring for Hickories? My kayak has been on order for over a month and the Fresh has made the list of spots I want to try.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt C-Hawk--I've only fished there in the winter for yellow and white perch. I usually hit the Rappahannock in Fredericksburg for hickories in the spring. When I first moved here, I used to see a lot of people at Allen's Fresh in April, but I haven't seen as many people there during the past few years. I definitely want to check it out this spring.

Joe--I knew it. :52: Looking forward to your report. I've got to get my father used to kayaking in more open water. The upside is that Allen's Fresh is only an hour away from my folks' place, which lets us do quick outings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Please be advised there are a couple of public duck blinds down stream and upstream of rt234. Be careful out there it's that time of year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts